Bye, Bye to the Busa? Maybe.... What do you all think?

Well,,,
So heres what happened over the weekend. I took my bike to the shop and explained to him what was going on. He told me that the bike by the gauge is not over heating, but it shouldn't be so hot between my legs. When I was there, I saw a cruiser that caught my eye. It was a 2011 Vulcan Nomad 1700, black and grey. Just like this one:

Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad - YouTube[/url]

I had the wife sit on it and she really liked it and said we could do longer rides on it then the Busa. I also felt like maybe it was time to slow down and enjoy life, since the baby turns 1 soon. I also don't ride the Busa, because of the heat problem. Well they offered me 8k for my bike and the Vulcan for 12k. Its new and the payment is $80 per month for 36 months. We are trying to buy a house too, so money is important. These are nice bikes and the wife saw us going distance on this thing.

What does everyone think of the bike and deal? I paid $10,135 out the door in march of '09 for my '08 left over. So 8k is a great trade in amount, in my opinion.

I can't load the pics and videos of the baby for some reason. She turns 1 in 10 days.
Its a shame to get rid of the busa, which is an awesome ride, for what could be a simple problem. But you do need to take your riding partner (the wife) into the equation. If she's not too comfy on the busa and you want to slow down some the Vulcan may be the ticket :thumbsup: If your not big into speed you won't miss the busa at all. If you like the rush of big acceleration you'll miss it a lot. Your call :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
2Wheels2Live,
You could not be more right. There is nothing like just riding along at 60.. then left foot..down..down..and next thing you are at 150.... I will miss that I think.
As for a different shopt.. their isn't one.. I know. I know..look it up.. Suzuki dealership, philadelphia, pa.. there basically 2 in the area. Phillycyclecenter had my bike for 3 weeks for heat problem and to do the recall. I finally got it back, they said, they could not figureout heat problem, stayed below the half way mark.. so took it to crossroads, they couldn't figure it out either. but then i found out the other shop didn't even do the recall after 3 weeks...
I have the Suzuki extended warranty on the bike. So basically going to cost me nothing, but if it stays that hot, I will not ride it. I never did this before an idiot knocked it over. But I also push it way to hard on that amazing, beautiful lady.. she is all any man could ever want and more.. at 6'3" I ride that thing like a cruiser most of the time...
But, I am so torn. I will never get more on trade in then I will now

natalieswing.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

2011-02-26_15.34.33.jpg

I am getting 8k for it.. M109R retail for 140999, getting it for 11999,, plus 0% financing.. will never be a better time to trade it in then now... When we were on the vulcan, she said she could see us riding down to the shore on it, crusising along... she never said that about the busa... so i think she also wants something we can just cruise and look good on... I am so torn still.. if she doesnt like the M109R passenger seating then I will probably???? I have no idea at this point, what to do...

I am getting 8k for it.. M109R retail for 140999, getting it for 11999,, plus 0% financing.. will never be a better time to trade it in then now... When we were on the vulcan, she said she could see us riding down to the shore on it, crusising along... she never said that about the busa... so i think she also wants something we can just cruise and look good on... I am so torn still.. if she doesnt like the M109R passenger seating then I will probably???? I have no idea at this point, what to do...
If she plans on riding with you a lot then maybe something more comfy is a good choice. Nothing like riding with your lady :thumbsup: But if she rarely ever rides with you then you should probably get something you like more. Have you checked to make sure all the fairing pieces that shield you from heat are still in place after the busa got knocked down. I guarantee you I'd have that problem fixed very quickly. If the bikes not actually overheating then its just the heat not being directed away from you like it should. Simple fix if you just pull some plastic and take a look.....problem will probably be very easy to see :thumbsup:
I was in the same boat as you with the wife riding passenger. I got the busa because it was a nice compromise. The few times my wife comes with me its comfy enough for her. The majority that I ride solo I still have my sportbike. Can't beat the busa for versatility :bowdown:

Nothing wrong with getting a bike you both can enjoy. I plan on getting a second bike soon so when we ride together it more comfy for both of us on long hauls. Its all about enjoying it with the ones you love. People always say "Happy wife = happy life" I find this statement true.

If u have to please get the M109. I tell people all the time if I had to rock a cruiser it would be the M109 or maybe a Vmax.

Bigdawg,
I will do my best to try to get it. I told the wife, that if it doesn't feel right, then I am probably going to keep the busa... that vulcan is just to old for me....

Well I notice mines gets hot between the legs but I honestly cant tell if its because its hot outisde compounding the feeling or what. LIke you I get no high temp spikes on the gauge..but getting rid of her? Yeah guess Ill just have Schweddy Balls:laugh:

I'm glad you started this thread too, because I'm having the same debate in my head. I have nothing against the busa and love the hell out of it... but my back is starting to be in more pain when I ride more frequently from being hunched over and I'm looking for something more "comfortable"

I have been looking at the Zuk m109r for the last 2 months and still couldn't get over that front light. The rear of that bike is absolutely beautiful, but the front is hideous.
05.jpg

View attachment 1555458

So then I started looking at the Vulcan and others and finally ended up sitting on a HD against my own judgement and found myself liking the VROD models of the HD line like the VRSC Muscle.

