Carbon body and wheels

OB_DEWEY4

Registered
I was on someone's busa site and he had full carbon body panels and wheels with a carbon rim and magnesium spokes. First off, how strong are carbon wheels compared to steel or aluminum? How much do they cost with shipping? Does anybody have any experience with carbon body panels? Can you buy them piece by piece or only as a kit? Will the panels fit on the bike if say I buy the upper fairing and run the stock lowers for a while? Sorry about all the questions all at once but I've been out of bikes since about 1992 or so, a lot has changed since then.

A-Tech carbon panels are meant to be an exact replacement for the OEM panels. In my case this was not strictly true as I had panels made from a pre-production model Busa. They fit perfectly, just a couple of holes need to be enlarged slightly. The main complaint would be in fitting the inner cowls to the side cowls, as there are no internal fiitings I had to epoxy my own in, but this may have been fixed now. All this is rather minor as the quality of the workmanship and finished pieces is excellent.

Upper cowl fits with oem lowers and screen etc. A-Tech does not make a screen at this time, I would recommend a Kenz carbon race screen. The weave is identical to A-Tech and also gives you the improved protection and visibility as a double-bubble screen.

For A-Tech pricing and pictures
http://www.dazee.net/bikes/a-tech.htm

For my unpainted carbon busa
http://www.dazee.net/bikes/hcarbon1.jpg
http://www.dazee.net/bikes/hcarbon2.jpg
http://www.dazee.net/bikes/hcarbon3.jpg
http://www.dazee.net/bikes/hcarbon4.jpg

Thanks DAZEE, I saw the bike, looks good, but the prices are in yen and I don't know the exchange rate from yen to dollars(US). Would you happen to know it. Thanks.

Dewey,

http://www.a-tech.org/index-usa.htm

This is the english version of A-Tech's site with prices in dollars.

The wheels you are refering to are Dymag wheels and the model is the Custom Carbon.

http://www.superbikeracing.com is the us distributer.

$2650 for the set, the center mag section is available in different colors.

I should be getting mine by the end of next week, their finally on their way. I'll post pic's on my site.

http://www.indiepro.com/busa

[This message has been edited by Fast_Eddie (edited 30 July 2000).]

...the Custom Carbon is much stronger and lighter than the stock rim...the downside is sourceing your rear sprockets, which must be obtained from Dyamag or Sproket Specialies or fabricated....they are Aluminum and wear quickly...the difference in the handling characteristics of a Busa equiped with these wheels and set up with a properly adjusted suspension is remarkable...the tendency to stand on the brakes is eliminated...the bike is much more responsive and yet remains as unflappable as before...with a good suspension, those wheels and a set of Pilot Sports with a 190 sized rear tire and a 120 on the front, you can hang with anything on the roads no matter what they said in the magazine...in anything over third gear, notheing short of a ZX12 or another Busa really has a chance to stay with it, unless it is WAY not stock...these bike corner very well when set up for it, and those wheels are perhaps the single most importent part of the package...although expensive, they represent a cost effective alternative to the full carbon fiber wheels by delivering most of their benifts at half the price...

omega i have the marchesinis on my 750 gsxr fisrt of all they are not 100% magnesium second there not nearly as strong as dymags . dymags are the only wheel of this nature that are approved in the usa third my rear bent being mounted i will never own a set of these again fouth ducati signed a contract with dymag this year

[This message has been edited by OMEGA (edited 02 August 2000).]

JEFFW, what did the Sebimoto kit run you with shipping? I was looking at the A-tech and it was somewhere around $4k and I don't think those #'s included shipping. Also can you buy that kit in separate pieces and have them fit in with the surrounding OEM pieces?

...way to go, Omega! What do you use as a rear sprocket? I await a new Custom Carbon front rim and the chance to pull the rear one from the Wreck...

On the failure of wheels, *ANY*, and all wheels will fail when it's subjected to the right impact. We had a failure at Road America. The wheel broke into 3 different Parts.

And yes it was a Marchesini wheel, right off of a Yosh SuperBike.

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 31 July 2000).]

omega go with dymag you have many more options if want all mag you can choose from about 20 colors when i ordered my mag/carbons i was told by andrew that ted from t.a.w. was trying to get dymags from him because he couldnt get any marchesinis .also since i have both the paint on the marchesinis is thin dymags are powder coated if you want to see a pic of mine post your email address i'll send you a pic of mine

Koz, I know you and me have had our differences but that was a very eye opening post for me.
Definately nailed home my decision.
Thanks

well actually there is anotherplace in the usa to purchase dymags i just cant think of there name right now . anyway my wheels took 16 weeks and i prepaid 2650.00 andrew comes off being nice but i have my doubts i can understand his anger when my wheels finally arrived after i was lied to for 12 weeks my front tire was loosing air pressure imediatly so i called andrew and he said it was just not tight enough well i'm no idiot i had it tight so i was stuck with the shipping charges he said this didnt fall under warranty and for the record they shipped me the wrong sprocket and it has been 32 weeks and i still dont have it yet. if i purchase wheels again it will be from someother dymag distributor.

Last year the only magnesium wheel that was approved at the Isle of Man TT was the Dymag. They have since approved the carbon fiber. The Marchesini had experienced 13 failure in one year at the TT, that's why they are not approved. The reason no other mag. wheels compare is because of the manufacturing process and the design. Dymag is the only manufacture to die cast their wheels. All the others sand cast them. Die-casting produces a 33 percent stronger wheel and is much less porous. Also the design of the Dymag wheel is much different (better) then the others, which contributes to the reliability and strength. As far as weight the Marchesini wheel, it is a little lighter, which is because of the different design. The effect of less rotational mass (weight) is calculated at approx. 1.9rwhp (averaged) per pound reduction. Not to mention the ability to increase you're cornering speed. The gyro effect is reduced dramatically, which can give up to 20 mph increased cornering speeds. Then there is the effect on suspension and braking. Lighter and stronger wheels are the best performance return on investment you can make, by far.

Koz

[This message has been edited by Bill Koz (edited 02 August 2000).]

And if you live in the USA and only have Superbike Racing to deal with, then you get the shaft.

No matter how great the wheels are, if you can not get service to order them, or support on parts that have been ordered, then you are screwed.

You guys are making some big deal out of Dymag and it's certification for street use.

Jeffw - Bearings and sprockets can be aftermarket, what parts are you referring to. You can have the wheel made in 4 to 6 weeks if they're not in stock.

Koz

JeffW,

If your attitude here is an indication of the attitude you portrayed to Superbike Racing, then no wonder your having problems with the people over there.

I have been on and off the phone with both Andrew and Andrea many times (actually talked to Andrea this morning) and they are the nicest people to deal with before, during, AND after a purchase.

Regardless, your problem stems from a certain individual or two, it in no way reflects the reputaion of the product itself, or on a company as a whole. The wheels themselves, IMHO, are the best on the market.

Obviously you think so as well, why would you switch from your aftermarket wheels you originally had to the Dymags in the first place??

As far as waiting, never more than 4 weeks. They are made to order, never more than one pair on stock.

And yes, the certification on these wheels is a big deal to some of us. It says to some of us that they have a process on hand that someone has checked and approved upon for our use.

I have never had a single problem ordering or obtaining parts through Superbike Racing and have heard no other complaints from anyone else except you.

So, please, indulge us and let us know your situation instead of just saying we get the shaft dealing with them, because I just don;t see it that way.

Back