busa riding how-tos?

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,15:03)
(Professor @ Jun. 06 2007,10:50) You have enough time on the bike so I’ll throw this out there. Let’s change it the term to “push steeringâ€￾. While riding down an isolated stretch or road/highway at 30 to 60. make a gradual lane change by only pushing forward on the grip in the direction you want to go. Nothing sudden just push the right grip forward easily to change to the right. Get used to it.
I tried this at lunch and............

I think I found my "fix" to my problem  
biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who contributed to this!!!
Sounds like you're on your way...
smile.gif
beerchug.gif

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,14:03) I tried this at lunch and............

I think I found my "fix" to my problem  
biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who contributed to this!!!
beerchug.gif
That is great.

Still consider that MSF ERC. My offer stands!

(Professor @ Jun. 06 2007,12:43) Good addition to the thread, being too tense can give feed back to the bike you do not want.

No doubt that pressing on the footpeg helps, but this is a more advanced skill, he may not be quite ready for yet. Kind of a walking before running issue, but that is a very good point. Another is pressing the right knee into the tank in the left turn you described.
Hmm, maybe I am a better rider than I thought.  I do the footpeg push naturally, and countersteering just sort of made sense to me.

I read this and didn't see it, did anyone mention tightening your knees up against the tank in the turns?  I (personally) find that when I need to hit a long sweeping turn and I want to actually take it properly (outside/inside/outside), then tightening my knees up on the tang allows me a lot more body control and - I feel - gives me more ability to control my wheel and lean angles.

In fact that is how I taught my girlfriend to ride with me.  She doesn't need her hands anymore, she just uses her legs to keep on and follow my lean in a turn.

*** Edited to add that I am thinking about taking the experienced riders course this year. I think it will be a good refresher, and I was really impressed with the quality of instruction I got in the Basic Corse.

Your arms should be completely relaxed, point your elbow in the direction of the turn.
Counter steering is easy to practice just going straight. Push with inside arm.
Take the MSF advanced class way before you go to a track day.
Shift your weight off, or to the side of the seat (whatever is more comfortable) & slide forward.
Look all the way through the turn.

A Katana only weighs 20 # less than a Busa.

Keep up the good work
beerchug.gif

I've been slowly getting into trying to turn better, and read a book about it and tried to adapt some of the highlights. You can lean, you can countersteer, you can put weight on the inside peg, and you can dig your outside knee into the tank. Those are the ways the book mentioned that get you through the turn, and can be done together, or some people like to do one or only a couple of those at the same time.

I noticed when I feel that I am at the bike's limit for turning (and remember i'm a newbee in the twisties), I am leaning and countersteering, and all of a sudden i remember the book - I dig my knee into the tank and press down on the peg and wallah - the bike floats through the turn that much better.

Just something to keep in mind... countersteering is awesome. I remember someone telling me to do that when I was 16 and I thought they were BS'ing me. NOPE!

The counter-steering thing has a real trippy feeling to it.. like you're defying physics when you do it.

I did it on the straightaway as Professor suggested, but when going into the turns it was harder because I was already leaning in that direction, and the bars felt further away at that stage. Do you keep pushing anyway? It really is funky.

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,16:10) The counter-steering thing has a real trippy feeling to it.. like you're defying physics when you do it.

I did it on the straightaway as Professor suggested, but when going into the turns it was harder because I was already leaning in that direction, and the bars felt further away at that stage.  Do you keep pushing anyway?  It really is funky.
Seat time will get you feeling comfy with it...just push a bit more when you're ready and feel how the bike leans just a tad more...

The guys are right, tons of other stuff you could do too...grasp the tank with your knees, hang your rear off of the seat a bit in a turn. While I'm no pro at cornering, I have taken some of the tighter turns by countersteering and sliding off of the seat a bit just to see how much the bike drops down a tad more...it's a cool feeling; can only imagine what it would be like on a track!
smile.gif

It is definitely making the fun factor go up. I guess the only thing I need to know is, do you get a warning shot before you've gone "too far"? Or does it just go down right on you and that's it? I'm just asking b/c I'll keep going until something hints me otherwise..
biggrin.gif

You probably already countersteer and don't even know it. The only reason it is trippy is because you are concentrating so much on it.

Most people are not consciously aware that they employ countersteering when riding their bike any more then they are aware of the physics of walking. Their body has learned to include the well timed countersteering jolt. They may have learned to do so while learning to ride a bicycle in childhood. Often people simply assume that the steering of a bike is just like the steering of a car. Their unconscious balance skills know better. Wikepedia

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,16:19) It is definitely making the fun factor go up.  I guess the only thing I need to know is, do you get a warning shot before you've gone "too far"?  Or does it just go down right on you and that's it?  I'm just asking b/c I'll keep going until something hints me otherwise..  
biggrin.gif
I've never tested how far I can go, so I'm not the one to ask I guess
laugh.gif

Just take your time feeling out what the bike's doing and how it responds to what you're doing...you'll find just how much or little you feel comfy pushing it...