--- VRSC MUSCLE ---
Harley-Davidson-VRSCF-V-Rod-Red-Muscle-Bike-2009-500x332.jpg

So now I'm trying to figure out if I spend the 14k on the HD and completely change my riding habits/style/look/etc or see what I can do with something else.:banghead::banghead:

I'm in the same situation as you with the family too with a 6 year old, an 18 month old, and a 6 month old all hanging out... so you're not alone! GL with your decision.

Its a shame to get rid of the busa....If you like the rush of big acceleration you'll miss it a lot.

That's true. On the other hand, I like the sound of the Two Bros. system on my VFR a lot more than the sound of the Yoshi TRS pipes I had on my Busa.

Banger,,
It is a very difficult decision for that everyone has to face..

I have not even sat on the M109R yet, doing that this afternoon. So it is still up in the air. I like the front headlight, but the aggressive cruiser rider stance is the best thing for me.

VROD, they are nice, but I think the M109R kills it, looks wise. I perfer Suzuki as well. On the M109riders.com site, the people are just as great as they are on here.. so that is a big plus as well.

We shall see, plus lil more comfortable for the wife,, so she will wanna ride more..

i can speak from having both the m109r and a hayabusa.

i had a 2007 busa i sold to get the 9. bought a 2011 LE last year.
wife said pissy "i don't like the ride on this 109. i don't feel stable... wish you wouldn't have sold the busa and got this!"

i bought a back rest and manufactured a plate and installed it in the passenger seat following the good advice from 109riders.com.
spent $90 on fleabay. put it all together... now wifey says "so much more comfortable than the busa! lets go riding"

i bought a 2011 white busa last week... "i don't like the ride on the busa... its not comfortable. if we ride, lets take the 9!"

two things to take away from that...
1. chicks never know what they want.
2. the 9 is comfortable for picky PITA passengers! ;)

i've put almost 4K miles on the 9 so far. most w/ her. she doesn't complain about the ride. taken several 100 mile trips. orlando to daytona for bike week and stayed the night as an example. no worries.

bought some saddlebags for short day/night trips... plenty of room and comfortable for passenger. i take all that crap off the bike riding solo (passenger seat w/ integrated back rest, bags) and retains the sleek look. takes 4 minutes to put it on. easy.

bike gets a TON of attention... more than the busa. handles like a sport bike, comfort of a cruiser, looks of a hot rod... best of all worlds in my opinion. the mod bug will kill you once you start on it... avoid that at all costs or it will cost you!!!! :laugh:

hope that helps!
jason

Banger,,
It is a very difficult decision for that everyone has to face..

I have not even sat on the M109R yet, doing that this afternoon. So it is still up in the air. I like the front headlight, but the aggressive cruiser rider stance is the best thing for me.

VROD, they are nice, but I think the M109R kills it, looks wise. I perfer Suzuki as well. On the M109riders.com site, the people are just as great as they are on here.. so that is a big plus as well.

We shall see, plus lil more comfortable for the wife,, so she will wanna ride more..

get the 9!

i have both a 2011 busa and 2011 LE 109R

follow some of the advice from the folks over at 109riders.com and integrate a backrest in the passenger seat. wife will love the ride. put on some saddle bags for day /night trips and you are covered. you can pull all that crap off when you are done in about 4 minutes and put it back to the sleek look.

the 9 has it all. sleek looks, muscle and cruising style. best all around bike in my opinion. only thing annoying is the attention you get. million questions..."what kind of harley is that" ha! :laugh:

the mod bug will kill you if you buy one... be forewarned!!

I'll only weigh in with my dissenting viewpoint since no one else has.

I've been married for ten years. I know that's not an extremely long time and its not an extremely short time either. We've got 1 and 3 year old boys.

I don't understand this age old theme of extreme wife coddling. A man should keep his wife or girlfriend happy- of course! But it shouldn't be at his expense. Who's job is it to keep him happy?

The common denominator in each ride is the OP, the bikes sole operator. His beautiful wife is present unknown fraction of the time. So who should dictate the model of bike?

I hate the idea that he could be without the bike he chose, in a hobby of his choosing
for a passenger who is not present.

Sounds like you need a second bike. I refuse to give up hope on your Busa. Someone can fix this.

In my opinion making her happy happens within her world of interests : jewelry, purses, clothes, etc- not mine.

I also understand OP you might be totally happy letting her determine what you ride, this is all my take on it. If you get another bike y'all would look killer on the M109!! Im kicking the idea around myself.

AJ

My old 109...

I loved it. But missed cornering. Also my wife finds the Busa more comfy as a passenger. I had the 109 lowered. (from a looks standpoint it HAS to be done :laugh: ) and it hits potholes HARD!

I got more compliments and stares on that bike than any bike I've ever ridden. If I could afford both, I'd have both. Vulcans are ugly, get something with style.

Oh and the headlight grows on ya! Trust me!

The transmission is clunky, but if you shift like you mean it, there is NO issues with it at all. Did I mention they sound AMAZING? Even with stock pipes when you roll on it, it sounds powerful!

Very fun bike, decent aftermarket for it (not nearly as much as a VTX) and the best looking "muscle" cruiser on the market! Go for it! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back