Busa vs BMW K1300S

Kind of like buying a Ducati. Great bike if you want to spend a lot of money for less performance then the Busa.

Kind of like buying a Ducati. Great bike if you want to spend a lot of money for less performance then the Busa.

Well, I hear that. It is definitely not as powerful, but for me and what I do, it is close enough. In other words, it's got plenty enough power - more than I will ever use, just like the Busa.

Then, I have to look at other aspects of the bike that I also care about, as power alone isn't all of it for me.

Nah...any bike can take any other bike as it is all about the rider. I just am surprised that some of these other bikes...Ducati, BMW, Aprillia all equally good bikes just end up costing the owners an boat load of money to ride. I love style as much as anyone, but when dollar for dollar I can enjoy the Busa and get what she gives...IMO the choice is made.

If you can afford it, love it and want to run it...GO FOR IT! Life would be boring if there was only one bike manufacturer out there.

Ha! Exactly. No mention of K1300S (yet).

I tend to think with those kind of things, you have a few (relatively speaking) or even several people that have the issue... and as the problem circulates around the net, it can become exaggerated. I know the final drive issue is one with several frustrated BMW owners, but it doesn't stop the majority (even those with the issue) from riding on after resolution.

Plus, if you look at *that* list, it's only around 270 issues spanning 8 or 9 years... and many seem to happen when the bike is brand new or with many thousands of miles on the bike. To me, failures on brand new bikes don't count the same - maybe a recalled part that wasn't replaced or an adjustment that needs to be made. Get it right, then see how long the bike goes without issue. Again, seems like many of these went a long time. Besides Scar :), how many Busa owners can say they haven't had any problems for 45000.0, 76550.0 or 98000.0 miles?

Just saying...

Power on the Busa is incredible... best I have ridden, hands down. I LOVED THAT bike. Only reason I went to BMW is for a touring bike, but wife ended up not digging it, so BMW did an even swap for the K... so, here I am, and loving it. I see the pros/cons of both bikes now having had both. If I was given the choice between the two right now, I think I'd lean towards the K, though I'd be almost equally happy with either.

Nah...any bike can take any other bike as it is all about the rider. I just am surprised that some of these other bikes...Ducati, BMW, Aprillia all equally good bikes just end up costing the owners an boat load of money to ride. I love style as much as anyone, but when dollar for dollar I can enjoy the Busa and get what she gives...IMO the choice is made.

If you can afford it, love it and want to run it...GO FOR IT! Life would be boring if there was only one bike manufacturer out there.

Agreed... I wouldn't have paid for the decked out K... had to get a base model from their warehouse to make it worth my while. Before they offered that, I was looking around for another Busa.

Thanks guys.
Lots of good info here.
For those of you who have ridden both bikes, can you give me an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each?
Which has better brakes, handles better, is more comfy, is better for day to day commuting, overall feel, etc?
And if you own either bike, what problems have you had?
How have the problems been handled by the dealer?
Don't worry guys, I have no hidden agenda here.
I actually love both bikes and have owned both brands in the past (02 K1200RS, 06 GSXR 750).
The BMW was pre-owned, the Gixxer, new.
The BMW had many more miles on it than I put on the Gixxer.
It also had some minor problems that were handled well by the dealer.
The Gixxer was perfect.
The one difference I noted with the 2 brands was fit and finish.
Paint, finish of metal parts, fit of panels etc was quite a bit higher on the BMW. But, all that stuff shows up in the price!
I'm actually leaning towards the Busa at this point, but I just want to make an informed opinion.
Lenny

Lenny, the BMW is neat & more refined, with several wiz-bang gadgets. But uninspiring and somewhat blah.

For $16K I want to be drooling all over myself. Don't find myself doing that.

Dsc06084.jpg

Dsc06085.jpg

Dsc03474_ducati.jpg

DSC03514_K1300S.jpg

DSC03550_k1300s.jpg

DSC03551_k1300.jpg

Yours Truly and the K1200S

Img_8807_Pashnit.jpg

Img_8796_Crowd.jpg

Img_8975_Turri_K1200S.jpg

Img_9006_K1200S_Tim.jpg

Dsc06084.jpg

Dsc06085.jpg

Img_8807_Pashnit.jpg

Img_8796_Crowd.jpg

Img_8975_Turri_K1200S.jpg

Img_9006_K1200S_Tim.jpg

Dsc03474_ducati.jpg

DSC03514_K1300S.jpg

DSC03550_k1300s.jpg

DSC03551_k1300.jpg

Btw, the primary difference to me was the frame & fork configuration of the K series. They took the motor and rotated it forward making it lower and changing the ability to flick the bike from side to side. This the K bike does very well. The front fork with the ESA just floats right through the bumps. The odd-ball front fork also feels heavy and sluggish at slow speeds, but at speed, virtually no dive. The single side swingarm also make tire changes a breeze. ABS too.

