Camcorders

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a camcorder to mount on my bike and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good one. I don't know much about them. I would like to be able to take some good still pictures with it also and also be able to hook a helmet cam to it in the future. If you could post some pic.s of yours and how you mounted it would be grateful. Would i need one with the image stabilization also? Thanks in advance for the help. :thumbsup:

Mr Ball, to answer your original question, most modern camcorders you buy will have the image stabilization built in already. One bit of advice is you can't use a CD-Rom type, a camcorder that saves directly to a CD. We've tried that and the vibration was too much. Mini-DV worked great, but those are becoming more obsolete in favor of just memory sticks. Don't think I would spend a zillion bucks on the camcorder either, I slowly beat mine to hell have recording about 20 some hours of ride video over peroid of a year.

Also note in the old days, we'd simply plug the bullet cam into the camcorder, but am told those types of inputs are becoming more rare. Plus the afttermarket suppliers of the bullet cams (like MotoComm & MotoCam) have all gone to proprietary plugs.

Back then it was ChaseCam.com that we were using to shoot all our video.

Nowadays, both ChaseCam, MotoCam, MotoComm, VioSport, The Elmo, etc all over complete units ranging from $300-$2000+ for a self contained system.

I sell/stock the MotoComm, which is a good entry level system for your basic user. Complete kit at a reasonable price. Buy Now is here.

I could go on, but will leave ya with that. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'd recommend the hero cam by go pro Digital Hero Camera Home It can be bike or helmet mounted and records straight to an SD card.

I have a helmet cam by hoyttech which runs to a canon zr200 camcorder. It works well but I'd rather not have a cord and need the separate camcorder.

Here's a vid I shot with it last year. The resolution is about 1/10 of what is possible as I had to compress the file to upload it to youtube.

My God, you dont have much to live for do ya, that scares the hell out of me just watching it. you do that in Louisiana and youd probably wind up in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
My God, you dont have much to live for do ya, that scares the hell out of me just watching it. you do that in Louisiana and youd probably wind up in jail

Lane splitting isn't illegal in CA, (not saying what I was doing was legal :whistle:) but that honestly was light traffic and a slow speed and its an every single day occurrence.

To each his own. No big deal.

Here is my set up...

009.jpg

RED ROCK LOOP - LiveVideo.com

Doesn't look like Sony wants to make video cameras the can use external video feeds anymore. Canon doesn't list any current models with video input either.

Back