Busa highsiding???

Uh....just saw the one mention of a busa through that whole thread....can't believe I read it all...but what the hell.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, but the Busa has all the makings of an easy to highside bike if you think about it....tons of weight up front, light back end, lots of power....the list goes on. Mostly it's all in the wrist and the ability of the rider...

Depends on what you're asking?
rock.gif

Is it true they are discussing highsides? YES

Is it true that one bike is easier to highside than any other? NO

Reasoning:

A highside is typically caused when a rider is leaned over in a turn, and as the rider is exiting the turn, they start to accellerate. This is where the rider's mistake is usually made that causes the highside...NOT the bike's mistake.

As the bike is exiting the turn and the throttle is applied, torque is sent to rear wheel/tire. If the RIDER rolls on the throttle too fast or is not smooooth with the throttle, then it can cause the tire to lose its traction with the track/street surface. This in and of itself will not cause a high side. This is what causes the rear end to slide out, BUT... A highside will reasult if the rear is allowed to drift too far out of alignment with the front, and then traction is regained suddenly due to the rider backing out of the throttle too quickly. This is when the momentum of the bike is going sideways, and suddenly cannot go in that direction any longer. This is where centifugal force takes over and the bike is flipped over to its "HIGH" side subsequently (normally) launching the rider off the bike and into the air.

Throttle control and knowing the limits of your tires are the key to preventing a highside. I learned these limits at Road America when I had the rear tire break loose coming out of the last turn onto the main straight. It did not slide too far out before regaining traction, so all I felt was a quick wobble in the rear of the bike. It was enough to tell me I needed to be a little smoother coming out of the turns.

If you are smooth...dam smooth...then you can go from a steady throttle at the apex to full throttle at the exit of the turn (minimal lean angle) with no problems, but you have to be smooth.

Hope this helps
wink.gif

There was an ariicle in the UK magazine "Bike" recently about highsiding, and the 'Busa got a mention as one of the bikes that is "more likely" to highside under the right set of conditions.

However, this is a bit like saying a 600 is more likely to lowside because it's got less weight on the tires going round corners.

I highsided a Yamaha XS250 years ago when I was learning to ride and pushed it too hard in a corner. Does this mean that bike is more likely to highside?

I think it's more about rider input.

Of course the Busa will highside easier than some others, it has the power to easily break traction.

Like stkr00 says, be smooth. I was concerned about this aspect of the busa before I purchased mine. I've just focused on being smooth with the throttle......she sticks just fine.:D

The one guy on that board did have a point about how an Inline4 may be more inclined to breaking traction and continue spinning than a twin. If traction is broken then you have another power hit everytime the crank turns 90 degrees, not really allowing the tire to regain traction. On the twins you have a power hit and then another 90 degrees later(or 60 in the case of the Mille) and then the crank has to turn 270 (or 300 on the Mille) degrees before it hits again, giving a little time for the tire to gain traction once more. Theoretically speaking that is.

So theoretically a twin may be less likely to high side than a 4 given that everything else is the same (weight, tires, road conditions, bike geometry, rider position etc...).

Or you can just do what I did and spin the tire up on a strip of gravel and dirt and wait for the tire to find clean road and throw you off
smile.gif

rock.gif

Is it true they are discussing highsides?  YES

Reasoning:

A highside is typically caused when a rider is leaned over in a turn, and as the rider is exiting the turn, they start to accellerate.  This is where the rider's mistake is usually made that causes the highside...NOT the bike's mistake.

As the bike is exiting the turn and the throttle is applied, torque is sent to rear wheel/tire.  If the RIDER rolls on the throttle too fast or is not smooooth with the throttle, then it can cause the tire to lose its traction with the track/street surface.  This in and of itself will not cause a high side.  This is what causes the rear end to slide out, BUT...   A highside will reasult if the rear is allowed to drift too far out of alignment with the front, and then traction is regained suddenly due to the rider backing out of the throttle too quickly.  This is when the momentum of the bike is going sideways, and suddenly cannot go in that direction any longer.  This is where centifugal force takes over and the bike is flipped over to its "HIGH" side subsequently (normally) launching the rider off the bike and into the air.

