Busa vs BMW K1300S

OneEyeMan

Registered
OK all, I've read the comparison tests, and a lot of the comments here about it.
I understand how the test was somewhat biased in the BMW's favor.
That's all history.
What I want to know is if anybody here has ridden both?
I'd like some subjective opinions on both bikes.
Which is better for what task?
How do they feel?
Comfort, maintenance, reliability etc.?
I'm a big Busa fan, even though I don't own one yet!
So please, no "Busa Rules" responses.
BTW, there's no hidden agenda on my part asking this question.
So go easy on me:laugh:
Lenny

Something to consider: The Busa has a huge aftermarket parts, uh market. Which means you have a plethora of ways to Mod your bike and make it how you want it.

I have ridden them both and considered the K Bike before I bought the busa.

The K bike is pretty refined; lots of bells and whistles, ABS (GREAT BRAKES), and pretty dang fast once you wind it out. I've seen some people ride the pants off them. I didnt' like the sound (high and whiny) The Busa has MUCH more low-end torque, sounds much better and stable at high speed. It's like Godzilla instead of Mothra.

And the best part is it's several thousand dollars cheaper, much wider array of parts/aftermarket and repair and maintenance services are much cheaper. Easier to resale and get more of your original investment back.

Good luck!

Have you taken a look at how much it cost to even service a BMW...contact Pres. Obama and ask for some funds...yer gonna need em...Also...the German designers are into special tools for so many things on their bikes....compared to what the Busa needs...things to consider I would say. It is an awesome bike...but It will never be a sexy beast like the Busa...2hip

If i want a bike off the shelf and ride it out without any mods required, I'd go for bmw. Beauty of owning a busa is you can make it to suit you, in every way, from comfort to style, from power to just anout anything u like. If i had the doe Id get both, and if I had enough to get 1, I'd get the busa, just as I did. And believe me my busa costs way more than a bmw now with all the mods... and you will not find any like it where im at... singleout out and loving it!

ABS is great, but with forged aluminum wheels, new pads and steel lines, you should be fine! let us know what u decide!

having said that my next bike will probably be a BMW... but looking into the R 1200 GS Adventure... as a seconed bike of course!

I have ridden a few of the K-Bikes. Both 12 and 1300S and R. The front end is wonky - you have to enjoy minimal feedback from the front end while cornering. Also, several of them stalled at stop signs without any warning. If you don't like knowing what the front wheel is doing when at speed and like to press the starter button a lot when stopped, it's a good choice of bike.

I have owned both. Had Busa, now own K1300S.

Power: Busa wins, K is close enough; Busa has more lower-end torque; K is higher revving; If you are trying to win a straight-line race, all else equal, Busa wins - on a track, I would think Busa would lose due to closeness in power and...

Maneuverability: K wins for absolute sure; K is less bulky - don't have to work so hard in turns at any speed.

Comfort: K wins due to upright riding position; have ridden from Dallas to Houston and back (about 600 miles) on both bikes - lower back and knees ached to the point I had to stop several times with Busa, not at all with K - only had to stop for gas (me and bike)

Brakes: K no question, unbelievable brakes - so good it can be dangerous.

Quality: K appears to be more refined, constructed with better plastics.

Comes standard with heated grips and ABS. Would not have been able to make recent trip to Houston without heated grips (cold weather and carpal tunnel). Of course shaft drive is neat. I hear you lose a little power, but hey I don't have to clean the chain.

Of course, you could mod the Busa to make equal to K and vice versa, but K came with everything I wanted as is... and I paid 13,600 OTD (didn't get GSA, ESA or ASC). The only thing I miss about the Busa is the power distribution, but am beyond satisfied with K here.

I have owned both. Had Busa, now own K1300S.

Power: Busa wins, K is close enough; Busa has more lower-end torque; K is higher revving; If you are trying to win a straight-line race, all else equal, Busa wins - on a track, I would think Busa would lose due to closeness in power and...

Maneuverability: K wins for absolute sure; K is less bulky - don't have to work so hard in turns at any speed.

Comfort: K wins due to upright riding position; have ridden from Dallas to Houston and back (about 600 miles) on both bikes - lower back and knees ached to the point I had to stop several times with Busa, not at all with K - only had to stop for gas (me and bike)

Brakes: K no question, unbelievable brakes - so good it can be dangerous.

Quality: K appears to be more refined, constructed with better plastics.

Comes standard with heated grips and ABS. Would not have been able to make recent trip to Houston without heated grips (cold weather and carpal tunnel). Of course shaft drive is neat. I hear you lose a little power, but hey I don't have to clean the chain.

Of course, you could mod the Busa to make equal to K and vice versa, but K came with everything I wanted as is... and I paid 13,600 OTD (didn't get GSA, ESA or ASC). The only thing I miss about the Busa is the power distribution, but am beyond satisfied with K here.
What year model was your Busa

Beemers are pretty solid bikes, and they don't require a lot of maintenance like Ducatis. What I like about the package is the shaft drive, and the aftermarket support is very limited for "get up n go" stuff. Not having many things to do can save you money coz you're stuck with it, no reason to modify if there's nothing to buy.

Back