BLACK POLITICAL HISTORY: THE UNTOLD STORY NOTE: All answers are "b."

KFORCE1

Registered
Ok so black history month is right around the corner. Here is some history to ponder on as we approach February :)

http://www.nbra.info/DYK-HistoryTest

Note: This is not meant to malign any current democrat or offend anyone on this forum. It is purely factual and an untold story that is often ignored while republicans and conservatives get all the false blame of being called racists. Please keep all discussion civil and respectful. :thumbup:

That's some funny stuff. True, but funny. What's missing is historical perspective. The political and social views of both parties have reversed themselves since then. If a person finds the stated views of a given party more in line with their personal values, then they should align themselves with said party, regardless of race. Worked real well for Herman Cain, J.C. Watts and Michael Steele :banghead:
Good try though.....

Ok so black history month is right around the corner. Here is some history to ponder on as we approach February :)

HistoryTest | National Black Republican Association

Note: This is not meant to malign any current democrat or offend anyone on this forum. It is purely factual and an untold story that is often ignored while republicans and conservatives get all the false blame of being called racists. Please keep all discussion civil and respectful. :thumbup:

Then what is your point?

Admittedly I have not clicked through to your page but I will offer to the group this video. Its from 60 Minutes, a show that generally can be considered by most to at least air things out. Its a video of Morgan Freeman, someone that most would consider a good, if not great actor and someone that has no issues being vocal on issues he is passionate about.

I agree with his message and wish more people could see as clearly as he does. Why cant we just all get along :thumbsup:

Freeman On Black History - 60 Minutes - CBS News

That's some funny stuff. True, but funny. What's missing is historical perspective. The political and social views of both parties have reversed themselves since then. If a person finds the stated views of a given party more in line with their personal values, then they should align themselves with said party, regardless of race. Worked real well for Herman Cain, J.C. Watts and Michael Steele :banghead:
Good try though.....

Im with you on this one.

the more one race tries to identify themselves as being different from others (Black History Month, United ***** College Fund, Miss Black America, Ebony Magazine, BET, etc....) only serves to promote racism imo.

when one race or group of people strive so hard to identify themselves as being different and seperate from others its only natural that many will treat them that way. and not always in a positive manner either.

id like to see the up roar if white people had the following: White History Month, United White College Fund, Miss White America.....lol that one would surely go over well:whistle:, White Magazine.???

you just cant have it both ways. if black people want others to see and treat them as equals then they need to represent themselves as equals and be proud to be an American without some continent wrapped around their race.

there are many Americans that have decendants from Germany, Poland, Italy, etc... but you dont see those people demanding for people to refer to them as European Americans do you and you certainly dont have Miss European American either do you? Africa is a continent just as Europe is and I can assure you we as Americans have far greater decendants from Europe then Africa.

The point of having all the things you mentioned specifically for black people was because they were not included in the white versions of them.
While I agree that times have changed, and things have gotten far better, obviously some people with other than white skin still feel disenfranchised or marginalized by society. Black history month was set aside to recognize historical contributions made to this country that weren't taught in school. United ***** college fund was formed to allow people who were prevented from going to college to go. Miss black america started because no black women were able to enter the Miss america pageant. Ebony magazine happened because black people weren't represented in mainstream print. BET was created to promote positive images of black people because they were few and far between on the networks. All these institutions have been successful because there was a need for them, and people recognized that need and made them work. If you truly don't think there was a need for them, then there is no point in my explaining it to you, you will never understand. That need has lessened greatly in recent years, however if they weren't financially viable they would have ceased to exist. Obviously some people still think there is a need for them.
As far as your saying descendants, I think you meant ancestors, but I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by far greater (ancestors) from Europe than Africa. Greater in number? In stature? In accomplishment? Could you clarify this for me please?

The point of having all the things you mentioned specifically for black people was because they were not included in the white versions of them.
While I agree that times have changed, and things have gotten far better, obviously some people with other than white skin still feel disenfranchised or marginalized by society. Black history month was set aside to recognize historical contributions made to this country that weren't taught in school. United ***** college fund was formed to allow people who were prevented from going to college to go. Miss black america started because no black women were able to enter the Miss america pageant. Ebony magazine happened because black people weren't represented in mainstream print. BET was created to promote positive images of black people because they were few and far between on the networks. All these institutions have been successful because there was a need for them, and people recognized that need and made them work. If you truly don't think there was a need for them, then there is no point in my explaining it to you, you will never understand. That need has lessened greatly in recent years, however if they weren't financially viable they would have ceased to exist. Obviously some people still think there is a need for them.
As far as your saying descendants, I think you meant ancestors, but I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by far greater (ancestors) from Europe than Africa. Greater in number? In stature? In accomplishment? Could you clarify this for me please?

