Car big enough

mvanlone

Registered
If you have a 2004 Grand Prix and you put a hitch on it. Would the car be ok to haul a 5x8 trailer with 2 hayabusas on it? What you think?

Grab the owners manual and read up. IMO, to much on the transmission.

Went through the same thing with my 2000 Taurus with V-6. I rented a U-Haul trailer, which are very heavy, when I bought my Busa. Had all I could do to pull that thing up grade.

With that said I went this route. Not enclosed but light weight at 390 pounds.

http://www.alumaklm.com/section....egory=2

Other members are more knowledgeable than me so they will chime in.

r8

Thanks guys. I am sure that that the trailer and the 2 busas will not be that heavy. It looks like I am good to go.

Your car hitch is probably a class 1 hitch, which means the TONGUE weight is like 200 lbs.

When it comes to class 1 hitches, tongue weight is what you have to watch.  Most trailers will put way too much weight on your hitch.  Max towing weight doesn't matter if your tongue weight has been exceeded.

I have a MS-1 trailer(a rail trailer) and it is class 1 rated.

I doubt you'll find any enclosed or flatbed trailers that are class 1. Rail trailers are pretty much it for class 1.

if you balance your load properly you can get away w/ it.. most of the lil stuff you can actually have the bike on it adn still move the trailer around by hand.. i know i do when storing my bike overnight in the yard... longer tongue will help too....

I have a 2007 subaru impreza not the turbo, and i pull a 5x7 trailer with my busa and my buddys gixr 1 all the time. went to florida twice with it. pulls very easy. maybe cause of the awd.

When Uhaul installed my type 1 hitch on my Nissan Altima (96,4cyl) I had to sign an acknowledgement that I would not tow more than 2,000 lbs with the vehicle. It seems like a Grand Prix should be able to beat that.

Altima.jpg

not sure, would seem like you could get away with it but like Charles said, the tongue weight can be the limiting factor. I would be leary of it but hey its your bikes, trailer and transmission
winkold.gif

I would say that you need to be very careful hauling it, sounds like you will be within 40-50% of your car's weight. If that trailer gets moving around too much it can and likely will flip your car if it decides to leave the highway. High winds or lots of side to side movement have been known to cause this to happen.

Even though my truck is rated to haul 8000lbs, I'm sure the 3000 we will be hauling to the bash will be interesting in the mountains
cool.gif

If you do it, take your time and balance the trailer so you have some tongue weight. Too little will cause it fish tail and get out of control, too much and you will over load your car. Be very careful.

Realize if you have an accident, the cops will check your vehicles gvwr and you risk a ticket or much worse if someone is injured or killed (I have seen this happen). Your tow capacity is very small with that car. If anything use a low weight open 4x8 trailer.

if you do not beat the crap out of it, it should do fine... a bit of descretion up the hills and down the road should keep it alive just fine..

Let's say ya need to drive a railroad spike into a tie. Which would you use? A claw hammer for a spike maul? Same priciple. Use the right tools for the job.

Back