Breather blowing smoke

So If the stock pistons and rods are good for about 300hp. how come i keep hearing that they're shot?
The bike never ran lean under WOT and I never ran more boost than I should've. Could It be just the piston rings? Cause I keep getting a lot of blow by and thats why it smokes so bad. Bike still starts up fine it just runs like crap and i pulled the plugs after the bike ran for a minute or so and they seemed new. I have a feeling that somewhere a hose came off but I can't find nothin. And I can't believe that the compression can be that low and the motor still idles okay for the most part.
As simple as "forced induction" may seem on the top, it is highly unforgiving of any "small" technical screw up in the tune.. (bolting one on yourself is not so hard, knowing what the tune up needs to be at takes lots of experience)

Detonation (pinging) can generate 10 times (as I recall) the forces on the rotating assembly when it occurs not to mention the temps.. It can literally "hammer" the ring lands shut and then melt pistons as hot gases go past the no longer sealing rings.. (It can also happen between the rings and blow them open) Just the temperatures generated can "melt" the center out of a piston..

A split second of "lean and mean" can kill a motor...

Depending on fuel quality , 8 psi & 12:1 is not necessarily a safe combo on std compression.
Pull it down and see whats damaged, probably pistons if the breather is fumeing or pulsing, maybe even cyl damage , depends on your luck.. hope its not too bad.

I haven't checked anything yet. I hate taking the motor apart. But most likely I'll just beef it up so I dont have to mess with it again.

That sucks Slaven. What you described sounds exactly like what I went through last fall. The running on three cylinders part anyway. I would be willing to bet that you have melted a piston in some fashion. Do a search on "vaporized pistons" in the turbo section and you'll see what my pistons and head damage looked like. All you can do is hope for the best and take it apart. Oh by the way my bike is still not running yet, hoping to have it going by the end of this month. I've been saying that since May though so will see about that! Good luck!

don't get discouraged, it happens. I am not sure of your driving style but sustained WOT on a stage 1 stock compression engine is risky. I run 6 lbs but only run WOT for short distances( lees than a 1/4 mi.)and have had no problems. If you like to run hard and long, tear it down and build it strong, lower compression, water injection, secondaries, a good map and more money. Every style of riding comes with a price. No shortcuts are allowed when running a turbo, you get what you pay for.

Monte

Motor had a headspacer cometic headgasket ape headbolts. I dont think Ill have time to rip it apart until the weekend.

I haven't checked anything yet. I hate taking the motor apart. But most likely I'll just beef it up so I dont have to mess with it again.
a word of caution... you can use any parts you like and if the tune up is off... you WILL be doing this again.. it is absolutely imperative that you have the bike tuned by someone with experience on turbo motors..

regardless of the pistons/rods you use, if you lean it out again, it will fry.. I have burned a couple hundred pistons over the years drag racing and aftermarket slugs melt pretty close the same same temp as stock forged pistons..

If they say stockers will work just fine, use them and put the money towards the tuneup
smile.gif
thumb_up.gif

Talked to frank at powerhouse, Ill try to take the bike down there sometime this week. $5000 i hope she wont break again, Ill have them tune it once its done as well.

5G??? you outa your mind??
laugh.gif
you do not know what has let go or what it will take to fix it.. I would suspect that you torched a head gasket... possibly a head/cylinder assy... if he is quoting prices and does not even have the bike in hand,.. "Run FORREST RUN!!!

For 5G's you could likely get GC to come over and fix the thing for you...
smile.gif

5G??? you outa your mind??  
laugh.gif
  you do not know what has let go or what it will take to fix it.. I would suspect that you torched a head gasket... possibly a head/cylinder assy...  if he is quoting prices and does not even have the bike in hand,.. "Run FORREST RUN!!!  

For 5G's you could likely get GC to come over and fix the thing for you...  
smile.gif
Frank at Powerhouse is good people and a great builder. he has been around for years and builds lots of turbo busas. he deals directly with Richard at Rcc and has a good reputation. he built my motor a few weeks ago. anytime he said he was going to do something he did it. he steered me away from some things that he could of made extra $$ on. i decided to take my motor to him after Richard at rcc recommended him. if you want one of the best to build your motor run forrest run to powerhouse
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I'm still debating whether to take it to powerhouse or have my buddy do the work. he's built car motors before. And he's a certified motorcycle tech.

