Can you get hydraulic fluid on the lower cowling with a tire change?

84Ninja

Registered
I was washing the Busa after having the tires changed and paint began to come off on the right lower cowl along the lip. I shat bricks when I saw this happen. Is it possible the guy who did the work somehow caused the fluid to spray?? Sorry for not being mechanically inclined enough to know better, but it seems like it would be unlikely. Thanks if you can offer your imput!

Kurt

heard of some people using brake fluid to "degloss" tires instead of 100 miles of street action.???

I remember ,years ago,seeing pics of this happening. Gas from the over-flow line getting on the bodywork and lifting the paint along the edge.This, on the gen 1's. Mine even did it once,too much gas in the tank.Luckily mine was OK. Could this be the cause???? :beerchug:

Hi Demmy, I'm not sure, but the brakes felt the same afterwards. Thanks.

I think he is asking the question because nothing will screw up a paint job like brake fluid spilled on your plastics.

If he bled the brakes (and he may have if they leaked at all when he took them off) and wasn't careful then the answer is YES.

Thanks gentleman. If I post a pic, will that help to figure out what happened? When I originally bought the bike, it was never there, then I washed it one day and off came the paint. I wondered if the previous owner did a cover-up somehow, as well. Its so hard to keep things in top shape :unhappy:

I've changed my tires more than a few times and never messed with brake fluid :whistle:

I think he is asking the question because nothing will screw up a paint job like brake fluid spilled on your plastics.

Yep,

And if he Bled the breaks theres a good chance he got some on the plastics, I actually saw a guy once clean up a spill with a rag, then later used the same rag to wipe a smudge off is plastics, Not Good

Thanks for the info, guys. What's interesting is that the paint looked fine until I wiped it with the soapy sponge and off came the paint! It isn't too noticable, but I always feel burned out after freaking out when finding a significant blemish. Thanks again :beerchug:

Back