Would a Busa as a 2nd bike be a retarded decision?

mrklingon

Registered
Hi,

Well, let me say first that I don't want a Busa. I want a B-King, which is an out of production standard with the busa powerplant.

I just started riding last April, took the MSF course, watched a ton of training videos, and bought a Nighthawk 750. Its engine has been virtually unchanged since the 70s debut of the CB750, the first super bike around. It makes about 70 HP and goes 0-60 under 4 seconds.

I really worried that this might be too much for a beginner when I got it but I've always felt the level of power was just right. I've had a single 5 mph high side (rear washed out on some pebbles turning out of a lot) and I've dropped it in the grass. Amazingly the bike is still in perfect condition. I feel fairly wisened from these incidents and I feel like I've come to be a somewhat decent rider.

Having said all that, would a Busa, or actually a B-King, be a bad idea? Wheelies aren't my thing and neither is going 200 MPH, I am just addicted to acceleration.

If a Busa is a bad idea, what would make sense to you as a sensible upgrade to my 70 HP Nighthawk? I'm 6' and normally weigh in around 180lbs, holiday season excluded. And just a FYI, I am not a huge fan of the sportbike riding position (admittedly I have never ridden on one for any length of time) and much prefer the seat of a standard or a cruiser, if that effects any suggestions.

relax...not knowing your age or really how long you have been riding, staying conservative on moving up in size is always a prudent decision. The hayabusa is not a fast motorcycle, anymore than a Ferrari is a fast car. It all depends on the rider and the riders decision making. PERIOD! Ride smooth and controlled and it doesnt matter what you ride. If you think you are fast, you aren't. If you think you are smooth, you aren't. If you think you are safe, you aren't. If you think that the driver next to you isn't gonna swerve into your lane at the last second cause he's bored of driving his 2 bit sedan and sees you coming in what looks like fun, he is!

Relax...if you plan on living a long and fruitful life of riding and curves and acceleration. Pick your spots wisely. pick your spots safely and live to ride another day.

Later
Lamb!!!!

i think "Lamb Busa" summed it up perfectly.... The Busa is only going to be how you ride it. I rip it up on our 600 and 929 but am more conservative on the Busa. Riding position doesnt feel like typical sportbike at all, very comfy to me.

Welcome to the oRg. A B-King would be a great bike. It all depends on how much you twist your wrist. On a busa, speed is deceptive. At 80 on your Nighthawk, you pretty much know you are doing 80, the busa will idle on the highway at 80 and because of that it is smooth and comfortable. Great for touring also.

I have also owned a Nighthawk. Then I went to 3rd generation Magna. Then the Busa. Kept the Magna for 2 years after getting my Busa. Rode them both. Entirely different bikes, riding, and performance. The Busa is a long haul bike. The Magna was a great all around town commuting/running errands bike. The Magna did some long trips, but at the end of 300 miles, you were ready to get off. The Busa, you can ride 500 miles and never have any issues in a day.

I'm 6'6". I had to make changes to the Busa to make it fit me. The Magna allowed me to ride it without changes. Sold the Magna. Still have the Busa. Going on 6 years now.

IDK? I think that you have some doubts in your ability and lack some confidence in your riding skill. Since you have just started riding I would recommend that you continue to ride and build up your confidence in your abilities before you put yourself in a situation on a bike that may be too much for you. Its easier to make the little mistakes and lapses in the fundamentals of riding on smaller less powerful bikes and still come out upright and intact. The last thing you wanna do is go out and buy a brand new busa :banghead: Those little 5mph spills and parking lot drops that you mentioned can result in possible thousands of dollars in damage :whistle:

mrklingon, or Worf :laugh:, my first bike was the Busa. You sound like you have a couple of marbles rolling around up there so you should be fine with the bike. The 'ol girl is as docile as you want her to be or the biggest b!$%# that you will ever come across. I continue to take classes, read and test the skills that I've learned. As many have said, and it is true, there is no substitute for time in the saddle...to get use to the style and to learn what she is capable of. good luck with your decision!

I'm a new rider also and decided to go Busa. I knew that was the bike I wanted, and would not be happy with anything different. So far I've had no troubles with such a "big" first bike. Like others on here have said, ride within your abilities and you'll be fine. Good luck with whatever choice you make, :welcome:, and don't forget to show us pictures of whatever you get

Back