Breather blowing smoke

SxLxAxVxExN

Registered
Bike sounds like its running on three cylinders, and smokes out of the crank breather. Any ideas on what this could be? Turbo is fine, I didn't see any pinched hoses anywhere. And if you plug that breather it starts blowing smoke through the turbo.
I tried searching and didn't find any answers.
Thanks

Oh dear, I hate problems!
guns.gif

you torched a piston most likely detonated it or just overheated and the things turn to aluminum vapor... time for teardown..

you torched a piston most likely   detonated it or just overheated and the things turn to aluminum vapor... time for teardown..
That's the last thing I wanted to hear/read
banghead.gif

I was running a FMU on stock injectors. Compression reads 30 on the first two cylinders and 0 on the other two. Nothing cracked so the block is still good I take it.
Now.. What should I do? I have a friend that builds motors so He;d do it for me.. But I need to know what to order and from where?
I'd love to buy a built motor and just drop it in there cause I hate not being able to ride the bike.
All the help is greatly appreciated guys.

well odd that two are at 30 and 2 at 0... at the VERY least you torched a headgasket... I suspect it is worse but that is 30 plus years of wrenching turbo motors... (it should not even run at 30psi so I suspect a dead compression tester)

Routine still the same, you need to tear it apart and inspect CLOSELY .. all pistons need inspected for crushed ring lands etc....

you torched a piston most likely   detonated it or just overheated and the things turn to aluminum vapor... time for teardown..
That's the last thing I wanted to hear/read  
banghead.gif

I was running a FMU on stock injectors. Compression reads 30 on the first two cylinders and 0 on the other two. Nothing cracked so the block is still good I take it.
Now.. What should I do? I have a friend that builds motors so He;d do it for me.. But I need to know what to order and from where?
I'd love to buy a built motor and just drop it in there cause I hate not being able to ride the bike.
All the help is greatly appreciated guys.
i went through a similar situation. symptoms not as bad and ended up that i popped a head gasket. i took the opportunity to get a complete rebuild done. the best advice i got was to take it to a builder that has experience with turbo motors. i pulled the motor myself brought it to the shop, saved a few bucks. i am putting everything back together now. you have to make sure EVERYTHING is operating properly and within its proper specs before you twist the throttle wide open. boost is great but unforgiving it only takes a few seconds to cause lots-o-damage. good luck
thumb_up.gif

Compression that low are you turning over and testing via hand turn or are you using starter to turn it over for test?

I used the starter to turn the motor. I don't know.. the headgasket seems fine from what i can tell. I never went over 8 psi and the A/F under WOT never went over 12.1.
I put new plugs in it thinking they were fouled. Started the bike and it still ran like crap, pulled the plugs and all you could smell is a bit of oil but they looked brand new still.
I hate to take the motor apart and not being sure that its fried.

if it is smoking like that and the compression is that low..... you don't have to worry about taking it apart for no reason, it needs a teardown
sad.gif

high boost is not required to hurt a motor.. with 8lbs boost you are making roughly 50% more torque and so loads go up.. a motor can detonate (and you can not hear it) and kill a piston in short order..

detonation can actually happen between the ring lands and bust the ring seal at the ring grooves.. makes for some very ugly piston burns..

Head gaskets do not "burn" to the outside world on most gas motors, they let go between cylinders or into water jackets. A zero reading only means one thing.... tear down..

I would also add that if you simply tear down, fix the broken parts and put it back together, you will likely be doing it again very shortly.. you need to find the reason it let go (fuel map? spark curve? compression?) dyno time is a must with someone that knows what they are doing...

I wish I never turboed it.
So what do you guys think?.. JE 81mm pistons, carillo H beam rods? What else am I gonna need? Should i get oem rod bearings and all that crap?

I would put another set of stock pistons back in, they are nice and strong if everything is correct. I can get you motor parts if you need anything, IMO spend $50 or so for a set of stock pistons, do a new gasket and have the surfaces decked.

So If the stock pistons and rods are good for about 300hp. how come i keep hearing that they're shot?
The bike never ran lean under WOT and I never ran more boost than I should've. Could It be just the piston rings? Cause I keep getting a lot of blow by and thats why it smokes so bad. Bike still starts up fine it just runs like crap and i pulled the plugs after the bike ran for a minute or so and they seemed new. I have a feeling that somewhere a hose came off but I can't find nothin. And I can't believe that the compression can be that low and the motor still idles okay for the most part.

I made 460 hp on stock pistons, had them in there for last 2 years mostly running 350 hp on the street, something is wrong with the tune if they are tore up.

didn't your wastegate hose fall off at one point while you were riding wtfo? that would do it. did you bounce it off the rev limiter at any time? that would do it. like smithabusa said an improper tune will do it. i know you had a few issues as you were trying to learn on the fly with this kit. you have to make sure that EVERYTHING is within the proper parameters before you run it wide open full boost. don't wish you never put the turbo on though, learn from it and rebuild it better. boost is good m'kay

Back