And I'd say that advanced MSF course is a definite for you - I bet you'd have a blast
cool.gif

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,16:19) It is definitely making the fun factor go up. I guess the only thing I need to know is, do you get a warning shot before you've gone "too far"? Or does it just go down right on you and that's it? I'm just asking b/c I'll keep going until something hints me otherwise..
biggrin.gif
If you have that much steering input going on your knee should be indicating how close you are to the ground. Plus dragging hard parts is usually a sign of running to tight.
E

Or do you mean the bike just slides out from under you? If so, there should be many indicators that it is going to happen and if you are taking your time learning you should be able to avoid the ground.

I really had thought about the class- I took the intro one in 1995 to get my license. Best thing I could have ever done. But right now I'm also going for my master's, so when I'm off, the last thing I want is ANOTHER class!!
biggrin.gif

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,16:25) I really had thought about the class- I took the intro one in 1995 to get my license. Best thing I could have ever done. But right now I'm also going for my master's, so when I'm off, the last thing I want is ANOTHER class!!
biggrin.gif
Then join Nesba and do a track day.
E

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,13:19) It is definitely making the fun factor go up.  I guess the only thing I need to know is, do you get a warning shot before you've gone "too far"?  Or does it just go down right on you and that's it?  I'm just asking b/c I'll keep going until something hints me otherwise..  
biggrin.gif
There is, just remember the common response is to let go of the throttle in that case. Not so good (unless there is oncoming traffic).

The response is actually to add force to make you stick to the ground...by speeding up. Ironically, a little well placed power could have saved a lot of the dumps I have seen in my riding. (Unfortunately, more than I should have seen at my age, but experience is not required in some people's minds.)

But if you are leaning that far, you wouldn't be having this discussion.

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,13:25) I really had thought about the class- I took the intro one in 1995 to get my license.  Best thing I could have ever done.   But right now I'm also going for my master's, so when I'm off, the last thing I want is ANOTHER class!!  
biggrin.gif
Ehhh.  The MSF isn't like real school.  If the MSF was "real" like college, I would have 4 bachelors, 3 Masters, and a Doctorate in Psychology.

School sucks.  MSF is fun!

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,15:10) The counter-steering thing has a real trippy feeling to it.. like you're defying physics when you do it.

I did it on the straightaway as Professor suggested, but when going into the turns it was harder because I was already leaning in that direction, and the bars felt further away at that stage.  Do you keep pushing anyway?  It really is funky.
It will come more natural with time.

Further away... hmmm

MSF BRC link

Go to page 25 and look at the left picture on the bottom. Don't confuse counterweighing with countersteering the left image is correct for turning above 12-15mph on a Busa. You will be more bent over but notice the zipper on his jacket is in almost a perfect line with the centerline of the bike. You don’t really have to lean. Work on getting comfortable with countersteering first. There are quite a few tips being thrown out here, but I feel countersteering is the number 1 thing to master. You are not ready to drag knees this week.

I won’t even start to go into the physics of the gyroscopic effects and how it works right now. You do not have to understand how it works, just know the technique and be very comfortable with it. One you go from a conscious effort to an automatic reaction when performing it, the other things will really start coming into play. You are also more likely to live in an emergency situation when you have to perform an evasive maneuver.

You have already been doing it. It is virtually impossible to ride without doing it. However most likely you have been fighting it in one way or the other.

Back to the picture and his body position. Imagine where his chin would be if he were riding a sport bike. Right about the same handgrip he is pushing! Food for thought on the way home.

Regardless, make sure you are practicing this in as controlled environment as possible. You may be taking your mind off of other things in your surroundings.

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,15:19) It is definitely making the fun factor go up.  I guess the only thing I need to know is, do you get a warning shot before you've gone "too far"?  Or does it just go down right on you and that's it?  I'm just asking b/c I'll keep going until something hints me otherwise..  
biggrin.gif
Just remember nice smooth progressive inputs. The first warning that you are going too far usually comes from a sudden tightening of the sphincter closest to the seat. (see wikipedia for more info on that one).  

Again practice and work on your technique, don’t try to imitate the grand prix riders just yet.

(Nekosohana @ Jun. 06 2007,15:58)
(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,13:25) I really had thought about the class- I took the intro one in 1995 to get my license.  Best thing I could have ever done.   But right now I'm also going for my master's, so when I'm off, the last thing I want is ANOTHER class!!  
biggrin.gif
Ehhh.  The MSF isn't like real school.  If the MSF was "real" like college, I would have 4 bachelors, 3 Masters, and a Doctorate in Psychology.

School sucks.  MSF is fun!
Preach it to him, Brother!

beerchug.gif

Tobin can re-skin your seats if you get too much clench and tear the factory fabric.

Back