Busa product development

Price justification = Sales 101

I think you should look at the demographics of the group you are attempting to sell to. Where is Corbin's highest percentage of sales dollars coming from? My guess is the cruiser crowd which is predominately made up of Harley Davidson owners. I myself have owned five(5) different HDs over the years. Last time I read about that demographic group, they had an average age of 35-45 years and an average annual income of $77,000.00. I believe that those are 1999 numbers so if anything, the income has gone up. I am sure that you will find that the average Hayabusa owner is younger and I am guessing the income level would trend equally. Your marketing people surely have this data compiled somewhere. Based on that alone, do you really think a $1500.00 set of saddle bags would be that marketable? I would guess that your second largest purchasing group would be the custom crowd. Like any smart business, Corbin is trying to expand it's customer base with additional product offerings but demographics should be taken into consideration. There is an underlying tone through this thread that has been screaming "ease and comfort" at you. We want to be comfortable on our bikes and we want things to be easy. Hence, the popurlarity of your seats. Perhaps you should focus on additional seating set ups? This group does not mind forking out a little extra if it makes our rear ends feel better...
super.gif

Thanks for making this a lively discussion!

(Shanling @ Mar. 22 2007,09:02) Price justification = Sales 101

I think you should look at the demographics of the group you are attempting to sell to. Where is Corbin's highest percentage of sales dollars coming from? My guess is the cruiser crowd which is predominately made up of Harley Davidson owners. I myself have owned five(5) different HDs over the years. Last time I read about that demographic group, they had an average age of 35-45 years and an average annual income of $77,000.00. I believe that those are 1999 numbers so if anything, the income has gone up. I am sure that you will find that the average Hayabusa owner is younger and I am guessing the income level would trend equally. Your marketing people surely have this data compiled somewhere. Based on that alone, do you really think a $1500.00 set of saddle bags would be that marketable? I would guess that your second largest purchasing group would be the custom crowd. Like any smart business, Corbin is trying to expand it's customer base with additional product offerings but demographics should be taken into consideration. There is an underlying tone through this thread that has been screaming "ease and comfort" at you. We want to be comfortable on our bikes and we want things to be easy. Hence, the popurlarity of your seats. Perhaps you should focus on additional seating set ups? This group does not mind forking out a little extra if it makes our rear ends feel better...
super.gif

Thanks for the advice - it is all appreciated, You've made very good points about the key demographic of the riders with regards to affordable price points. This is definitely info that I can pass on to the powers that be and while I can't promise or even hint that things will change overnight, Corbin is a company that does listen to its riders and without the input of people the world over, no matter if you walk into a dealer or sit behind a computer, we'd get nowhere.
smile.gif

(pepper13 @ Mar. 22 2007,11:12)
(Shanling @ Mar. 22 2007,09:02) Price justification = Sales 101

super.gif

Thanks for the advice - it is all appreciated,    You've made very good points about the key demographic of the riders with regards to affordable price points.  This is definitely info that I can pass on to the powers that be and while I can't promise or even hint that things will change overnight, Corbin is a company that does listen to its riders and without the input of people the world over, no matter if you walk into a dealer or sit behind a computer, we'd get nowhere.
smile.gif
When they promote you, I want my consulting fees in full.

ices_rofl.gif

(pepper13 @ Mar. 21 2007,08:25) I finally got some pics of the Smuggler, check it out...
http://www.corbin.com/news/031907a.jpg
http://www.corbin.com/news/031907c.jpg
http://www.corbin.com/news/031907c.jpg
http://www.corbin.com/news/031907b.jpg

I will try to get some pics of it without the bags
beerchug.gif
?? Why do the bags have golf ball sized dimples on them?

I've seen the bags you make for the Yamaha Cruiser, and they blend in to the bike and look like they were factory.

The corbin look added on.

I think you should try to use the lines of the bike, and maybe even blend it in with some clean smooth turn signals (so you can go over the ugly factory ones)

Also, since many guys have headers, the bottom should have a extra piece to cover the indentation for the exhaust (if you have one pipe, would look strange)

But a extra piece that could be bolted on could fill that space.

I'm interested in getting a corbin seat, but the opinions are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Extreme, it seems to be a love it or hate.

Why not get some of the guy's who really put on some miles, but hate it, help make the seat better.

The one thing I've read, the tall guys love it, the short guys, hate it.

Are there any tall guys that hate it??

(TorontoBusa @ Mar. 23 2007,05:38) I'm interested in getting a corbin seat, but the opinions are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Extreme, it seems to be a love it or hate.

Why not get some of the guy's who really put on some miles, but hate it, help make the seat better.

