Busa for a big rider?? decisions, decisions.....

FL Knifemaker

Registered
Glad I found this forum!!

Bored with my Buell. Considering a Busa, any big and tall riders on them? I just CAN'T go to a cruiser
1zhelp.gif

Just got back from Barneys in Brandon FL.  I had a great time looking at the 05's.  After sitting on the Busa I'm left thinking just how comfy I'm going to be on it.  Everything feels great but my knees are kind of jammed into the tank.  It feels like an extra inch would be all the difference in the world.

A little history on me......... I'm 46, been riding all my life, can wheelie and drift the Buell through corners.  I also ride dirtbikes often.  I'm 6'2" and about 280lbs.  I currently ride a 2002 Buell X1. (They are a bit longer and "spread out" than the newer models)  Other than maybe looking a bit big for the bike, it feels great. I'm just ready for a more refined bike that doesn't burn my right leg off in traffic and can get me to Daytona without feeling like I just road a million miles!!

I KNOW I've seen bigger guys than myself riding Busa's in Daytona over the years.   I'd just like to hear from any taller or bigger riders here on their thougths. Possibly adaptions to the bike for more leg space.

Great forum, thanks in advance for any help or input!

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109444229 -->

6' 5" and 300....its the most comfortable sport bike your goin' to find. There are many aftermarket accessories, such as bars,seats, and foot pegs to customize the fit for you.

Welcome to the board! There are many folks taller than you on this board and bigger than you and all enjoying the Busa. Tallest person I have seen is 6'7". I'm 6'3" 225 and like you and the rest of the taller folks have a problem with the position of the pegs. Pegs from a Buell have been used, as well as, a GSXR750. Aftermarket pegs (Protek, Vortex) have also been used. Each of those can give that extra 1" you are looking for. Rearsets are a little more difficult to find.

A little biased opinion, but the Busa will not disappoint. Good luck on the decision.

6'3" barefoot, (no I don't ride barefoot) I find it very nice. I've ridden many 400 mile days and my legs outlast the rest of me.
smile.gif

BA, If you can fit on one, so can I!! Thanks all for the feedback. I'll be checking into foot peg options. If I can get about half of what the new Busa costs for the Buell, I'm all set. My Buell looks brand new with only 3500 miles so it's very possible.

FL welcome to the board... im also about 6 feet and weigh about 300 pounds! Ad Im really comfortable on my elenor. Nothing to complain...
biggrin.gif

FL Knifemaker

I am a fellow Buell rider turned Busa rider of recent. I'm not near as big as you, 6' 2" 205lbs, but you will be surprised at how comfortable the Busa is. I still own my 02' M2 and belive it or not the seat on the Busa is more comfortable. Can not quite figure that out since I have the after market Buell seat. I do have to agree with what has already been said about the riding position being a little tight on the knees though, but you get used to it.

Do not rely on trading in your X1 for a Busa though. That was what I was going to do until about every dealer I talked to said straight out that they did not want the Buell on their showroom floor. Look I love my Buell, but it seems the only people that like Buells are the ones that own one. Even though us bigger guys look like a monkey fcking a football.

If your credit is good you should be able to get financed through Suzuki. Hell and here is a kicker for you, my 02' M2 listed at $8999 msrp ended up paying close to $11000 out the door in 2001. Just got my 04' LE Busa about three weeks ago, mrsp was $10999, ending up paying $10700 out the door at a much better finance rate to. There is some screwy math for you.

If you can not afford both bikes you would be better off selling the Buell your self.

Also wether you still have the Buell or not you should check out Tampa/Lakeland Brag. No mebership fees and they do not care what bike you bring out to ride. They do however find some bad ass twisties to ride on.

Good luck man.

Sean

6'5", 275 here. Busa is the most comfortable for me. I put Buell pegs on her last summer and that extra inch and a half was just the ticket for my knees. I can't imagine how you could be disappointed moving from a Buell to the Hayabusa....

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the board.

Monty

6'4", 240 here. Never had any problems with my knees on the Busa. Hip will cramp up every now and then.

