Busa vs. ZX-14?

buy the 14.... (well unless you learn to resize photos and use a standard font)..

Given that Suzuki has seen fit to not release any 2010's here in the US, I am considering buying a ZX-14. So far every article I have read is pointing me in the direction of the big Ninja. I mean seriously, no matter what mag or website I go to they all say the same thing. Busa = Badass, HOWEVER Ninja = better brakes, handling, comparable power, and overall better deal! Really!?! I have never owned any other type of bike in my life, and now after 5 years of being a Busa fanatic I am finding myself at a loss. WHAT DO I DO? What are your thoughts guys? Which is the better bike? and WHY?

Take them for a ride if your able to. They are so close to performance it shouldn't even be an issue. Decide which bike looks, and feels better for you and jump on it! Can't go wrong with either one.

I liked both. Than I went to a bike shop that sold both and sat on them and checked them out side by side. I liked the busa better because it looked to me that the busa was put together better. The dash on the ZX looked cheap and so did how the body panels fit. And the busa's have a history of lasting forever. And as far as comfort put on a pair of helli bars and you can ride all day. I love mine best bike I have ever had bar none.

Well, you asked for opinions--so you're gonna get lots. Here's mine: I was in the same situation as you--14 or 'Busa? I like 'em both for different reasons. My son has a 14 so I get lots of chances to ride both. Honestly, I can't say I dislike the 14--if I could have two bikes (wife would KILL me), I'd have a 14 sitting next to the 'busa. In the end---for me---I decided to go with the "original"-the one that everyone knows and recognizes. In the end however, it's your money and your decision. As others have said here-get the one you like than don't look back. Get your butt in the seat and just ride. Either bike will put a huge smile on your face! Good luck!:thumbsup:

I could have had either one when at the dealer. Both were similar priced(with trade in, 09 R6). Both were black so color was fine. Just happened to run the financing on the Busa first and got the loan from the credit union so got the Busa. Was also looking at the B King, lol. Both bikes fit me fine as far as position, the Busa has a better rear seat system, on the 14 you have to use a socket or similar to remove the plastic cover instead of a simple key like the Busa. Both bikes could be called ugly depending on person asked, but the Busa has the edge over the 14 for me. I actually like Ymaha's styling betetr but they have no bike in the Busa/14 range. I do like the Concours a lot though and if I ever get a touring bike it will be my first choice.

Well for me it's all zx14 ..I got an 06 zx14 when they first came out ( traded in a 05 busa) My 06 zx14 had close to 3000 1/4 mile passes and never a problem ...All that was ever needed was oil changes and a lot of rear tires ..I sold the 06 and picked up a 09 zx14 and i like it even more that the 06 that i loved ..08 09 zx14 were lightly refined over the 06 07 models .. New lighter frame , quicker throttle blades ( flys ) for more low end power . I have rode more than one 08 09 busa on the street and drag strip and i find for me the zx14 easier to ride and go fast on .. But that's me .. On the zx14 site we have had many guys switch from there zx14s to the Gen 2 busa only to switch back to the zx14 in a short time .. For those saying a zx14 is down on power Vs a Gen 2 busa the drag strip numbers don't show it .. Just look at AMA Prostar super sport class , stock wheel base class ..The zx14 has being ruling the class .. Super street class ( mostly turbo bikes) the zx14 is also ruling that class ..Lots of die hard busa owners have switched over to the zx14s ...Anything you can buy for a Busa you can buy for a zx14 , Granted you may pay a bit more more for some items but the prices are coming down closer to busa prices daily ..As far as working on a zx14 Vs a busa i find no difference , i work on both and have no problem working on either of them ..As far as twistys riding i can give no input because the only turn i ever see is at the end of the 1/4 mile .. I do like riding the zx14 better , my wrists and lower back don't hurt me like on a busa ..I also like the fact of less vibations on the zx14 .. When it really comes down to it the zx14 and the Busa are not that much different .. I'd say buy the one that looks good to you and feeds your riding style ...Either bike will make you grin from ear to ear ..

Last edited:
the zx14 is way better than the busa... oh wait this is a busa board... the busa is way better than the zx14. :laugh:

A friend of mine has a ZX14 that he dragraces in a local street class. It's lowered and extended, but besides the Muzzy pipe and power commander the engine is stock. That said, it's thrown the #3 connecting rod 3 times. Each time Kawasaki serviced it under warranty. Nice of them to do, but modern bikes shouldn't blow up with regularity.