I am just saying that any guy that is going to quote you 5G's on a motor that he has no idea of what is wrong yet... is already on my radar screen... Could it be 5G? torched head/torched cylinder walls, bent rods, cracked crank... maybe but honestly, this could be a simple round of pistons, and a machine shop bill...

seems to just go from one extreme to the other here... pulling the head off a motor is not that big of a deal to any guy that has experience working on motors and knows how to read...

Well my bad.. I wasn't clear on what exactly I was quoted for so here it is:
Carillo rods, JE turbo pistons, 62lb injectors, adjustable cam gears, carpenter valve springs, and tuning.
All I do is drop the bike off and pick it up once its done. Actual price was $4700 so roughly 5k after everything. I made up my mind. I'll take it there but now I'm trying to find a way to get my bike there. It's a 5 hour drive one way.
firedevil.gif

I am just saying that any guy that is going to quote you 5G's on a motor that he has no idea of what is wrong yet... is already on my radar screen...  Could it be 5G?  torched head/torched cylinder walls, bent rods, cracked crank...  maybe but honestly, this could be a simple round of pistons, and a machine shop bill...

seems to just go from one extreme to the other here...   pulling the head off a motor is not that big of a deal to any guy that has experience working on motors and knows how to read...
Slavin was told all he probably needed was pistons, and MAYBE a bore if the cylinder walls are damaged.  Slavin is the one that asked for Carrillos, oversize pistons, valve springs, all new bearings, larger injectors, etc. - he wants to build a strong motor in case he turns up the boost down the road . . . POWERHOUSE quoted him on an entire rebuild using the best components . . . POWERHOUSE also told him that the motor has to come apart before an accurate assessment is made of the damage - I know, I was standing there when this guy called . . .

I am just saying that any guy that is going to quote you 5G's on a motor that he has no idea of what is wrong yet... is already on my radar screen...  Could it be 5G?  torched head/torched cylinder walls, bent rods, cracked crank...  maybe but honestly, this could be a simple round of pistons, and a machine shop bill...

seems to just go from one extreme to the other here...   pulling the head off a motor is not that big of a deal to any guy that has experience working on motors and knows how to read...
Slavin was told all he probably needed was pistons, and MAYBE a bore if the cylinder walls are damaged.  Slavin is the one that asked for Carrillos, oversize pistons, valve springs, all new bearings, larger injectors, etc. - he wants to build a strong motor in case he turns up the boost down the road . . . POWERHOUSE quoted him on an entire rebuild using the best components . . . POWERHOUSE also told him that the motor has to come apart before an accurate assessment is made of the damage - I know, I was standing there when this guy called . . .
its SlavEn lol and yeah your correct. I'm trying to find someone with a pickup truck so i can drive the thing down there.

Well my bad.. I wasn't clear on what exactly I was quoted for so here it is:
Carillo rods, JE turbo pistons, 62lb injectors, adjustable cam gears, carpenter valve springs, and tuning.
All I do is drop the bike off and pick it up once its done. Actual price was $4700 so roughly 5k after everything. I made up my mind. I'll take it there but now I'm trying to find a way to get my bike there. It's a 5 hour drive one way.
firedevil.gif
Honestly unless you are in need of more than say 250hp, I think most of this is simply "overkill" building a 400hp bottom end to run a basic turbo setup really just rings of wasted $$ to me..

NOW if you plan on ramping up to where you need these HD parts, that is a different story but I suspect that the turbo kit you now own is not up to the task..

Keeping life within reason, I would get stage1 working reliably before heading off to stage 2/3 or above..

A stock set of pistons at $50 and a few hundred in labor sure seems a good baseline (provided that is all you need)... get some time on the bike at this power level and see how you like it..

I am not a "busa" builder by any stretch but I do have 20+ years of racing and "hot rod" builds that in many cases were just a "show of dough" and totally impractical for driving... the true "hot rods" were pretty much built just to race (cost to much to drive off the track anyway)...

anyway, glad that the 5G estimate was cleared up a bit, I have seen guys taken for big bucks is all and end up with junk.. Glad this was not one of those
smile.gif

Back