Thanks again for the replies. I just can't go with a cruiser so I'm damn excited to hear from many of you big guys. I think we could start our own wrestling league
smile.gif

Sgt Buell,

Believe me, I won't be trading in my Buell. HD laughed all the way to the bank once on my tab, it's not going to happen again. There's an HD Shop is right across the street from the Suzuki dealer and they do Buell trade ins often. They just work out a deal with the HD shop and I guess they end up over there. I won't even say what I over paid for my Bike, I got raked over the coals with totally useless service to back it up. There is a good reason my bike only has <4K miles on it but I won't get started with that here
cussing.gif
From what I understand, I'd be lucky to get 4K from it on a trade in. It's cleaned up, covered and RETIRED. I'll keep it if I can't get 5-6K for it. It might postpone the Busa purchase but I'm not giving away money to a dealer again!!

I'm very familiar with the Lakeland BRAG guys. If the Buell was ever up to it, I would have enjoyed riding with them. Long story short, since it was new, the Buell would have been lucky to make it to Lakeland HD (about 12 miles) where they meet, never mind the actual ride!! They are a nice group of people, they even offered to help figure out the problems with my Buell. Hopefully I'll join them soon on a Busa.

I see you know LaFayette. If any one can help with your Buell it is him. I low sided my Buell in the summer of 2003 riding with those guys. LaFayette had me take my bike over to his place and had me up and running right away. He also helped me with a couple of modes to my bike. By help I mean I stood around while he did all the work.

They still do not know that I have a Busa though. I plan on showing up for one of the rides with out warning. We did have an older couple (two-up) bring a Busa once. I think it would be pretty cool to have at least two Busas riding with the BRAG guys.

Lafayette is a hell of a nice guy. I would have taken him up on his offer to help me sort out my bike but I've totally lost interest in it. The Buell just about got me killed one night when it died in traffic. No motor, no lights, no NOTHING. I actually got hit from behind just hard enough to damage the mounts on the rear fender.........Could have been MUCH worse. It might sound dumb but it will take quite a while riding in traffic at night to get over that episode.

Being self employed, I have little spare time. Dealing with the Buell problems waisted a lot of valuable time AND money hauling it from dealer to dealer trying to get it fixed with no postive results. The frustration involved was getting the best of me as well. The wife and kids are happy that the bike is now covered, retired and IGNORED, at this point, so am I, LOL!!!

I would LOVE to show up with a Busa and ride with Lafayette and the BRAG guys some day, soon.

I've heard similar stories about the X1. If you want to share your X1 pain head over to "badweatherbikers.com" and ask for dyna. He had his engine pull a grenade right after he got it.

6'3 300 even here and I have no problems with my busa at all. I can even crouch down on the tank really well. I have been on like 4 and 5 hour hauls and not even uncomfortable on it. You will not be dissapointed.

Not to jump on Buell motorcycles or anything, but I found this site pretty interesting. It is a forum that talks about the problems with the Buell motorcycles and how HD dealerships and corporate side really doesn't try to help! There's a couple of stories about people being seriously injured and are in a lawsuit with HD becuase HD doesn't want to pay for hospital bills even though the motorcycle is the real reason that they had an accident! (Like yours FL Knifemaker)!

Anyways here you go
http://www.mybuell.com/

Cruncherbusa,

I'm familiar with that site and even sent a rather long letter regarding my situation. I'm not sure if or how often the site is updated. I really didn't want to get into trashing Buells here. I'm over it, or, well, just plain given up. As I mentioned above, I've ehausted all the effort I can afford to at this point. Buell/HD is very good at this game for a very good reason, experience.

Besides getting robbed from the stealer ship I have had great experience with my Buell. Then again the 2002 M2 Cyclone was also considered the most reliable of the old school tube frames.

To any body thinking of getting a new Buell a lot of the old problems have been dealt with. New Buells even come with a two year warranty.

That is all I have to say about that.

Sgt & FL - It wasn't my intentions to get on a Buell trashing thread! I just wanted you guys to know that some Buell owers have had some serious problems with them and to be careful because they have put some people in a bad situation!

Besides getting robbed from the stealer ship I have had great experience with my Buell. Then again the 2002 M2 Cyclone was also considered the most reliable of the old school tube frames.

To any body thinking of getting a new Buell a lot of the old problems have been dealt with. New Buells even come with a two year warranty.

That is all I have to say about that.
Yes, the new Buells are great. Very hi praise from the owners I know. The only problem is that if they do have a problem, you have the same old HD service behind them The bikes got better, not the support behind them. With the even shorter wheelbase than my bike, I really look like a monkey F'ing football though!!

The X1's are supposed to be the worst for problems and reliability. My dealership had a great solution, buy a V-Rod.
rock.gif

welcome to the board. Just cross over from the dark side and get a Busa
biggrin.gif

Back