Busa vs. ZX-14?

J to the D

Registered
Given that Suzuki has seen fit to not release any 2010's here in the US, I am considering buying a ZX-14. So far every article I have read is pointing me in the direction of the big Ninja. I mean seriously, no matter what mag or website I go to they all say the same thing. Busa = Badass, HOWEVER Ninja = better brakes, handling, comparable power, and overall better deal! Really!?! I have never owned any other type of bike in my life, and now after 5 years of being a Busa fanatic I am finding myself at a loss. WHAT DO I DO? What are your thoughts guys? Which is the better bike? and WHY?

08_zx14_hayabusa.jpg

I had the same debate when i bought mine. the thing that sold me on the busa was the same thing that steered me away from the ZX - ergonomics. The ZX seat felt like a piece of vinyl stretched over a piece of plywood. I didnt like the seating position, handlebar position, footpeg position, etc. The busa fit me like a glove.

Had to go back and check the date on this. Wouldn't say I was an expert, but those comparisons seem like pre '08 comparisons. I'll step out there and say that the Gen II exceeds the ninja ( hope that doesn't get me banned :laugh: ) in all respects. :beerchug:

My 1st thought is ..please resize your pics before posting so we all don't have to scroll over to Kansas to read what you wrote :rulez: With that outta the way...

Whether or not the 14 has better brakes is debatable. I won't sit here and lie to you and tell you the Busa's brakes are great...because they aren't. But their not bad either. And in less you plan on tracking it, they'll suffice just fine. Can you improve upon them sure, You can always add steel braided lines for little out of pocket and you'll be heads above the 14 in stopping power by then.

Next...handling.
Who or where did you hear the Kawi has better handling!? I have never read or heard anything that gives either bike a leg up over the other in this category. My suggestion would be for you to sit on both (ride 'em preferably...if u can) and see which feels more comfortable, as this will have a lot to do w/ your riding experience and influence the "handling" characteristics.

And finally...the better deal is in the eye of the beholder and what he/she feels is a "better deal"
Both of these bikes can be found for a good price if you do your homework and search around. Yes....there will be no 2010 models, but so what! It is only cosmetic changes anyways! Why pay the premium price for new graphics when you can get essentially the same bike for less if you go w/ an '08-'09?

For me it was simple, after 5yrs of being a "Busa Fanatic" and lusting over its history, I had to have one. (just look @ my sig) That and the fact the ZX-14 is....ummmm...FUGLY! :poke::laugh:

Good luck & enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
My 1st thought is ..please resize your pics before posting so we all don't have to scroll over to Kansas to read what you wrote :rulez: With that outta the way...

:laugh:

no 2010 busas in the states? I wouldnt care didnt like the new colours anyway compared to the 2008-2009 colours

I am not loyal to any bike. Personally, I ride what is the world's fastest at this moment in time.

Both bikes are about equal in power and speed. For me, it will always came down to comfort as to who fits the best. If I have to sit on it for an hour's worth of comfort, at least I know the rest is there in both handling, torque, and stopping power.

That is how I would approach the decision making. Others may not agree and that might be you. Asking says you have a hard choice going on. Good luck in choosing.

A lot of good advice here: And I will say that I have a couple acquaintances that have the ZX-14 and LOVE it. I don't think it's a terrible bike at all, and between the 2, I don't think either choice is a bad one - they're both great bikes.

Sit on them, ask around, and ask a LOT of questions. You'll figure out which one you want. And even if you do get the ZX-14, stick around - most of the folks here wont hate on you for it.

The only thing I really don't like is the George Foreman grill on the ZX14 and that can be changed.

Hey man, it's a heart/emotional decision. Unless you're a track warrior (you didn't say) who can actually tell every little difference, you'll be like most of us who bought a busa because we like it! I know my brakes (stock) aren't as good as the 14, but I don't care! I would rather look at the busa every morning than the 14. :thumbsup:

Have you noticed that just before we make a big decision (like what bike to buy) we go into research overdrive. We compare every little spec. We google '______ review' a thousand times. BUT after we own the thing (bike or whatever) we forget about all the niggles and naturally focus on the feeling of owning it. When I'm riding my new busa I never think about how a gixxer1k is 70kg lighter and a 14 would stop better and a gixxer750 would handle better...........

