Busted fork seals?

mcoyote

Registered
Did a 200mi loop today through the eastern plains (25degF and foggy...mmmm...). Got home and gave the 'Busa its third WD40 bath of the winter to get the salts off and noticed a fine sheen of oil on the lower (TiN coated) fork legs.

It's very light oil, more on one side than the other but a little bit on both legs. The forks still have some bounce to them, but have I blown a seal? Thanks.

Sure sounds like it. Clean of the tubes and look to see if you see the oil agian after letting the bike sit for a day or two.

I had the same problem after only 150 miles on my 2003 . I had been trying to ride easy on her for the first 500. I took her down to the local dealer and got a bunch of #### from those guys , saying Suzuki wouldnt warranty fork seals , but I wasnt gonna take that. After all she was only 3-4 dyas old then . Called a buddy who is a district rep for Suzuki and took to another dealer . After they repair it havent had a problem since .
biggrin.gif

Yup, mine too...I'm going to take them off the bike today and have them replaced.
I'm hoping that just taking in the forks will curve the cost a little, but I'm expecting around 300 bucks...kinda wish I had the tools to do it... I'll do a photo essay of the prcess :o)

forks are a tricky business and even with the right tools it is worth having the pro's do it. To easy to ruin a new set of seals. Buy the parts and have it revalved should only be a few hundred labor.

A local shop is going to charge me 150 bucks to replace the seals....thats with the shocks off the bike. 300 if I take the whole bike in....

Pulled the forks off last night...took me all of 30 minutes :o) Here's a pic of the uglyness...the blow back onto the fairing...

Fork_Removal_010.jpg

I blew one of the seals in the forks of my SV650 from too much wheeleing... haven't gotten it fixed yet though...

Back