Weeping fork seals?????

swimmer7946

Registered
I've notice some grease and grime accumulation on the bottom of both of my fork legs. i've only got 12.5k and never really wheelied it so should the fork seals be leaking? also when i removed the dust seal (with a screwdriver like a fool) i put a small, 1/3 of an inch scratch in the fork leg. mind you its definitely a scratch not a gouge. i can feel it with my finger nail. can this be buffed if necessary or should i just set it and forget it???

Fork seals do go out over time with just giving to bumps in the road. It's not uncommon. I've read where people like you have fork seal problems at an earlier age.

Hopefully your scratch isn't too deep as the seal guides up an down in that area and it might cause problems later with new seals.

Time to replace the seals. If you live in a dusty area with windy days, it may cause the seals to go out faster.

As for the scratch, you should get that fixed before you put new seals in. You MAY be able to get away with VERY gently sanding out the scratch with some very ultra fine wet-dry sandpaper. Don't overdo it is all.

--Wag--

I had mine done a month ago. Only 12K.

The dealer said it happens early if you endo or wheelie and it might not be covered.

I said are you accusing me of stunting? They quickly back down.
Extended warrantee covered both.

I've notice some grease and grime accumulation on the bottom of both of my fork legs.  i've only got 12.5k and never really wheelied it so should the fork seals be leaking?  also when i removed the dust seal (with a screwdriver like a fool)  i put a small, 1/3 of an inch scratch in the fork leg.  mind you its definitely a scratch not a gouge.  i can feel it with my finger nail.  can this be buffed if necessary or should i just set it and forget it???
You counldn't do any worse by wet sanding the area using 1200 grit black emery paper. Just be sure to rinse the fork cylinder thoroughy when finished, followed with a good polishing.

Note:Use a bucket of water and add some murphy oil soap to keep the sand paper wet.

My .02

Keep us posted on your results!

Back