I remember when I bought my first nice car. I was in the market for comfort and luxury but it became a toss up between the hero car and the more subdued luxury version. Everything about the luxury 'calais' was perfect. Felt right. But the 'SS' was supposed to be that bit better at handling, accelerating and stopping. Everyone said it was better. So I went and got what I thought was 'value for money' and bought the 'better speccd' SS. This: (google)
29-vy_ss-02.jpg

When I should have bought the one I liked. This: (google)
2003%20Holden%20Calais%20VYII_2.jpg

Except for the initial few weeks, I regretted that decision for the entire ownership of that car (3 years). It handled better sure, but it was rough and hard on my spine for many thousands of kms. Buy the bike you can live with everyday (or every ride). :)

Looking for the flavor of the month, huh?

Buy which one you like best visually and can get the best deal on---to the average rider (probably like youself) it ain't gonna make any difference which one you get performance-wise. It's not like you are going to ride either of them anywhere approaching their limits anyways. Just isn't going to happen unless you are trying to become a statistic.

The Kawi does not handle better than the Busa....that was what sold me on the Zuk. Many people said that the Kawi was a bit heavy in the twisties---since that is where I spend 80% of my time---the choice was obvious.

Last edited:
Hey man, it's a heart/emotional decision. Unless you're a track warrior (you didn't say) who can actually tell every little difference, you'll be like most of us who bought a busa because we like it! I know my brakes (stock) aren't as good as the 14, but I don't care! I would rather look at the busa every morning than the 14. :thumbsup:

Have you noticed that just before we make a big decision (like what bike to buy) we go into research overdrive. We compare every little spec. We google '______ review' a thousand times. BUT after we own the thing (bike or whatever) we forget about all the niggles and naturally focus on the feeling of owning it. When I'm riding my new busa I never think about how a gixxer1k is 70kg lighter and a 14 would stop better and a gixxer750 would handle better...........

I remember when I bought my first nice car. I was in the market for comfort and luxury but it became a toss up between the hero car and the more subdued luxury version. Everything about the luxury 'calais' was perfect. Felt right. But the 'SS' was supposed to be that bit better at handling, accelerating and stopping. Everyone said it was better. So I went and got what I thought was 'value for money' and bought the 'better speccd' SS. This: (google)
29-vy_ss-02.jpg

When I should have bought the one I liked. This: (google)
2003%20Holden%20Calais%20VYII_2.jpg

Except for the initial few weeks, I regretted that decision for the entire ownership of that car (3 years). It handled better sure, but it was rough and hard on my spine for many thousands of kms. Buy the bike you can live with everyday (or every ride). :)

That's a great point! :thumbsup:

Nice contribution

I am not a track head so I go for the looks, until they change the looks of the Ninja there will never be a chance of me owning one :laugh: But beauty is in the eye of the beholder some people have the opposite opinion.. Come to think of it I am still not to fond of the 08 tail so Gen 1 for me forever:thumbsup: :laugh:

The ZX14 is just plain ugly, and unless you are using the full potential of any bike it is pointless to compare stats. Most stats are posted from a professional rider.

Last edited:
There are many members on this forum that gave up a 14 for the Busa. My point goes without saying....

I had same problem, but in the end busa won. The Kawi is more comftible for longer rides but the Busa is just a bit better for twisties which I love. Plus Hayabusa looks like a Jumbo GSXR :cheerleader: like a sport bike, and as for brakes they are great, I dont care what people say that bike stops when it needs to, but how often u use brakes, im on the throtle all the time anyway lol. Kawi riders need to use brakes because its not good in corners :rofl:.

IMG_2186.jpg

Its just a bestall a round bike. But again if you go to ZX14R forum u will get another point of view. One thing that got me away is the frame braking on the zx14R which was enough for me to say F it, I need quality lol.:bowdown::thumbsup::beerchug:

search for MERIDIAN's thread: ex-14 guy who is now a very happy Busa owner. P.S. He has ridden and owned both so his comparo is based on firsthand experience and not magazine articles.

Last edited:
Back