Camcorder help

MiniDV does not copy from the camera to the computer from the tape. You need to capture the video via firewire. Try installing Microsoft Movie Maker (its free) if you don't already have it. Then click capture video from device. The camera should appear as a valid device if all of the drivers are installed.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 27 2006,19:34) MiniDV does not copy from the camera to the computer from the tape. You need to capture the video via firewire. Try installing Microsoft Movie Maker (its free) if you don't already have it. Then click capture video from device. The camera should appear as a valid device if all of the drivers are installed.
I am trying to capture the video. Tried using Roxio which I used before with no problems, also Ulead software.
I'll try the one listed before, but I remember seeing on Microsofts webstie that they admit there is a problem with the service pack 2 and digital camcorders. I'm gonna email them and see if there is a hotfix for it.

(Revlis @ Dec. 27 2006,12:32) Burn Em' Both, Sleep Better...

OK seriously though fug the whole "Plug the Camera Into computer thing" get a card reader for $20 if you don't already have one and plug the memory car directly into the card reader into any open usb2 port. I have yet to find ANY of the bundled software with digicams to be worth a damn, not once.

If that doesn't work, sell all of your Sony stuff on ebay, and buy a computer without all of Sony's crippling proprietary bullcrap, you'll be much happier.

Other than TV's, PS2/3 and their ES line of Home Audio, I think Sony has sorta lost it's way... They aren't doing too good right now and it's their culture of "Everyone will do what we tell them" that is tearing em' down... Their laptops and digital camera's have done nothing but torture me over the years... Been through a few of them at work and two personal at home and will NEVER buy another Sony Camera or Laptop. They cannot seem to get either working right.
The video is on tape.
Mini DV.
Only good for the card in the camcorder is to take crappy pictures.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 27 2006,19:34) MiniDV does not copy from the camera to the computer from the tape. You need to capture the video via firewire. Try installing Microsoft Movie Maker (its free) if you don't already have it. Then click capture video from device. The camera should appear as a valid device if all of the drivers are installed.
If you are talking about windows movie maker then yes, I have it.
CLick on capture from video device or something like that and it says that none is found.
Camcorder shows that it is connected to the computer, but the cpu doesn't see it in any programs or in the device manager.

I will make a donation to the board in the name of the person that finds a cure.
Everyone keeps pointing fingers at someone else and it's getting me mad.

Pipe, shoot me an email, cat3n4@gmail.com I have the sony drivers still in a folder, if nothing else, its free and may work. I'll be up for a couple more hours and will check periodically. The file is only 1.4xmb so small enough to email.

Charlie

Cant get my email to send a .exe file...tried all the emails I have, hotmail, gmail and army ako...arses. Sorry man.

(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 27 2006,18:47)
(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 27 2006,19:34) MiniDV does not copy from the camera to the computer from the tape.  You need to capture the video via firewire.  Try installing Microsoft Movie Maker (its free) if you don't already have it.  Then click capture video from device.  The camera should appear as a valid device if all of the drivers are installed.
I am trying to capture the video. Tried using Roxio which I used before with no problems, also Ulead software.
I'll try the one listed before, but I remember seeing on Microsofts webstie that they admit there is a problem with the service pack 2 and digital camcorders. I'm gonna email them and see if there is a hotfix for it.
I have no problems with SP2 and Digital Cameras. But I don't have a Sony.

Did you install the Picture Package software that came with the camcorder? If you did, uninstall it because it doesn't work with SP2.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 27 2006,23:26)

Did you install the Picture Package software that came with the camcorder? If you did, uninstall it because it doesn't work with SP2.
Yes, I installed in and have removed it.
Didn't work before or after.
No problem here with the digital camera.

(CAT3 @ Dec. 27 2006,21:41) Cant get my email to send a .exe file...tried all the emails I have, hotmail, gmail and army ako...arses.  Sorry man.
Zip or RAR it to email. All of the mail systems bloack exe because of the threat of it being a virus.

(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 28 2006,04:57)
(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 27 2006,19:34) MiniDV does not copy from the camera to the computer from the tape.  You need to capture the video via firewire.  Try installing Microsoft Movie Maker (its free) if you don't already have it.  Then click capture video from device.  The camera should appear as a valid device if all of the drivers are installed.
I have no problems with SP2 and Digital Cameras.   But I don't have a Sony.

Did you install the Picture Package software that came with the camcorder?  If you did, uninstall it because it doesn't work with SP2.
Sorry, I meant camcorder not camera.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 28 2006,07:16)
(Pipefighter248 @ Dec. 28 2006,04:57)

Sorry, I meant camcorder not camera.
What kind are you using?
I'll buy a new firewire this weekend and hope that it's bad.
After that I have no idea.

Don't like to but I'm about to give up.
Manufacturer supports aren't helping and tonight Sony finally said to send in the camcorder to get it looked at. Of course it isn't under warrenty.

Tried on 3 different computers with no luck, but they all 3 are the same brand and same operating system.
I'm going to get a new firewire cord this weekend and try it, and then as a last option put my 1394 card into dad's old compaq running windows 98 and see if it works on it.
If not, looks like I need another camcorder.
sad.gif

I appreciate all the help from all the members, but have to give a definete shout out to Cat3. Charlie has sent me multiple emails and PM's with suggestions and support.
super.gif
beerchug.gif

I have the Samsung MiniDV.  I plugged them into the firewire port and XP SP2 recognized them and installed the drivers.  I did find some sites that say you should install the SP1 1394 drivers over top of the SP2 drivers.

You may want to try this:
Hot fix

The MS issue is for poor performance, but I've read that it works for unrecognized devices as well.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 28 2006,22:53) I have the Samsung MiniDV. I plugged them into the firewire port and XP SP2 recognized them and installed the drivers. I did find some sites that say you should install the SP1 1394 drivers over top of the SP2 drivers.

You may want to try this:
Hot fix

The MS issue is for poor performance, but I've read that it works for unrecognized devices as well.
Already tried that hotfix.
sad.gif

Bought a new firewire cable and it still doesn't work.
sad.gif

I just got laid off yesterday, so I won't be able to buy a new camcorder.

I'll just keep trying.
Going to dad's in a while and try it on his old compaq running windows 98 to see if it works.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks.

Just to let everyone know, it was a problem with the camcorder.
sad.gif

Found another one, pluged it in and windows recognized it straight away.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Pipe, in one of those links I sent via pm, a forum for that kind of stuff, one of the guys had the same problem....man, that sux.

Back