Turbo blowing a lot of oil

I spoke with midwest turbo center (who rebuilt the turbo) and he said it would be no problem to send the turbo back and have a new ring put in it, but he thinks it just plain needs a scavenge pump. It's still just loading up the exhaust side with oil. It runs great again at least, but back to square one.

I checked the return line, and took off the breather filter and hose from the engine per franks advice. I took it out last weekend on the highway and got the turbo spooled up for a bit. Wife was behind me and said it smoked a bunch when I got on it but off throttle looked good. When I got home it seems to not smoke but it did that last time and the rings took a crap so we will see.

If the piston rings are crap or aren't seated it will allow for blowby. That pressure will help push oil out the turbo seals. Please post back I'm interested in seeing how this goes

No compression test needed yet...the rings WERE bad before. I put the pistons and rings from my bike in it and the bike at this point runs flawless again. It smoked sitting on the lift table but I know there was oil in the turbo still. I took it on the highway and cleared it out. It looks a lot better, but I'll know more when I have the wife take it to the track on wednesday.

You would do a leak down to see how much blow by there is.
Also - while not ideal why didn't you get new rings instead of used from another bike? This would have eliminated the rings as the issue even now. Assuming the leak down is OK you have a turbo or drain issue.

My wife took the bike down the track last night. She made about 5 passes. Never saw any smoke, and ran flawless. I could smell oil after the first two passes faintly, but now that's gone. I think we are all good again. Thanks again hayabusa.org!

Back