Brock clutch vs stock

Tricky99

Registered
I've owned a stock Busa since 2003 and have 85K on my stock clutches. I just bought a tricked out 1999 stock motor Busa that was owned by a major race enthusiast here in Ohio. This was his cruise-in bike. From our conversation I learned he used to let the guys talk smack about how bad their bikes were and approach them saying I'll put my girl on this stock bike ans she'll blow your turbo bike away. It was a set up since they both raced Busas at the track all the time. I think they had like 10 Busas to take to different events. Anyway she was only like 110lbs and the bike has some nifty looks and mods that may have given her a real edge. What I was told about the mods. Obviously the 12 Track Dynamics Swing and Slick helped, This has a bracked for the air shifter bottle but the air shifter is not on the bike. The bike also has a modified TI-Force titanium exhaust, front suspension, front suspension tie downs, blocks in the spring, and lowering links. Under the fairing their is a billit clutch cover that I knew was not stock. I asked about it and was told there is a Brock clutch mod in there and that made it easy to pull the cover by tipping the bike and check the clutches between runs when they raced it. I was assured it was not raced much and the engine was stock though. I was warned about the rear end being a little lose with the swing arm and a bit trickier to handle than stock and that it did not have the timing retard or rev limiters of the later model bikes and that the subfram was still aluminum rather than steel. Also pointed out the Cromed out aluminum and plastic reduced weight too. Anyway, I was real cautious on the 250 mile trip home. I had no problems and the guy was nice enough to put a street tire on it for me too. After getting home and running it a little more I began to get on it a little. First thing I noticed was when cruising at 4k RPM and rolling on the gas it felt like my clutch was slipping. I eased off the bike a bit and was real concerned I might need a clutch but then yesterday I was riding easy and I needed to roll on it again. When I did it slipped then at like 7K it caught tire bit the asphault and I was gone like a bat out of ****. It felt like I was using my hand to slip the clutch on my stock busa. Another thing I noticed was that the clutch lever is real stiff compared to stock and when under 6K it the bike almost prefers to be shifted without using the clutch at all. This almost seems like an intentional modification of this clutch for track racing that was used in what appears to be a stock showbike to sucker in races for cash or something. Am I wrong about this assumption? Would a low RPM slippage of the clutch that grabs nicely at 7K be somethign I need to look into more? Thanks for the info. I hate to toss my money out the window if this is a good thing. :) Last question: could this slipage up to 7K be reduced with stronger springs? I was told the springs and clutches are stock. Thanks for the info guys. I'll try helping stock owners too since I have 85K on my stock bike!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I saw pics and timeslips of low to mid 9s with this bike, and that it only had 300 miles put on it between the time he bought it salvage and he put it back together like this when I bought it. I put almost as many miles on it, on the way home as they put on it while they owned it. They also owned about 10 more DRAG-Only Busa's with time slips in the high 7s and low 8s as well as many other high end $25K+ cruisers and such. Seems like they like bikes more than anyone I ever met having trailers and trucks used for their weekends or whatever. Guy owned a real nice body shop and did some killer custom work on cars and bikes.:beerchug:

Pics of bike

Busa.jpg

Busa2.jpg

Back