busa riding how-tos?

I did a track day with sportbiketracktime.com in the beginners group because I was afraid of the Busa. By the end of the day, I was at the front of the entire class and infact, the only litre plus rider not to have wrecked. I noticed alot of guys took their plastics off in case they wrecked. Probably a good idea.

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 06 2007,07:26)
(VaBusa @ Jun. 06 2007,10:18) Do you counter-steer a lot?  I've found that I do that more than I ever did on the Harley, and it makes all of the difference in the world  
smile.gif
Someone else recommended this, but I've never done it- something about turning the handlebars in a diff direction than the way you're going seems to freak me out  
biggrin.gif
You are probably countersteering already and not realizing it. Thats just the way motorcycles drive/ride.
laugh.gif
Edit: I just read more of the responses, so nevermind.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I would surely look into the suspension settings. I followed Jinkster's settings and what a difference. I think my bike was set up for a 160 lb. rider. There's nothing wrong with that if you are 160 lbs. but I am.....uh....big boned, yea that's it. It was quite "mushy" and not real responsive or stable.

Also, everything the Professor is saying is gospel. That manual is some great reading too!
race.gif

(Poppy @ Jun. 06 2007,21:43) I would surely look into the suspension settings. I followed Jinkster's settings and what a difference. I think my bike was set up for a 160 lb. rider. There's nothing wrong with that if you are 160 lbs. but I am.....uh....big boned, yea that's it. It was quite "mushy" and not real responsive or stable.

Also, everything the Professor is saying is gospel. That manual is some great reading too!  
race.gif
Did you change your front-end springs Poppy? Or just adjust the rear?

Other updates:

I rode in again today and the difference is day and night. I really think the diff is b/c I was able to maneuver the Katana with simply body rolls and related position changes- the Busa needs a little more of a boot in the @$$ to realize what you're trying to get it to do.. like "oh $h!t sorry you were talking to ME? my bad"

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 07 2007,09:20) I rode in again today and the difference is day and night.  
Good news!

I'll be moving thread to the riding skills area a bit later today. I think there is some good info in here that many can benifit from. It will stay closer to the top there!

As a bike virgin until I got my Busa in June 06, I read two of the three books Professor listed BEFORE I ever bought the bike.
smile.gif

One thing to warn you from my experience, Prof mentioned gyroscopic force- you have almost 60 pounds of wheels and tires rotating, and the faster they spin the harder it is to get them to rotate out of plane- i.e.turn a corner. The first time or two I took a long sweeper at 100+ I felt like the bike wasn't turning and wound up running wide- NOT a good thing at 100+ MPH!! You have to have it programmed into your brain to TURN THE BARS HARDER until it takes the line you are following! Sometimes i say to myself "Just keep turning and lean further!"
smile.gif

smile.gif

No worries Prof,

Glad to hear it will help others- that's always my goal, especially since so many have helped me out here!

(BUSAFETT @ Jun. 07 2007,10:20)
(Poppy @ Jun. 06 2007,21:43) I would surely look into the suspension settings. I followed Jinkster's settings and what a difference. I think my bike was set up for a 160 lb. rider. There's nothing wrong with that if you are 160 lbs. but I am.....uh....big boned, yea that's it. It was quite "mushy" and not real responsive or stable.

race.gif
Did you change your front-end springs Poppy? Or just adjust the rear?

Other updates:

I rode in again today and the difference is day and night. I really think the diff is b/c I was able to maneuver the Katana with simply body rolls and related position changes- the Busa needs a little more of a boot in the @$$ to realize what you're trying to get it to do.. like "oh $h!t sorry you were talking to ME? my bad"
I did not change my springs. Just adjusted the stock springs for a heavier rider.

Another important thing !!!!!! THROTTLE CONTROL !!!!!!!!!!!!
We took Kieth Codes Training Course at VIR for 2days and I tell you I have ridin for 10 years and when I left that class , I rode 10x's better. do not touch your brakes and enter turn and throttle up as you are going thru turn , increasing , yes I said increasing your speed !!. This sets the suspension to drive the bike by its self, I now take left turn some at 80mph with my left hand off the bars. Not enough typing room to talk about this but look it up www.superbikeschool.com
My fiance goes thru some spells of insecurity on her busa and I talk to on the chatterbox going thru our check list from school and boom were off !!

I was told the best upgrade you can do for handeling is GOOD TIRES !!

If riding in the morning let your tires warm up !!
EASY on the throttle exiting turns !! You don't want the back tire spinning out on you !! (happened to me a couple of times when it was cold)

(kennym4 @ Jun. 08 2007,03:17) I was told the best upgrade you can do for handeling is GOOD TIRES !!

If riding in the morning let your tires warm up !!
EASY on the throttle exiting turns !! You don't want the back tire spinning out on you !! (happened to me a couple of times when it was cold)
Psst, kenny, some of us like to spin the rear tire on exit a little. Its kinda fun to do.
eek2.gif

The MSF Experienced riders course is awsome, I took it back in 2003 because the military requires you to have the endorsement to ride on post. At that point i had been riding 600cc sport bikes (mainly GSXR600's) for about 5 years and thought i knew everything about riding (you know the basic superman syndrome). It was a real eye opener, though i do not ride any faster or more aggressively in the corners now compared to before the course, i feel much more confident in my ability to safely maneuver in the event of an emergency. I guess the best way to put it would be that i now ride at 50 to 60% of my ability whereas before i was riding at about 90%. Keeping some in reserve for the unexpected is what will save your bike and maybe your life.

Summed up; the MSF course has something to offer for even very experienced riders and I am a firm believer that it does save lives...

Back