Riding gear predominately black or dark

ottafish

Registered
Just wondering about you guys in other parts of the world.
Down here in Australia, there is a distinct lack of gear in other colours apart from black and or dark colours.

It took me a while to find a couple jackets that have colour and some hi viz markings.

So, question is why is motorcycle gear predominately black and would you wear stuff that wasn't black by choice?

I like black, it's my favorite color.
I also like to blend in, and not be seen easily.
As well as I ride like I'm invisible and everyone's trying to hit me anyway, so reflective material is of no concern to me; however, it is on my black/silver Joe Rocket leathers. And, if it wasn't stitched on so well, I'de get rid of it.
Next suit will be a track only style, with no hi-vis stuff on it.
To each their own:beerchug:

Can you order from Revzilla there?
They have almost everything, and with excellent prices and easy gear returns/exchanges.

Black and white here

FFE288AA-094C-4A73-9742-57D5EF55A68E.jpeg

I got the suit at the same time when i bought the bike. At the time it fitted well...No i have a blue busa and a red zx 14...not so fitting anymore lol. But the suit was so expensive and is made of very good material that I dont want to buy a new one. Looks kinda funny now...but who cares...

But you are right... dominant colours here in canada are mostly black. (Not to forget the lame ones with the bright YELLOW jackets on the big BMW's haha...)

urlaub 09 179.JPG

Can you order from Revzilla there?
They have almost everything, and with excellent prices and easy gear returns/exchanges.

Yes. I've ordered a few bits from them. They do have alot of brand restrictions though where they won't ship to other places due to distribution rights of the local importers.

Interesting.. This is just a question for thoughts.
Why is black the predominant colour?
Is it what we have been expected to wear?
Is it an unofficial dress code?
Is it cheaper to make black gear?

I was just wondering why that's all..
In riding jeans, there's light and dark blue, black, grey, and I've seen green and orange in the custom shops.

b6758547825665ae55d596c5738f6c55~2.jpg

The above jacket is my favourite. Was a special order as it was near impossible to get in Australia

Last edited:
Interesting.. This is just a question for thoughts.
Why is black the predominant colour?
Is it what we have been expected to wear?
Is it an unofficial dress code?
Is it cheaper to make black gear?

I was just wondering why that's all..
In riding jeans, there's light and dark blue, black, grey, and I've seen green and orange in the custom shops.

View attachment 1596389

The above jacket is my favourite. Was a special order as it was near impossible to get in Australia

I would guess its a neutral colour and you can use it with any kinda bike...?!

I always thought black would be unpopular because its hard to spot someone in black gear especially on a black bike...

I got the suit at the same time when i bought the bike. At the time it fitted well...No i have a blue busa and a red zx 14...not so fitting anymore lol. But the suit was so expensive and is made of very good material that I dont want to buy a new one. Looks kinda funny now...but who cares...

But you are right... dominant colours here in canada are mostly black. (Not to forget the lame ones with the bright YELLOW jackets on the big BMW's haha...)

View attachment 1596387

You make the bird look small

I would guess its a neutral colour and you can use it with any kinda bike...?!

I always thought black would be unpopular because its hard to spot someone in black gear especially on a black bike...

I wear black Because it's hard to spot someone in black gear, especially on a black bike:thumbsup:
...and it's a neutral color you can use on any bike, lmao!
(also my favorite color, that and grey)

Tradition I think black is the color that most wore since motorcycling began black grey white with a little red here and there works for me I tried the HI VIZ thing but really did not like it but each to there own :thumbsup:

Story goes that riders and pilot's from as early as WW 1 wore jackets for safety and warmth and black was the most common colour available for reasons unknown

Back