Mr. Brown, I agree with you totally. Excellent way to put it.

IMO People should be free to celebrate their racial, tribal and ancestral heritage as long as it is not harmful or perpetuating hatred. Where once there was hatred, let there now be forgiveness and love. Scottish Americans have Scottish parades, Irish Americans take pride in their own heritage and celebrations, latinos, Russians etc have theirs too. I think we should all embrace diversity and be open to share our cultural experiences in a way that brings us all together. When race enters politics though, it is often used as a political weapon to create lies and cause division for the purpose of power, control and votes. That's what it has become in America and it's true also in the form of tribalism in other parts of the world like Africa etc. If you thought racism was bad, wait till you hear the devastating politics of tribalism in Africa. Just another mess in this fallen world we live in.

IMO the biggest promoter of racism is the US goverment by defineing there is such a thing as a "minority" but now whats even worse is current census shows HISPANIC is now the MAJORITY in the united states and i am wondering when the laws that provide benifits to MINORITYS (yes the laws do not specify specific races)...will start being applyed fairly...... JMO for the purpose of being the devils advicate and hateing the concept of racism in the first place!!

Black history month was set aside because in school we were not taught about historical black people in our history? really? so we never learned about MLK, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Jessie Owens, Joe Frasier, Coretta Scott King, etc.... to say we never learned about historical black people in school and therefore we need a month dedicated to them is nonsense.

the united ***** fund was formed to allow black people who were prevented from going to college? there are far more poor white kids in this country that cannot afford to go to college then black. so that argument makes no sense at all.

since when are black women not allowed to enter the Miss America contest? I cant remember at any time in my lifetime that prevented black women from entering the Miss America contest. what would happen if white women wanted to participate in the Miss Black America contest? and ill bet ALL of those black women have white people in their genealogy at some point.

Ebony magazine happened because blacks wernt represented in mainstream print? I can understand that one but the fact remains that if there was a magazine listed "White magazine" and dedicated to white people only I can assure the NAACP would be all over it. again, seperating oneself from everyone else.

BET was created to promote positive images of black people? I think many black people would disagree with you. BET is racist imo and often shows blacks as a one demensional people who listen to hip hop music and use slang terms. BET displays urban stereotypes that many black people dont conform to. would WET be acceptable? do you think the NAACP would object to a network called White Entertainment Television?

all these programs and titles only serve to seperate blacks from mainstream society not make us a melting pot of one.

and yes we are decendants from our ancestors that come from all over the world but we are Americans and dont have a continent representing our heritage like black people do. and yes far greater people in numbers came from europe then Africa.

bottom line is if were going to be a nation of one then we should lose the titlements that refer to one particular race vs. another when referring to a magazine, beauty pageant, college fund or a month dedicated to a particular race. personally I dont really give a chit one way or the other but many white people in this country see it as racism and I can assure many black would to if whites had magazines and beauty pageants named after them. those do little to promote unity among one another.

this isnt 1960. its 2012.

Black history month was set aside because in school we were not taught about historical black people in our history? really? so we never learned about MLK, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Jessie Owens, Joe Frasier, Coretta Scott King, etc.... to say we never learned about historical black people in school and therefore we need a month dedicated to them is nonsense.
All the people you mentioned are people whose place in history was earned after the civil rights movement. There are many black people that are noteworthy long before that time, but until black history month the majority of Americans had never heard of them. An example is Crispus Attucks who was the first casualty of the American Revolution.

the united ***** fund was formed to allow black people who were prevented from going to college? there are far more poor white kids in this country that cannot afford to go to college then black. so that argument makes no sense at all.

The UNCF was founded to provide funding for kids that were disqualified for scholarships due to their race. They give scholarships to historically black universities (which in turn were founded due to non-admission of blacks at other schools) who allow entry to all students regardless of ethnicity.
Being prevented from attending and being financially unable to do so are two totally different things.

since when are black women not allowed to enter the Miss America contest? I cant remember at any time in my lifetime that prevented black women from entering the Miss America contest. what would happen if white women wanted to participate in the Miss Black America contest? and ill bet ALL of those black women have white people in their genealogy at some point.
In 1968 when the Miss black america pageant was created there had not been a single black, latina, asian, or native american contestant, let alone winner. Unfortunately history predates your, my and everyone else breathing today's lifetime. Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. You are probably correct when stating that all the contestants in the Miss black america pageant have white people in their genes, but please understand that they identify as black because our society has taught them that. From a legal standpoint 1/8 black meant you were considered black, and some states and individual communities went so far as to institute a "one drop" rule. Just like it sounds, one drop of black blood in your gene pool meant you were considered black. Seems ridiculous now, but that's the way it was.

