Can 1 person change an exhaust ?

C_Henry

Registered
Just wanted to know if changing out a stk exhaust for a 4 into 1 can be done by 1 person ? I'm gonna try it today as its just me here by myself.
biggrin.gif

Just wanted to know if changing out a stk exhaust for a 4 into 1 can be done by 1 person ? I'm gonna try it today as its just me here by myself.  
biggrin.gif
As long as you have good solid stands, should be no problem. Are you doing the pair valve block off as well?? Might as well do that at the same time ;)

There is a great thread or tutorial on installing an Akrapovic system, I couldn't find it in my search though
sad.gif

I did mine with no stands... and I'm not a mechanic.

But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Seriously, just go slow and follow the instructions. You will be fine.

Ok guys, just took the stk exhaust off with help. There's a little more to it than meets the eye. Had to remove the fan, and tilt the radiator forward. I'll update you later on the install.

You might want to check out the threads here on that whole deal. Some things may not be a surprise to you if you do.

I did it two days after I had lasik surgery. Couldn't really see crap. Did it all by feel and really had no issues except for being a dumbass and putting my hand on the headers (while it was running) to check to see if there were any leaks.

It won't be too bad... Just getting to those header bolts is kind of tough with fan/radiator in the way... You can definetly do it by yourself though... It just may take you some time to make enough room to get the header off/on...

You will NEED to do the PAIR block off to prevent back firing... When you first swap the exhaust, she will backfire on deacceleration...

CLoud

and the other thing, those gaskets for the exhaust ports.... you might find that you will need to replace them while you are in there.... could be too late but if you get any leaks, I bet those are the culprit.
cool.gif

Just to note you can reuse the header bolts when reinstalling your header pipe.  Some of the header bolt heads will snap when reinstalling (retorqing to spec) the same bolts more than twice.  
Oh yeah one other tib bit of advice, cut and tape a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator side that faces the header to avoid smashing its fins.

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129833893 -->

Call me tonight Curt right before you do the install... I can give ya some pointers if you like...

All hardware is included, but as Rythm said, you will need to reuse your header bolts... I have retorqued mine many times and haven't had'em snap yet...
biggrin.gif
But it is true that each time you troque a bolt is not as strong as it was the time before...

CLoude

Ok guys, we got it ! I had a friend stay up after working all night and help and its on! Really had forgot how good that 4 into 1 sound was !
I did have to remove 1 oil cooler line, and the fan. But other than that i just had to move the radiator forward. One other thing was we coudn't get the bottom bolt in. We pushed and pulled and the holes would not line up, so i left it out. Don't think it will hurt it though.
Really think i would have caught hell by myself. But we got it on. She looks and sounds great ! Thanks alot for the sweet deal Cloud9 !
biggrin.gif

Gonna try and get some pics up.
cool.gif

All hardware is included, but as Rythm said, you will need to reuse your header bolts... I have retorqued mine many times and haven't had'em snap yet...   But it is true that each time you troque a bolt is not as strong as it was the time before...
[/QUOTE]

U Lucky Bastid
biggrin.gif
 , I was doing fine on my third attempt until I started torqing on the last bolt when it pop on my azz  
sad.gif
. No worries though, it only took the brutha 5 mins to get da beyoootch easied out.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129837559 -->

Back