blind corner tips?

samw5

Registered
that's probably gonna sound a bit easy for some but I've recently started riding on road with rocks on the inside the corner and have a real hard time getting the most out of the bike while cornering.

basically i do my best to look but the only thing I see is a blur since the exit of the turn is completely hidden from me.

I've tried this several times and despite knowing what to expect I don't feel like i'm going as fast as i would normally.

Anyone's got tips on what to do, where to look while taking blind turns?

and sorry for the "basic" question... never actually tried to keep up a good pace going through roads like this.

Slow down until you can see the exit, then you can accelerate off the corner.

Blind corners at speed can be very dangerous. Tight curves can sometimes put oncoming traffic accross the yellow in your lane. Make every blind corner like someone crossed a couple of feet over the line. When you have confirmed they are not there, you turn up the wick a bit.

Once again the Professor produces a great answer. I approach blind corners expecting the worst, something completely blocking the road. If you are going faster than you can see around the corner you will eventually find a surprise waiting for you.
beerchug.gif

This is why you do track days. In my area you might find a tree across that exit or a slow moving tractor, or two idiots having a conversation
SHOCKED.gif

that's pretty much what i've been doing... it's just that i'm having a hard time seing how people can ride through it any faster (if the road was closed hypothetically). Looking at the wall/moutain next to my head is a bit disturbing and looking as far as I can see produces wider than expected turns.

+1 On what the Professor said, especially if there is gravel. There are a lot of accidents and casualties in the Hill country where I ride often, and the young riders think that when the sign says " 10mph" and " watch out for falling gravel" that they can take that sharp corner fast. Needless to say the worst happens.

Take your time watch out for gravel, and enjoy the ride. Safety first.

Ride only as fast as you can see, so in a blind corner ride slow.

If you must ride fast on a blind corner, check it out first. Ride through it looking for hazards, turn around and go back through it, then take it fast if you must. But be aware, you have minimized your risks, but there are still risks. Such as a car in your lane opposite direction!

On some tracks, corners are blind. The key to going fast through them is memorizing them and finding reference points. On a trackday you will do about 50 laps. You get 50 tries to figure out the corner
wink.gif

good... i just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing something wrong or that there wasn't anything magic.

i did my best trying the head and looking ahead but it just seemed a bit uncomfortable going around the turn not being able to look as far as i would have liked.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips.

Cheers,
Sam

(Professor @ Sep. 10 2007,10:20) Slow down until you can see the exit, then you can accelerate off the corner.  

Blind corners at speed can be very dangerous. Tight curves can sometimes put oncoming traffic accross the yellow in your lane. Make every blind corner like someone crossed a couple of feet over the line. When you have confirmed they are not there, you turn up the wick a bit.
+10 there is a mountain ride here that has some 10mph turns, everyone rips through them. but what i have noticed. there always seams to be a guy hauling a boat half in my lane just as i come out of the corner. on an Saturday bicycles are everywhere. i go slow, i dint want to hit anyone.
be safe if you cant see, dont go fast!

Back