Buy new or used?

Kahuna

Registered
Hello all. I have been riding a cruiser for a few years now and am looking at jumping into the sport bike arena. My biggest concern has been both price and riding position. I am not sure if the riding position is going to feel a bit more labored seeing that I can't just lean back ( I have a backrest and highway pegs on my cruiser).

As far as price, I have always loved the look of the 'busa, but am finding that the large price tag associated with it may be a bit much. Yes, I can afford it, but would I be better off going used or does that open me up to dealing with someone else's previous problems (ie. accidents and such).

I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks.

Welcome to the board! As far as riding position, the Busa is more comfortable than it looks, and there are several mods to make it even more comfortable. I bought new even though I had the opportunity to buy used at a much lower price. I just didn't want to inherit someone else's possible problems. I do know that a lot of the folks here have gone with a used machine with few or no prob's at all, so I guess it's really just a matter of personal preference.

~J~

One thing I noticed about busa owners are they seem to take better care of their machines....probably because they are too heavy to stunt with so the young kids dont want them. So that leaves the older anal retentive riders to go faster than the stunters.

One thing I noticed about busa owners are they seem to take better care of their machines....probably because they are too heavy to stunt with so the young kids dont want them. So that leaves the older anal retentive riders to go faster than the stunters.
+1! About the only "bad" thing I've noticed is some owners clean theirs less frequent than others.

yeah but to your ultimate question there are some kids out here i know me and buss05 and a another one are under 30 but we still have respect
and yes we do clean them and keep them clean at all times it says you have to in the owners manuall after every tank of gas

I bought new because I like to be the only one that has put the miles on her .that way I know how she has been treated.i saw a guy doing weelies and stoppies on a busa just the other day. I was pretty impressed. as you say It is usually the smaller bikes.

+1!  About the only "bad" thing I've noticed is some owners clean theirs less frequent than others.
Hey, mine gets a pressure wash at least once a month. That reminds me, I still need to get a leaf blower to dry it off.

Thanks for the input. I just hope the investment is something I don't regret later.

I am thinking of holding onto my cruiser.....800cc Suzuki Volusia. Maybe riding it from time to time will remind me of all the reasons I am using to justify the 'busa purchase.

Thanks again.

Buy used...stunning deals out there...

I got my 2004 with 1150 miles on it for $8600.00

Ive already spent close to $2000.00 in protective gear and accessories.

welcome to the board
cool.gif

Welcome! Buying new gives you that margin of safety in the first year with the warranty. If you have questions about the riding position at least go sit on 1 at the dealer or maybe you have a buddy that has one you can get the feel of. Several Busas for sale here on the board that you may want to take a look at. FL Knifemaker's comes to mind.

I have always bought my bikes new. I try to buy the ones left over from last year, as they are cheaper. I am picking up my new busa on Tuesday (weather permitting). It is a brand new '05 that I got for 9,400 otd. He has one left just like it. If you think it is a good deal and don't mind coming to the south chicago area, let me know. I will post my own thread with pics as soon as I get it home.

Where in south chicago are you buying it from. I forget the anme of the dealer but there is one where there have been problems..(i heard iton here or on ebay when i was looking to buy mine) good luck on the purchase

Personally, I think you will be happy with the busa. It is very comfortable. I bought an 04' with 9200 miles on the clock. The bike was 100% stock down to stickers and reflectors. It took me almost 5 months to find it but they are out there. Like BigBSBusa there are some good deals on this board from members who are selling their bikes. You should check it out.
Good luck and welcome to the board.

Where in south chicago are you buying it from.  I forget the anme of the dealer but there is one where there have been problems..(i heard iton here or on ebay when i was looking to buy mine) good luck on the purchase
I am buying it from "South Suburban Suzuki" located in south chicago heights. I have bought a bike there before and know many people that have. It is a small place that has been there for 30+ years.

Back