Bikers arrested for going 140!!!!

All of this being said, how much danger does a biker at 140 pose to a car at 80?

I believe the bike and rider would be destroyed while the car would just have a damaged trunk and rear bumper.

If the bike was sideswiped while passing a merging car, the bike would be flung off the road and destroyed while the car would have almost no damage.

I see repetitive statements about all the danger these bikers caused to other motorists, but did they pose a physical danger to anyone but other bikers? Furthermore, how many bikes have collided with other bikes on the interstate when not in a group ride event?

Here's my take:
They were stupid for doing it in a group and on a public highway.
Nothing mentioned any construction or pedestrian work zones and so I don't have anything personal against any of them for going that fast on the interstate.

I say give them a civil fine and maybe an impound for putting their own asses in danger, not waste tax money to lock them all up in a damn jail.
the problem is not always the bike itself... there are reactions that drivers make when passed like that, they can inadvertently brake, swerve or any other number of things.. Most drivers are acutely unaware of what is going on behind them and may have some kind of "knee jerk" reaction when scared by the passing bikes.. On top of that, some riders will "thread the needle" causing 4 wheelers to swerve as well (seen this happen before)..

again it just boils down to a time and place for everything.. a busy interstate is not IMO either one...

the problem is not always the bike itself... there are reactions that drivers make when passed like that, they can inadvertently brake, swerve or any other number of things.. Most drivers are acutely unaware of what is going on behind them and may have some kind of "knee jerk" reaction when scared by the passing bikes.. On top of that, some riders will "thread the needle" causing 4 wheelers to swerve as well (seen this happen before)..

again it just boils down to a time and place for everything.. a busy interstate is not IMO either one...

+1000 and there may be more than two vehicles involved in an accident on a busy highway :poke:

I'm in the Air Force and all the motorcyclists in our unit got an email of this incident sent to them. I'm not too familiar with the area but I figured there must have a good amount of traffic on the road. My email said they were not members of the pace setters club but were heading to on of their events.

As far as the comments go as what a motorcycle will do to a car hitting it going 70 mph faster... thinking the car will be ok is a bit naive imo.

I am by far not a saint while riding my motorcyle but I don't like speeding around other motorists. I don't feal it is fair to them or their families, they don't percieve you as traveling 2 to 3 times the speed limit when making their decisions.
It's too bad these guys made a bad decision and im sure the repercussions will be severe for the military members.

There nuts for riding like that, for that long on a public highway in a high traffic area.

Here is my profound statement- everyone one is right. There are some of us that been there done that and realize it is better to manage the speed or simply pull over when required b/c the outcome could be unfavorable. There are some that simply enjoy the ride for the enjoyment and fun. Then, there are those that have total disregard and the school of hard knocks is the best teacher, because "it will never happen to me". I was once riding with other riders who had passengers. We were traveling a little faster than posted speed:whistle: I immediately began to slow down with the hopes of slowing then down because of all the lives at stake. Nowadays when things go wrong, we are held accountable for others mistake!
So my point is, it depends on the maturity and experience of the riders that tend to make good and bad decisions, or that would agree with what happened. Riding is like freedom, a priviledge. Abuse it, you lose it.

I agree, I don't need people reinforcing the stereotype of crotchrockets on the highways. my insurance is too high now and this will only add more :rulez: and restrictions in the future. not the kind of publicity we need. if they had not been speeding nothing would have been written about 12 bikers riding to a benefit in a group.
You're right, I did a group ride to benefit a special needs school, never heard or seen anything about it. But if we were caught running 150 mph on the highway you can bet it would have been on the news.:guns:

Was on a group ride one time and for the most part, kept up with the crazy bastids. After a while, I went back to look for my buddy and then the two of us were unable to find the group again. Later, we learned that they had been doing wheelies in the middle of the city and a cop chased 'em down. One of them crashed, because the skills for wheelies is not the same as the skills for controlling the bike in high speed turns. Some of the others stopped for their downed buddy and the rest bailed. ALL of them did some time. My buddy and I were dang glad to have gotten separated from this group and we haven't been on a ride with them since.

On the other hand, I do have a track record of which I'm not too proud.

--Wag--

I lived in this area for 3 years and I never found an organized groupd of sport bike owners that I could ride with. They always wanted to run over a hundred down I-10 it happens every weekend. Good on the troopers for getting these jerks, There is a huge popuation of sport bike owners in this area that give the rest of us a bad name. Proably 75% of the retarted U-tube vids come from the gulf coast. I am willing to bet there was at least one without a helmet. sorry for the rant

If the other drivers skid and don't know how to control their vehicles while avoiding obstacles, I've got no sympathy for them if they crash. Part of the problem in America is lack of driver training. At least 50% of accidents are avoidable and speeding on the highway is inevitable until a high speed highway system is setup to fully utilize the capabilities of modern vehicles.

Discuss, lol

i was in florida coming from texas 2 yrs ago and there was a group of us. the lead bike was clocked at 112. the trooper was going to haul us all in and a lawyer in the group
stepped up and identified himself as an attorney and would like to see the calibration and or video of all 17 bikes. the trooper could not produce it, he used a little more legal jargon, and turns out only the lead bike got the tickets 800.00 ( which we all chipped in to cover). moral of the story.. a good lawyer will get em all off. :whistle:

Back