Busa as first bike poll/data results

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok about 6 months worth of gleaning info off threads and a survey of members here and I have 180 responses to the "Busa as a first bike"

First off, this is "non-scientific" and likely means very little if anything.. also missing is any crash data.. There are a number of conclusions you can reach with this data but I think most is hard to quantify..

I know from USDOT figures (and insurance data) that most of the "busa first bike owners/riders" have crashed the bikes (85%+ is agreed by most) Did they (or were they able) to continue riding? Judging from the numbers many did not or could not..

Of the 46 riders that admit to the "Busa as a first bike" only 7 or 8 appear to be active on the boards.. (my count may be off 1 or 2 either way)

Conversely, the "Not my first bike" guys number 134 and of those, over 100 are currently active on the boards still.. so where only around 20% of the "newbie" bike owners are still here, 70% of the veterans are still here... sort of an odd spread.. curious as to why..

Was a first bike respondents:
46 Number of "Busa was first bike"
16 Suggest Busa as a beginner bike
4 unstated
7 Appear to be active on board today

WAS NOT a first bike respondents:

124 Number of "not my beginner bike"
10 Suggest Busa as a beginner bike
7 unstated
105 appear to be active on board today

Was a beginner bike (unstated)

6 Number of "not my beginner bike"
3 Suggest Busa as a beginner bike
0 unstated

The obvious trends:

Number of riders that bought a Busa as a first bike that discourage it: 65%

Number of riders that did not buy a Busa as a first bike and discourage it 90%+

Attached is the form data with names/dates removed.. (so you can read the comments posted..)

what I spotted was the 2/3 of the guys that bought the bike as a beginner bike that discourage it as a beginner bike to others...

may not mean a thing but is a pretty big number..

busa was my first street bike, although I rode dirt for 15yrs prior.... have no issue with it. If you've never ridden before I would think twice about it but don't see any issue with it if you think you can handle it.

Yeah, was my first bike here, but I took the MSF... I'm still riding 8 years later, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it... since I'm not 'normal' by any means. :whistle:

busa was my first street bike, although I rode dirt for 15yrs prior.... have no issue with it. If you've never ridden before I would think twice about it but don't see any issue with it if you think you can handle it.
IMHO...15 years of dirt bikes removes you from the beginner bike rider.. in fact I would think it puts you into the top percentile of guys that can "handle" the bike... you have "reflex" actions when things happen... you could not possibly think to hit the brakes in a panic situation like you most probably can.. you are on the binders before you even think about it..

Dirtbikes make a perfect learning ground IMO.. you can crash, fall off and just generally screw up hard and walk away most of the time.. :agree:

Definitely not my first bike but was out of the scene for 15 years and jumped back in with both feet and my K8!:laugh:

15yrs on any surface removes you from the equation:beerchug:

IMHO...15 years of dirt bikes removes you from the beginner bike rider.. in fact I would think it puts you into the top percentile of guys that can "handle" the bike... you have "reflex" actions when things happen... you could not possibly think to hit the brakes in a panic situation like you most probably can.. you are on the binders before you even think about it..

Dirtbikes make a perfect learning ground IMO.. you can crash, fall off and just generally screw up hard and walk away most of the time.. :agree:

I totally agree on the reaction portion of it. Riding dirt gives you the major changes in terrain that can help hone your reaction skills and how to deal with a potentially very bad situation very quickly without crashing. I know I've used my skills a plenty of times since I've owned the busa in 03.

I totally agree on the reaction portion of it. Riding dirt gives you the major changes in terrain that can help hone your reaction skills and how to deal with a potentially very bad situation very quickly without crashing. I know I've used my skills a plenty of times since I've owned the busa in 03.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
I started riding when I was 7yrs old. Got 11 yrs dirt riding before I bought my 86 gsxr as my 1st streetbike back in 87. (Which was the baddest thing you could purchase back then too btw...) I too believe a few yrs on the dirt is the best expierience you can have. It's saved my arse MANY times...

+9!!
I highly agree with both of you! I had 7 years of dirt bike/motocrossing experience b4 going to my 1st bike: Gixx6.

Look at most MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA Superbike racers. They all Never even ridden a street bike, but had motocross or dirt track experience. And they're the world's best road riders! Mat Mladin got his start in motocross and had supercross ambitions. The Haydens and Casey Stoner started off dirt track. Valentino Rossi messes around with dirt bikes during the off season to perfect bike control, traction management, and keep a feel for "the slide."

Back