I am 5'10" and I swear by it! I tried the gel seat and it was ok but the Corbin was a whole nother world in comparison. What I will tell you is that when you first put the seat on, you will not be impressed. The seat requires breaking in. The people from Corbin told me this over the phone so I knew it going in. When I first put it on, I thought it was slightly better than the factory seat and not as good as my gel seat. But, once it is broken in, there is nothing like it. I have since sold my gel but am keeping the factory set in case I ever sell the bike. The Corbins will not go with the bike.

Shanling nice ride. Your products will appeal to some, but probably not the majority. Good Luck, nice stuff.
beerchug.gif

(Shanling @ Mar. 23 2007,07:52)
(TorontoBusa @ Mar. 23 2007,05:38) I'm interested in getting a corbin seat, but the opinions are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Extreme, it seems to be a love it or hate.

I am 5'10" and I swear by it! I tried the gel seat and it was ok but the Corbin was a whole nother world in comparison. What I will tell you is that when you first put the seat on, you will not be impressed. The seat requires breaking in. The people from Corbin told me this over the phone so I knew it going in. When I first put it on, I thought it was slightly better than the factory seat and not as good as my gel seat. But, once it is broken in, there is nothing like it. I have since sold my gel but am keeping the factory set in case I ever sell the bike. The Corbins will not go with the bike.
How long did it take you to "break it in"?? (so that you liked it more than stock)

(TorontoBusa @ Mar. 23 2007,06:04)
(Shanling @ Mar. 23 2007,07:52)

How long did it take you to "break it in"??  (so that you liked it more than stock)
One weekend and somewhere around 400 miles or so. I would give it 500 and then judge. I do a lot of twistie riding but I took it on a trip shortly after that was around 350 miles each way with over 200 miles in riding once at destination. That was when I realized just how good the seat was. The Corbin people talked me out of adding extra padding (at an extra cost) saying that the design based upon my weight would preclude any additional foam. Hate to admit but, I weigh 195 or so...

While you're looking for ideas... How about a Beetle Bag that comes forward more; more capacity & better aerodynamics. I dont need the passenger foot pegs since there's no passenger and I can use the extra room.

Or perhaps a module that could mount to the front edge to provide a little more space and aerodynamics but could be easily removed for those folks that do have passengers... Come to think of it, that would probably have better sales potential than two different bags.

I do like the Smuggler concept. And the rumble seat TurboSN95 brought up is an excellent idea.

+1 on the prices. Would love to have the backrest, but $500 bones because you HAVE to buy the rear seat, thats insane. Why not make something that bolts in place of the grab bar and use the stock rear seat. Chop the price down to $150 for the backrest and you would sell thousands of them.

(GSXTacy @ Apr. 15 2007,09:38) Why not make something that bolts in place of the grab bar and use the stock rear seat. Chop the price down to $150 for the backrest and you would sell thousands of them.
Wow that is an EXCELLENT idea.... I'm surprised nobody has thought of that one yet!

(GSXTacy @ Apr. 15 2007,09:38) +1 on the prices. Would love to have the backrest, but $500 bones because you HAVE to buy the rear seat, thats insane. Why not make something that bolts in place of the grab bar and use the stock rear seat. Chop the price down to $150 for the backrest and you would sell thousands of them.
Assuming the grab handle base is stong enough, you have a fantastic idea!

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Mar. 21 2007,13:13) I have Corbin on my Busa and I love it. Best touring seat I ever sat on. But only with helibars. without them I prefer Suzuki gel.I tried tobin on my Busa and I don`t like it.  I tried Corbin on TL1000R and I absolutely hate it. I`m 5.11 and 230Lb. For smaller riders tobin could be more comfortable.
I love almost everything about Corbin products but price. $1500 for a set of bags?
Why do you like the cobin only with Helibars? (Are they the mounts that raise the bar ?? Inches?)

Also, how tall are you?

(TorontoBusa @ Apr. 17 2007,14:50)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Mar. 21 2007,13:13) I have Corbin on my Busa and I love it. Best touring seat I ever sat on. But only with helibars. without them I prefer Suzuki gel.I tried tobin on my Busa and I don`t like it. I tried Corbin on TL1000R and I absolutely hate it. I`m 5.11 and 230Lb. For smaller riders tobin could be more comfortable.
I love almost everything about Corbin products but price. $1500 for a set of bags?
Why do you like the cobin only with Helibars? (Are they the mounts that raise the bar ?? Inches?)

Also, how tall are you?
Yes, closer to the seat about 40mm and higher about 20mm.
So I can seat more up on my butt not on my balls

I`m 5'11"
It has been discussed many times before, if you are a small guy you better on Tobin, with big butt like mine Corbin is more comfortable. IMO

Back