Throttle control and knowing the limits of your tires are the key to preventing a highside.  I learned these limits at Road America when I had the rear tire break loose coming out of the last turn onto the main straight.  It did not slide too far out before regaining traction, so all I felt was a quick wobble in the rear of the bike.  It was enough to tell me I needed to be a little smoother coming out of the turns.

If you are smooth...dam smooth...then you can go from a steady throttle at the apex to full throttle at the exit of the turn (minimal lean angle) with no problems, but you have to be smooth.

Hope this helps
wink.gif
thumbs-up.gif
Looks like strkr gets an A+.
thumbs-up.gif

I highsided an '82 Yamaha Maxim when I was seventeen. Came out of an alley going downhill (our house was right on the alley strip), turned right, grabbed a bunch of throttle to show off...and the rear tire stepped WAY out, caught traction on the pavement and tossed my over eager azz right up and off. Separated my shoulder. My cool shades that I had on? (No helmet of course...boy mom was pissed
laugh.gif
). The right ear piece snapped off and gouged out a nice hole right beside my eye socket. Yep, needed stitches. And man alive, I'll tell you what...I don't think I've ever felt a much worse pain than separating my shoulder. I thought I broke my scapula, my collar bone...something! I limped my sorry butt back up the alley and into the house, asked my dad to help me collect up my bike off the street. The bike? Broke a mirror and a turn signal, scuffed my cans a bit. That's all. They don't make 'em like they used to. Do they?
laugh.gif

Boy oh boy. The lessons we learn.
blush.gif

thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif

rock.gif

Is it true they are discussing highsides?  YES

Reasoning:

A highside is typically caused when a rider is leaned over in a turn, and as the rider is exiting the turn, they start to accellerate.  This is where the rider's mistake is usually made that causes the highside...NOT the bike's mistake.

As the bike is exiting the turn and the throttle is applied, torque is sent to rear wheel/tire.  If the RIDER rolls on the throttle too fast or is not smooooth with the throttle, then it can cause the tire to lose its traction with the track/street surface.  This in and of itself will not cause a high side.  This is what causes the rear end to slide out, BUT...   A highside will reasult if the rear is allowed to drift too far out of alignment with the front, and then traction is regained suddenly due to the rider backing out of the throttle too quickly.  This is when the momentum of the bike is going sideways, and suddenly cannot go in that direction any longer.  This is where centifugal force takes over and the bike is flipped over to its "HIGH" side subsequently (normally) launching the rider off the bike and into the air.

Throttle control and knowing the limits of your tires are the key to preventing a highside.  I learned these limits at Road America when I had the rear tire break loose coming out of the last turn onto the main straight.  It did not slide too far out before regaining traction, so all I felt was a quick wobble in the rear of the bike.  It was enough to tell me I needed to be a little smoother coming out of the turns.

Hope this helps
wink.gif
thumbs-up.gif
Looks like strkr gets an A+.
thumbs-up.gif

I highsided an '82 Yamaha Maxim when I was seventeen. Came out of an alley going downhill (our house was right on the alley strip), turned right, grabbed a bunch of throttle to show off...and the rear tire stepped WAY out, caught traction on the pavement and tossed my over eager azz right up and off. Separated my shoulder. My cool shades that I had on? (No helmet of course...boy mom was pissed
laugh.gif
). The right ear piece snapped off and gouged out a nice hole right beside my eye socket. Yep, needed stitches. And man alive, I'll tell you what...I don't think I've ever felt a much worse pain than separating my shoulder. I thought I broke my scapula, my collar bone...something! I limped my sorry butt back up the alley and into the house, asked my dad to help me collect up my bike off the street. The bike? Broke a mirror and a turn signal, scuffed my cans a bit. That's all. They don't make 'em like they used to. Do they?
laugh.gif

Boy oh boy. The lessons we learn.
blush.gif
That sounds like one helluva ride
wink.gif

Trying to show off usually ends in a story like that. I've got my share too.
laugh.gif

thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Back