Paint Names/Codes

coxy

Registered
Hi everyone, I have just bought a 2009 busa and found the org. I look forward to browsing all the info here and putting in where I can. My bike is gold and black. I want to buy some touch up paint to do a bit of tidying up but can't find the name of the gold paint. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the name of the colour or even better give me a code. I have found that the combination of gold and black has the Suzuki code FGG but this doesn't identify a particular colour. Thanks, Coxy

Checking the ColorRite wizard, there is no gold color listed for the 2009 Hayabusa. Searching for 2008, the results include Medium Gold (the wheel color for that year) with a paint code of 0FR.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but might be a good starting point.

According to the parts listings for the model FGG in 2009, it used paint code YMG (Metallic Majestic Gold) and 019 (Space Black).
This color combination was also used on the 2008 GSXR-1000 and can be ordered that way.

Be careful, "touching" up a metallic color may look worse than leaving it alone.

This is an old thread but because I have a Metallic Gold 09' as well some and someone may search this later on, info I learned on this unique paint color may be helpful.

The Suzuki YMG which can be found on ColorRite's site is not the correct color by itself (the aerosol paint kits are excellent BTW) which is why it's not listed under the 09' Busa listings, it is close but a shade or two too dark. The 08' GSXR 1k was also painted YMG and is a simple primer, color then clear coat (no base coat). I believe the 09' Busa is a Tri-Coat paint which would be primer, base color, color coat, clear coat. If it had a light colored base coat I believe the YMG (which is also it's paint code color) would be spot on. To be clear the 09' Busa metallic Gold Busa's paint code is YMG, it's just missing a step to be right.

Only problem is this is a Euro only bike, very few were made and none for the US, so finding the base color # has proved difficult. I actually prefer the non-tri-coat YMG to the Tri-Coat YMG as it's a little bit richer and darker. If you're touching up it's the closest thing you'll get but won't match exactly, in the right light it won't even be perceptible, in different light it will be obvious.

Attached is a pic where I painted the damaged area surrounding the ram air intake cover on the left side. I taped off a clean line around it so you can see along the curves where the light changes that it goes from matching to too dark. I ended up taping off the other undamaged side in the same pattern and painted it to match. Would've just painted the whole Cowling the same color but the gold color changing decals on the nose are no longer available and a new complete YMG body cowling is $2.5K out of Japan, if you can find them.

IMG_6733.jpg

Last edited:
Back