Ebony magazine happened because blacks wernt represented in mainstream print? I can understand that one but the fact remains that if there was a magazine listed "White magazine" and dedicated to white people only I can assure the NAACP would be all over it. again, seperating oneself from everyone else.
All the available magazines were listed "White magazine", if not on the cover then by the total absence of anything but white people contained within. That was my point. The NAACP didn't exist back then, so they could hardly have been all over it.

BET was created to promote positive images of black people? I think many black people would disagree with you. BET is racist imo and often shows blacks as a one demensional people who listen to hip hop music and use slang terms. BET displays urban stereotypes that many black people dont conform to. would WET be acceptable? do you think the NAACP would object to a network called White Entertainment Television?
Again, all the networks were "WET" by default, hence the need to create BET. I think BET is racist, and does promote negative stereotypes sometimes, that's why I don't watch it often. That doesn't change the fact that it is enormously successful and continues to be a valuable tool for advertisers. Someone's watching it, just not me.

all these programs and titles only serve to seperate blacks from mainstream society not make us a melting pot of one.
Blacks were been separated from mainstream society long before any of these programs and titles were created, there was that whole slavery and 3/5 of a man thing thing....
In a melting pot all the ingredients lose their individual flavor, I prefer the gumbo or salad bowl analogy. Each ingredient brings something distinct, and the overall flavor is enhanced by all.

and yes we are decendants from our ancestors that come from all over the world but we are Americans and dont have a continent representing our heritage like black people do. and yes far greater people in numbers came from europe then Africa.
Umm, you have a continent that represents your heritage, if you are white it's Europe. If you're something else it's somewhere else. St Patrick wasn't from Africa as far as I know, but I've drank plenty of green beer!

bottom line is if were going to be a nation of one then we should lose the titlements that refer to one particular race vs. another when referring to a magazine, beauty pageant, college fund or a month dedicated to a particular race. personally I dont really give a chit one way or the other but many white people in this country see it as racism and I can assure many black would to if whites had magazines and beauty pageants named after them. those do little to promote unity among one another.
From your statements I can infer that you see it as racism, and you are entitled to that opinion. I happen to agree with you on that. I was simply trying to provide some perspective as to why these things came to be in the first place. I think that the time has come to drop such divisive programs, but in order to do that we must first understand why they were necessary.

this isnt 1960. its 2012.
True, things have gotten much better, but 1960 wasn't that long ago. Until 1968 (2 years before my birth) inter-racial marriage was illegal in Virginia. It took the U.S. Supreme Court to correct it.

BET, Black Miss America, NAACP: They exist because people wish them to exist, and people pay to see/be part of them. Capitalism at it's finest - I have no problem with that at all. Be my guest. But, there does some to be a double standard. There's no White History month, NAAWP, WHITE TV - the most vilified person in American at the moment seems to be the White Christian Man. And we are expected to be the minority in the next 25 years or so. Will we get minority status/benefits? doubtful and I'm not holding my breath.

All I ask is that EVERYONE, regardless of race, identify themselves as AMERICAN's first, then race second. I don't say I'm an Irish/Scotch (Norman), or white American, I say I'm an AMERICAN. Alot of people in this country place their race/creed/ancestry BEFORE being an American (quite differently than our greatest generation - they knew what opportunity being a US citizen was). I'm not saying don't be proud of your roots, but assimilate and be an AMERICAN FIRST.

Citizens of color (that's EVERY color) have been part of an the success of this country for a long time. No reason why we can't celebrate that.

yea, good points. I guess a lot of those were initiated when times were very different in this country but times have since changed.

BET is a money maker and actually owned by viacom whos share holders are mostly white so go figure. since times have changed for the better for minorities seperating themselves from others doesnt help them from changing racist peoples views that look at is as tho they want to be seperate from whites.

Well said!

All I ask is that EVERYONE, regardless of race, identify themselves as AMERICAN's first, then race second. I don't say I'm an Irish/Scotch (Norman), or white American, I say I'm an AMERICAN. Alot of people in this country place their race/creed/ancestry BEFORE being an American (quite differently than our greatest generation - they knew what opportunity being a US citizen was). I'm not saying don't be proud of your roots, but assimilate and be an AMERICAN FIRST.

Citizens of color (that's EVERY color) have been part of an the success of this country for a long time. No reason why we can't celebrate that.
Good points, and I agree.
(Think that's twice this week I've agreed with you....has the earth shifted on its axis?):laugh:

Back