Front fork issue

JoeyAdams

Registered
Yo what's up I have a front fork problem . I replaced the front fork seals filled it with oil and installed them on the bike ... I rode it and it feels like I am riding on a bump stop or something ... I removed the forks unbolted the drain plug, seperated the fork, replaced the seals, filled it with oil in the drain plug and reinstalled them ... This thing has no pre load and is slammed with about one inch of travel .. What did I do wrong here

You have to pump the rod in the cartridge up and down several times so oil goes in, and let it sit for a few minutes to let any air bubbles rise to the top. The oil should be filled to the very top of the fork, pumped as described above, and when finished some syphoned out. Put a hose and syringe or suck it out like syphoning gas even. The hose should go down 3.7" into the fork from the very top on a gen2(I'de have to look at the manual for a gen1), syphone down til it's at that level and no more comes out. Reassemble. The preload/compression dampning must be set at the softest settings before disassembly too.

You have to pump the rod in the cartridge up and down several times so oil goes in, and let it sit for a few minutes to let any air bubbles rise to the top. The oil should be filled to the very top of the fork, pumped as described above, and when finished some syphoned out. Put a hose and syringe or suck it out like syphoning gas even. The hose should go down 3.7" into the fork from the very top on a gen2(I'de have to look at the manual for a gen1), syphone down til it's at that level and no more comes out. Reassemble. The preload/compression dampning must be set at the softest settings before disassembly too.

Gen 1 is 98mm (3.9")

What he said above ^^^

Also it's important to use the syphon method versus just adding equal amounts of fluid to each fork. This will ensure both forks have exactly the same amount of fluid.

Did you buy a fork kit tool to remove the seals, springs, and fluid?

Sounds like the fluid is too high, are you bleeding the cartridge?

Back