CALIFORNIA stupid laws

oneclassic70

Registered
So if purchasing a bike from out of state... they must have the label on it that says it conforms to US and california epa regulations which is utter BS. So I am wondering if this label that is generally on left side of the Hayabusas or GSXR's is obtainable from a dealership? anyone have any knowledge on this issue? Thanks..

I think there's more to it than that. If it's a new bike , what you stated is probably true, but I think use bikes are treated differently. Someone that knows should be along.

^^^^Agreed.

Bringing a bike in from another state Shouldn't have to have that sticker.
Cars can be transferred to CA. They may have to pass emissions testing, not sure if they get a sticker at that point.

The emissions for bikes are different than a car I believe.

so for example.. found an 07 Busa with 4500 miles on it that came from Florida and guy cant register and now due to back injury cant ride it... I have a speedometer with 13k on it.. I should be able to swap it and register it then I am assuming due to the miles.. but does it have to have that sticker also or would this allow it to be registered. Ive went to ca dmv website but its not clear as to if one or other or both are needed.. thanks for the input. I was also looking at a gen 2 2008 model with 5100 miles on it.. sold my 06 last mth with intentions on a 2009 zx14 that is sweet and seller is lagging in getting bike to me meaning wanting to get it tuned, diagnostically checked and ready so no comebacks. has 8400 miles on it and $4k in upgrades....but am missing the Busa now ...I already know im gonna hear a lashing on this one... lol.. its ok... im ready...

I know it used to be if it was a new,non CA spec bike(0 miles)you'd never be able to register it,and if it was a used bike it must have 7,500 hundred miles(or will be considered "new")and didn't have to be a CA spec bike to be registered.Have a friend who bought an '08 Busa from the East coast with 4,000 miles on it and had it shipped out here not knowing about the minimum 7,500 mile crap,DMV totally black flagged it/told him he'd never be able to register it/if he was caught riding it it would be impounded,etc.I've lived out here 20 years and didn't know about that bullshyt(neither did he)until that incident.As far as I know the only difference between a 49 state model and the CA model(Busas anyway) is that stupid charcoal canister they stick in the Busa's tail,which I pitched anyway as soon as I bought mine.When I bought mine new in 2011 I was looking at some from AZ and the dealers said they were CA spec,but I would still have to pay the CA sales tax,registration fees,etc.

Well, sounds like a 3000 mile road trip is in order to get her over the hump. All these rules seem kind of silly don't they. In the end it just turn it into a hassle for the residents of California. Like everything else they started out with good intensions. With the hills and valleys and all the people you get smog trapped in the air which is not good for anyone. So the solution they came up with is lets imrpove the situation by making all of our vehicles cleaner. The manufacturers step up and lower the emissions on the vehicles, and everyone is happy.

However, now you cannot bring in a bike with less than 7500 miles on it so you have too switch out the speedo. Sometimes peoples good intentions just get complicated by all the rules and fine points.

The EPA thing they may be talking about might also be on the muffler. I read about something (mostly skimmed because it doesn't apply to my 02) that 2013 and newer bikes with stock AND aftermarket exhaust need a tag on the system to prove its EPA approved for noise emissions.

But I do know ca has had emission parts put on ca bikes since like 05 or so. So just like a car if the tag doesn't say ca it can't be reg in ca I think. Good luck,

I just called a place called DMV express here in Redding. Asked the man on other end the important questions. The bike must have over 7500 miles in order to register. if under this, then this is where the epa sticker stating conforms to US and California must be on this sticker. any bikes over 10 years old.. no worries on any of these items. For sure a bike that old should have many more miles on it.. go figure. lol.. anyhow.. this clears up some info.. maybe this should be pinned for future references. ?

I just called a place called DMV express here in Redding. Asked the man on other end the important questions. The bike must have over 7500 miles in order to register. if under this, then this is where the epa sticker stating conforms to US and California must be on this sticker. any bikes over 10 years old.. no worries on any of these items. For sure a bike that old should have many more miles on it.. go figure. lol.. anyhow.. this clears up some info.. maybe this should be pinned for future references. ?

Ha maybe a stay out of California thread with all our stupid laws.

The thing that sucks though. Is being 1 hour from desert, mountains, less for lakes and rivers, forests, the Pacific Ocean, and pretty much any terrain you can think of is just to irresistible for me to move out of state.

The first out of state Busa I registered in Cali was under 7,500 miles and had aftermarket exhaust (the EPA sticker your refering to is actually stamped into the stock mufflers). Inspector informed me that the bike failed inspection due to these two factors (which I was unaware of at the time) and I would not be able to register the bike in Cali. I then took my failed inspection form and put it on the bottom of my stack of paperwork and went back inside, when I got back to the window/clerk I had a blank check on top, I said "all set, how much do ya want?". Guess what, she never even looked at the inspection form, just took my money, gave me my plate, sticker and temp registration and off I went. In my experience their primary focus is on the money.

I guess I'm screwed because my '12 only have 1200miles on it, I heard that it is different for military out of state, can anyone confirm? I will be moving there in September and just got a place in vista about 50 miles from work just so that I can actually spend some time on two wheels... maybe I just have to register the bike in FL and ride that way, because there is no way I'm keeping my rainbow Hawaii plates there...

I guess I'm screwed because my '12 only have 1200miles on it, I heard that it is different for military out of state, can anyone confirm? I will be moving there in September and just got a place in vista about 50 miles from work just so that I can actually spend some time on two wheels... maybe I just have to register the bike in FL and ride that way, because there is no way I'm keeping my rainbow Hawaii plates there...

Yeah keep your registration (Hawaii or Florida) and put in some miles before you change registration here.

If it is currently registered in you name mileage and EPA stamps DO NOT matter. You shouldn't have any problems registering you Busa in CA. The 7500mi/EPA stamps/etc is if your in CA and buying an out of state bike

Back