Camcorder Choices

myhayabusa

Registered
I recently purchased and installed a tank camera mount from SportBikeCam.com (part # SBC 22). I am very happy with the materials used and the level of craftmanship. Installed, the mount is Solid.

My issue is camera selection. With no shortage camcorders choices, choosing the right one has become a bit of a chore. Factors involved are, Form/function, Durability/ease of use, shutter speed/picture quality.

Going to best-buy and talking to the rep there was about as useful as another hole in the head. Alas, I went there to buy a camera so I bought the cheapest SD Card camcorder they had. A Panasonic SDR-S7P/PC ($180.00 cam + $30 8GB SD Card). I will be doing a test run today and see how it works out.

This will not be my permanent cam, but would rather get a quality one. I have been warned by the mount company that vibrations will destroy your camcorder over time. My question for the guru's out there, what camera can I get that will produce superior picture quality with sufficient FPS speed to function at above hwy speeds clearly, be able to handle the vibrations of riding? Battery life is a factor as well as suseptability to the elements. price is really not a factor as long as it is below $1,000 I would prefer to keep it around $500.

:bowdown: Praise to the All-Knowing Hayabusa god in the sky! :bowdown:

I recently purchased and installed a tank camera mount from SportBikeCam.com (part # SBC 22). I am very happy with the materials used and the level of craftmanship. Installed, the mount is Solid.

My issue is camera selection. With no shortage camcorders choices, choosing the right one has become a bit of a chore. Factors involved are, Form/function, Durability/ease of use, shutter speed/picture quality.

Going to best-buy and talking to the rep there was about as useful as another hole in the head. Alas, I went there to buy a camera so I bought the cheapest SD Card camcorder they had. A Panasonic SDR-S7P/PC ($180.00 cam + $30 8GB SD Card). I will be doing a test run today and see how it works out.

This will not be my permanent cam, but would rather get a quality one. I have been warned by the mount company that vibrations will destroy your camcorder over time. My question for the guru's out there, what camera can I get that will produce superior picture quality with sufficient FPS speed to function at above hwy speeds clearly, be able to handle the vibrations of riding? Battery life is a factor as well as suseptability to the elements. price is really not a factor as long as it is below $1,000 I would prefer to keep it around $500.

:bowdown: Praise to the All-Knowing Hayabusa god in the sky! :bowdown:

Hey I just mounted a JVC everio camcorder model gz-ms100u it is clear takes out any shakes and auto focuses perfectly everyone who has seen my video's on my bike loves it the first thing they say is wow that is so clear and my windsheild has a soft tint but through the camera it is clear with no sun reflection at all nad let me tell you this it is clear as a bell even at 180 you can read the entire dash and see everything in front of you it is so clear that a car was in front of me about 35 yards and you could read their plate.:thumbsup:

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC53
The 3 factors that led me to buying this to for a bike cam were:
1 - Cheap (220€), so if something horrible happens I won't lose a fortune.
2 - Records on Tape. Because, again, should something horrible happen... a crash, a hedious bump, whatever, tape just keeps recording. If it stops, it stops, but it's physical, so you can retrieve it later. On DVD or something else... if it doesn't end the recording properly... you might have difficulties retrieving it later on.
3 - Firewire ports that allow quick Cam-to-PC transfers.

It has a 700something resolution by the way, so it's pretty decent.
It also handles speed bumps and vibrations pretty well.

You can check videos with it at:
YouTube - BillyNero's Channel

(youtube has maimed the quality of the videos, but you can get the idea, I think)

Last edited:
Don't use any camcorders that use Optical Stabilization. Your bike will shake the lens servo to death.

GoPro makes a water tight camera that makes descent recordings. It records at 640i (NTSC standard) 4:3. They can record for 58 minutes on a 2GB SD card. Those little buggers are tough as nails. I dragged mine in a corner and it didn't miss a beat. It comes with several mount options.

I also use a Sportbike Cam mount for my wide angle HD recorder. It is a Samsung SD camcorder. The recording quality is outstanding. I can record for 4.5 hours continuously in SuperFine mode (1440 x 1080i).

Back