Can you see me?

I neither have loud pipes or wear hi viz gear, and honestly can't remember the last time I had what I would even consider a close call. Black leathers, black helmet, blue bike, regular Silvania Silverstar ultra headlight, nothing special. I seldom ride in town other than passing through small burgs on the way to the sticks, so that may have a lot to do with it. Less opportunity. And I have a total distrust for my fellow road user. I see everybody and everything, and through the years have learned to read the language and predict what someone may/will do. Evade crisis before it becomes a crisis.
Around here cars are just one thing. You also have to deal with deer, dogs, occasional livestock (in one of my videos you'll see a large snapping turtle in the lane as I go by), and general pieces of vehicle laying in the road. Got to be able to react to a lot of things.
One of the biggest things I've seen people on bikes do that will make getting hurt a sooner or later for sure, is blindly ride into a busy intersection, trusting that everyone else will do the right thing. Zoom right through with someone waiting to pull out from the right and/or turn in from the left, and never even roll off the throttle, totally oblivious. I see the blank looks on their faces from the seat of my truck while waiting to make said left turn, focused straight forward, never even glance at me.
Hi viz gear looks impressive in the mirror and loud pipes will piss people off as you go by, but the business of keeping yourself alive and healthy ultimately falls on your riding skill and attention to surroundings.

Hey Sous. Ya'll have any openings there for a 7 level SSGT with Tech in mind (testing on the 1st, missed it by 1.53 last year) Turboprop mechanic? I could really use a new base right about now

Sorry bud, I am at a GSU and the mechanics are contractors.

I prefer to ride naked, everyone ALWAYS notices the naked guy, least thats been my experience at the mall :whistle:

The best mod is definately between your ears. Second for me is the HID I installed on low my low beam. Twice it has kept someone from pulling into my path.

i rock black and gray head to toe and the orange bus seems to do the rest. that color alone captures the eye and it works for me. i am not entirely convinced high vis is the way to go although it helps a bit.

Hi Viz Gear... Do you think it makes you more visable and, hence more safe?

What increases your safety more? Loud pipes or Hi Viz gear

Do you wear any Hi Viz gear? Why?

Do you look dorky wearing Viz Jacket/helmet?

Are you accident proof if you have both loud pipes and hi viz gear? ??? :laugh:
I don't wear high viz gear, but I do think it helps visibility, and whatever helps you get noticed can keep you alive longer, and thats a good thing in my book :thumbsup:

I do run aftermarket exhausts on all my bikes, not super loud, I use the quiet inserts, but def louder than stock. My main way of staying visible is leaving the factory reflectors and blinkers/tailight on, they definately get more attention than the tiny flush mounts......and having people clearly see your intentions before turning or braking will greatly reduce the chance of someone turning in front of you, cutting you off, or even rear-ending you. I also use hand signals and my headlight flasher switch in heavy traffic. Seems to be working so far...that and VERY defensive riding :laugh:

+10 on the HID. I regularly see folks starting to pull out and quickly hit the brakes. Seems like before the HID I just planned on them pulling out as they did.

I don't wear high viz gear, but I do think it helps visibility, and whatever helps you get noticed can keep you alive longer, and thats a good thing in my book :thumbsup:

I do run aftermarket exhausts on all my bikes, not super loud, I use the quiet inserts, but def louder than stock. My main way of staying visible is leaving the factory reflectors and blinkers/tailight on, they definately get more attention than the tiny flush mounts......and having people clearly see your intentions before turning or braking will greatly reduce the chance of someone turning in front of you, cutting you off, or even rear-ending you. I also use hand signals and my headlight flasher switch in heavy traffic. Seems to be working so far...that and VERY defensive riding :laugh:

The reason I posted is because I'm a believer in the Hi-Vis. I do commute into DC (officially the worst traffic in the US) a couple times a week. I had a long discussion with another rider who conceded begrudgingly that Hi Vis gear may help but he didn't like the look. Too, "loud" he said - but isn't that the point. I beleve the Hi Viz has limitations, but is most effective in heavy traffic and on overcast, dim, and rainy days. I live in an urban/suburban area so I take every advantage I can get. The HIDs are extremely popular amoung the commuting motorcyclist. I've yet to install, just another thing on the list. I also agree with leaving factory reflectors and blinkers intact. I also never remove the the fender/taillight essembly for the same reason. I even put writing (sticker) on the back of my helmet. I read that the mind is always collecting info and the highest info collecting area in humans is visual communication in writing. If they are reading my helmet they know I'm there. I have tons of riding strategies and thoughts for urban riding and I'll take any advantage no matter how small to stay safe and alive. And, as of today I'm intact and healthy.

BTW - there is lots of imperical evidence showing Hi Viz garments improve people's awareness, but alas none that directly indicates that it improves safety on a motorcycles.

Back