The hayabusa still feels as though it has way more horsepower and low-down grunt (to me at least). My biggest problem with the BMW is cost for what you're getting in return, & no drool. :laugh:

You can best see the rotated motor & frame in a pic like this.

Dsc00999_K1200R.jpg

And if you want hooligan, you need the K1300R. Same bike. No skin. :laugh:

Image6_900_knee.jpg

Dsc00999_K1200R.jpg

Image6_900_knee.jpg

I rode both the '09 BMW K1300S and an '09 Busa this past fall when I was trying to figure out what bike I was going to get when I sold my '08 FJR.

I hated the BMW's front end, the motor was strong but I though the valvetrain was a little noisy, and not as smooth as the busa. All of the big BMW bikes are having driveline failures big time and BMW won't acknowledge it!!! I was told by a M/C engineer that the BMW driveline was never designed for the kind of TQ their big bikes are putting out. The electronics are a plus for the BMW but at what cost? Plus with the Busa you can change gearing where on the BMW you'd have to get into the tranny to do it if it's even possible? I will admit however that the BMW K1300S was more comfortable than the Busa but with Heli-bars and the Driven D-Axis lowered rearsets I can get close to the BMW's riding position. The only things I wish my Busa has that the BMW has is anti-lock brakes and traction control. Maybe the Gen III Busa's will have these features added? I also rode an '09 Kawi ZX-14 and C-14 and decided on the Busa.

Lenny, the BMW is neat & more refined, with several wiz-bang gadgets. But uninspiring and somewhat blah.

For $16K I want to be drooling all over myself. Don't find myself doing that.
By uninspiring and somewhat blah, do you mean styling or performance?
Lenny

One Eye'd Dude: Test ride. Only way to know for yourself.

I think the perceived power "feel" difference is the result of two things:

(1) K is higher revving; Busa has power compacted into lower RPM range
(2) K's funky roll-off/roll-on power hesitation

Those two things equal, even with Busa's slight actual HP advantage, I think we'd be hard-pressed to "feel" a difference.

All in all, both bikes to me will throw you back and spike the adrenaline. Not sure what is meant by "uninspiring".

Power aside, sorry, K just dominates from here. Through the corners, the K is pure joy - rides more like a liter bike, but more stable because of extra weight and longer wheel-base. I don't know about you, but this is just as important in the "fun" factor to me as the oodles of power we all tirelessly compare/contrast. Then, again, there's that whole comfort factor. K is just more comfortable. Aside from ride-ability, there's fit/finish. K's got better metals/plastics. Check it out... go squeeze the levers, turn the ignition key even or the gas cap - run your hands along the tank plastic, believe it or not, check out the seat (most comfy of all beemer bikes) - all those things you like/want to mod on the Busa.... done. Single-sided swing arm is too cool.

Are these things worth the money to you? I dunno, but they were to me. But, I wasn't gonna dish out 17,000+ for a sport bike - I don't care how much it might be worth it. That's why I opted for the standard model (heated grips/ABS included) after the 2010's came out. Like I said, got mine for $13,600 ($15,800 - $1000 2009 incentive - $1200 negotiating). Otherwise, I would've gotten the Busa... a used one off Craigslist at that.

One Eye'd Dude: Test ride. Only way to know for yourself.

I think the perceived power "feel" difference is the result of two things:

(1) K is higher revving; Busa has power compacted into lower RPM range
(2) K's funky roll-off/roll-on power hesitation

Those two things equal, even with Busa's slight actual HP advantage, I think we'd be hard-pressed to "feel" a difference.

All in all, both bikes to me will throw you back and spike the adrenaline. Not sure what is meant by "uninspiring".

Power aside, sorry, K just dominates from here. Through the corners, the K is pure joy - rides more like a liter bike, but more stable because of extra weight and longer wheel-base. I don't know about you, but this is just as important in the "fun" factor to me as the oodles of power we all tirelessly compare/contrast. Then, again, there's that whole comfort factor. K is just more comfortable. Aside from ride-ability, there's fit/finish. K's got better metals/plastics. Check it out... go squeeze the levers, turn the ignition key even or the gas cap - run your hands along the tank plastic, believe it or not, check out the seat (most comfy of all beemer bikes) - all those things you like/want to mod on the Busa.... done. Single-sided swing arm is too cool.

Are these things worth the money to you? I dunno, but they were to me. But, I wasn't gonna dish out 17,000+ for a sport bike - I don't care how much it might be worth it. That's why I opted for the standard model (heated grips/ABS included) after the 2010's came out. Like I said, got mine for $13,600 ($15,800 - $1000 2009 incentive - $1200 negotiating). Otherwise, I would've gotten the Busa... a used one off Craigslist at that.

I retract my statement about the K being higher revving - my mistake - I thought K had higher red line for some reason - prolly the way gauge is laid out.

Back