I've told him to add the Mr. Turbo oil bypass kit for roughly $300 it will cost him, but he still would rather keep blowing it up and returning to the dealer. Ever since the zx900 Ninja in '84 that #3 rod has never got enough oil - if you buy a 14 spend the cash on the oil by pass before you run it hard.

This discussion is silly. Don't you know that the BMW K1300 is the class king? Just read Sportrider magazine. LOL! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously, both are great bikes, and you should buy the one you like for the best price you can get.

If I were buying today, I'd look seriously as the big Kawi Concours based on the 14, but that's because I'm old and am starting to think that comfort and actual storage on a motorcycle are good ideas.

A friend of mine has a ZX14 that he dragraces in a local street class. It's lowered and extended, but besides the Muzzy pipe and power commander the engine is stock. That said, it's thrown the #3 connecting rod 3 times. Each time Kawasaki serviced it under warranty. Nice of them to do, but modern bikes shouldn't blow up with regularity.

I've told him to add the Mr. Turbo oil bypass kit for roughly $300 it will cost him, but he still would rather keep blowing it up and returning to the dealer. Ever since the zx900 Ninja in '84 that #3 rod has never got enough oil - if you buy a 14 spend the cash on the oil by pass before you run it hard.
I don't know where you are getting your info but you are wrong ..Mr Turbo or anyone else for that matter offers a oil bypass kit for a zx14 ..They do offer it for the old zx11s ..A zx14 motor is totaly different motor ..Check with Adams or Chris Jones that both run 7.80s zx14 turbo bikes in Prostar , they will tell you they use NO oiling mods on the zx14 .. I'm at the track twice a week with many guys including myself that run zx14s and i have never seen a rod bearing or rod problem yet in 4 years of racing them ..I have seen reports online of bearings going bad but it has only been two or three over the last 4 years..Two of them busted the oil pan coming down from a wheely and run out of oil .. The other guy that reported a problem never put up any proof of said bad rod bearing .. I'm not saying it hasn't happened because i'm sure it has .. Just like my friends with busas that have spun bearing and tossed rods ..I have two friends that i race with that have spun bearings on their Gixxers ...If you run them hard like these guys do it's going to happen , Not offten but it does happen .. If your friend has tossed rods out of three motors you should be able to post up some pictures of the broken engine cases .. Three sets of cases by the way ..

Last edited:
But seriously, both are great bikes, and you should buy the one you like for the best price you can get.

If I were buying today, I'd look seriously as the big Kawi Concours based on the 14, but that's because I'm old and am starting to think that comfort and actual storage on a motorcycle are good ideas.
I'm with you .. At 54 years old that Concours is looking like my next bike ..:beerchug:

Well, I have read what has been wrote on both sides and want to thank you guys. :thumbsup: Believe it or not you guys really helped. I won't be ready to buy until mid-February but will be sure to post some pics up for you guys as soon as I do. Hopefully by the time I am ready the dealerships will be more willing to negotiate. The guys I have talked to here in L.A. aren't really ready to move any units. They wont budge on the price, and quite personally there is no way in hell I am paying $11,299 (not including tax, title and license) for a 2008. :rofl: Anyhow, hopefully all goes well next month, and once again THANKS.

Well, I have read what has been wrote on both sides and want to thank you guys. :thumbsup: Believe it or not you guys really helped. I won't be ready to buy until mid-February but will be sure to post some pics up for you guys as soon as I do. Hopefully by the time I am ready the dealerships will be more willing to negotiate. The guys I have talked to here in L.A. aren't really ready to move any units. They wont budge on the price, and quite personally there is no way in hell I am paying $11,299 (not including tax, title and license) for a 2008. :rofl: Anyhow, hopefully all goes well next month, and once again THANKS.

Far out that seems so good to me (backwater Australia though). I got a great deal on an 09 Busa just as the 2010s came in. Cost USD $17 280.00 (no misprint). Retail's a little higher.

Far out that seems so good to me (backwater Australia though). I got a great deal on an 09 Busa just as the 2010s came in. Cost USD $17 280.00 (no misprint). Retail's a little higher.

WOW! $17,280! :shocked: I hope that includes TTL, a Brocks Performance pipe, PCIII, HID lights, NEW Arai Corsair V helmet, extended swingarm, and free maintenance and track days for the rest of your life! Seriously expensive!

WOW! $17,280! :shocked: I hope that includes TTL, a Brocks Performance pipe, PCIII, HID lights, NEW Arai Corsair V helmet, extended swingarm, and free maintenance and track days for the rest of your life! Seriously expensive!

Australian pricing. Bah. :cussing:

Back