HD Camcorder

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
I'm in the market for a HD camcorder! Really looking hard at the Canon HV20...
Anyone have any experience with the new HD camcorders? Watched a video my brother shot with his Sony and was blown away! Also heard that the HDD aren't suited well for recording from a moving bike. To much movement/vibration... Not sure if thats true or not.

Bug, you do not want to mount a HDD or DVD recording device to the Busa. If its a good system, the vibrations will cause them to go into protection mode, which will prevent damage but will stop any recording. Not so good unit will damage the media and heads.

I've seen them padded in trunks, tank bags, and backpacks with remote cameras mounted to the bike, but I don't know of and HD remote cameras.

I recently bought a CanonA630 powershot. Its actually a still photo camera, but with a 4gig card, i can do a 33 min movie- with sound. I needed the still capabilities for work documentation, Takes pretty decent video shots. And the price? $200.00!
I also noticed that the AA(4) batteries last a long time.

I recently bought a CanonA630 powershot. Its actually a still photo camera, but with a 4gig card, i can do a 33 min movie- with sound. I needed the still capabilities for work documentation, Takes pretty decent video shots. And the price? $200.00!
I also noticed that the AA(4) batteries last a long time.
I guess that's OK for a still camera. It isn't shooting High Definition video which is what ks-waterbug is looking for. I'm getting 2 1/2 hours of video with sound on a 2 GB card with my DVR at the same resolution as your camera.

super.gif
PM -->
edubb1971 @ Nov. 06 2007 said:
1215138[/ATTACH] PM]
http://www.bestbuy.com/site....0340886

Here's the one I have, and I love it
Do you have that mounted to the Busa?
No not yet trying to find the best mount to have it ready for summer, just got it a little while age. The quality and recording is so easy, you can set up by sense its got alot of features I have'nt even played with yet

super.gif

Yes, thats a nice camera but "D" is correct looking to go High Def...
I didn't really see myself going this route but after watching my little bro's video cam in action I was hooked. These things have been out for the better part of a year (consumer versions) was hoping someone else had some experience to share. A little worried about windows vista and the edit playback capabilities of these things.

I have the HV20. Love it. Can't mount it on bike, plan to mount it on my helmet occasionally. The "Optical Stabilization" makes it worthelss to bike mount, but it is AWESOME for everything else..... except low light at night. Also bought a couple of nice R0DE mics, one stereo and one mono shotgun, also are excellent.

I have no complaints about the camera. The video is just amazing if you have an HD TV. With proper lighting and setup I would say you could shoot video as good as PBS HD and DISCOVERY CHANNEL - at least good enough that the AVERAGE VIEWER would not even notice. There is getting to be more selections of HD cams coming out every few months, there is even rumors of a newer better version of HV20
http://hv20.com
is a decent resource for research

um, editing.... I've not done any yet. I hear Vista has HDV format built in to it's Movie Maker, I plan to get which ever editor is super easy to use and is fast. The way the HDV format works, there are not FULL FRAMES for each but a buildup from previous frames... or something like that.... so editing might be more of a pain in HD land. Still worth the quality though

No complaints, plenty to rave about, I'd recomend it to anyone. There might be better out there now. After I purchased, I stopped looking around
smile.gif

This is exactly the nudge I was looking for... What keeps you from mounting this to your ride? To much vibration? I thought tape was the solution to the vibe problem HDD's were experiencing... Speaking of tape do you have to use the HD style of tape or does it really matter? Man you just made my day!

Reguardless of what Sony Techs tell you [and I talked to a couple of them] their Steady Sure Shot stabilizer IS physical and not DIGITAL. Optical floats the lens in a movable contraption and is better for everything EXCEPT mounting it to a vibrating piece of machinery - it just becomes a jittery blur and there is no way to shut off it's physical mounting. Mounting to my helmet [foam and duct tape - don't ask!] cuts vibration AND jarring quite a bit and should be usable. I have not done this with the HV20 yet, but have with my other cam. Works great.

Yes, TAPE is better for a vibratey filming, but the Optical Stabilizer wrecks that option. I use STANDARD MiniDV tape, not the special over priced HD DV tapes. They have not had any problems that I notice, and I did a bunhc of research before going down that path. I suspect the HD tapes are of better quality tape-wise, but it's digital: either works or it don't and the regular tapes work. Walmart seems to have the best price on MiniDV for walkin. I bet online is cheaper somewhere. You can't go wrong in HD. Crap looks INCREDIBLE!

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
has lots of info and helped me make my decision to purchase the HV20

I assume you have HD TV? I have a 50" plasma that does 720P native, STILL looks incredible. I can only imagine it at 1080i

Only drawback I can think of is HD related, not HV20 related: you can't burn HD DVD's yoruself without extra expense, and you can't really share them with friends who dont have HD!!! but you can ALWAYS scale stuff back to regular DVD for burning - so consider what you want to accomplish before jumping onto HD recording

one more thing: I did not wait for 3 chips HD, it might be out now. That would be even better, but more expensive also I bet

holy crap! HV20 is now topping the charts at camcorderinfo.com That's pretty cool. It was like #5 when I bought mine last year

Sweet... yes, read the reviews and it had made the top of the list. Best part is I can pick it up for just under $800. Thanks for the reply!
beerchug.gif

might be personal preference here, but even a $40 wide angle lens can make a huge difference in field of view filming. I had to buy a couple ring adjusters to use my old lenses, but now they all fit my HV20 and add great perspectives for inside shots and close ups

Back