Breather blowing smoke

Well my bad.. I wasn't clear on what exactly I was quoted for so here it is:
Carillo rods, JE turbo pistons, 62lb injectors, adjustable cam gears, carpenter valve springs, and tuning.
All I do is drop the bike off and pick it up once its done. Actual price was $4700 so roughly 5k after everything.  I made up my mind. I'll take it there but now I'm trying to find a way to get my bike there. It's a 5 hour drive one way.
firedevil.gif
Honestly unless you are in need of more than say 250hp,  I think most of this is simply "overkill"   building a 400hp bottom end to run a basic turbo setup really just rings of wasted $$ to me..

NOW if you plan on ramping up to where you need these HD parts, that is a different story but I suspect that the turbo kit you now own is not up to the task..  

Keeping life within reason, I would get stage1 working reliably before heading off to stage 2/3 or above..

A stock set of pistons at $50 and a few hundred in labor sure seems a good baseline (provided that is all you need)...  get some time on the bike at this power level and see how you like it..

I am not a "busa" builder by any stretch but I do have 20+ years of racing and "hot rod" builds that in many cases were just a "show of dough"  and totally impractical for driving...  the true "hot rods" were pretty much built just to race (cost to much to drive off the track anyway)...  

anyway, glad that the 5G estimate was cleared up a bit, I have seen guys taken for big bucks is all and end up with junk..  Glad this was not one of those
smile.gif
it has already been posted that he wants stronger parts so he can turn the boost up
thumb_up.gif
my stage 1 kit is capable of 400 hp if i upgrade the internals. i did. it runs up and down the road in traffic and thru town the same as always. nothing impractical about it
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Well my bad.. I wasn't clear on what exactly I was quoted for so here it is:
Carillo rods, JE turbo pistons, 62lb injectors, adjustable cam gears, carpenter valve springs, and tuning.
All I do is drop the bike off and pick it up once its done. Actual price was $4700 so roughly 5k after everything. I made up my mind. I'll take it there but now I'm trying to find a way to get my bike there. It's a 5 hour drive one way.
firedevil.gif
Honestly unless you are in need of more than say 250hp, I think most of this is simply "overkill" building a 400hp bottom end to run a basic turbo setup really just rings of wasted $$ to me..

NOW if you plan on ramping up to where you need these HD parts, that is a different story but I suspect that the turbo kit you now own is not up to the task..

Keeping life within reason, I would get stage1 working reliably before heading off to stage 2/3 or above..

A stock set of pistons at $50 and a few hundred in labor sure seems a good baseline (provided that is all you need)... get some time on the bike at this power level and see how you like it..

I am not a "busa" builder by any stretch but I do have 20+ years of racing and "hot rod" builds that in many cases were just a "show of dough" and totally impractical for driving... the true "hot rods" were pretty much built just to race (cost to much to drive off the track anyway)...

anyway, glad that the 5G estimate was cleared up a bit, I have seen guys taken for big bucks is all and end up with junk.. Glad this was not one of those
smile.gif
it has already been posted that he wants stronger parts so he can turn the boost up
thumb_up.gif
my stage 1 kit is capable of 400 hp if i upgrade the internals. i did. it runs up and down the road in traffic and thru town the same as always. nothing impractical about it
thumb_up.gif
thought you were just putting it back together?

thumb_up.gif

1) i have finished putting it back together. runs great getting it dynoed when i get back from vacation
thumb_up.gif

Slaven, sorry to here about your misfortune, from what I understand Frank is one of the best, if you want to go that route, Greg said stock pistons will hold up you just have to lower comp (cly spacer .080) and put it back together then it will take 8-10 psi boost ok as long as you get it tuned properly, dyno map in any case 8 lbs boost with stock comp dyno tune or no is a time bomb sooner or later it will melt something, also if your quality of gas is questionable it makes things worse

1) i have finished putting it back together. runs great getting it dynoed when i get back from vacation
thumb_up.gif
ok well when you say <div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
my stage 1 kit is capable of 400 hp if i upgrade the internals. i did. it runs up and down the road in traffic and thru town the same as always. nothing impractical about it[/quote] it would lead me to believe you have been riding it around on the street under power.. I say it is impractical in most cases, there are no places in a town to turn the wick up on a 400hp bike.. when you do crank it up, it better be tuned and running perfect...

IME increases in power provide decreases in reliability and life span.. This was not intended to be any kind of debate on "how reliable" a turbo motor making 35+ pounds of boost is (I already know that it "can" be done but it is VERY expensive" and never reliable if used to any extent)

I just know this is not the realm of the "average" bike owner.. you better be able to work on stuff yourself or you are going to be staring at your bike a lot because you will not be riding near as much..

Any "minor" glitch results in big time "fail" when things are stretched out that far.. I would work my way up in the power on the stock parts until I hit the 300hp mark myself.. (if he ever gets there)

I have built numerous "race" setups that guys wanted to run on the street... just never works out like they intended.. but at least I warned them first..

i am thinking you just misunderstood my post or i am communicating poorly. you said you thought his turbo was not up to the task of 400hp. some stage 1s are upgradable to 400hp. i am not running 35lbs of boost nor do i think tht would be the greatest street set-up. i am expecting between 300-320 on the dyno. i built my motor capable of more than that, no need to have things on the edge of capabilty. if you have a reputable shop build and tune your motor and stay within those parameters there is no reason you can't get alot of trouble free relible miles out of it. plenty are doing that. sorry if i confused the issue
thumb_up.gif

Back