State trooper killed

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
Attached article from upstate New York paper--a State Trooper was killed while chasing a bike. I feel bad for the trooper and his family. I have a lot of friends who are cops (some bike riders) and they're just regular working stiffs like all of us who have a job to do. Unfortunately for us here in upstate NY--this biker will give some people more reasons to hate us!

http://www.syracuse.com/news....&coll=1

I feel bad for the family and the guy; however as a police academy instructor, the first question that comes to mind is, "Why was he in a pursuit of a motorcycle while driving an SUV".  Not trying to be heartless or cold and I am not blaming him, just asking the question.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145964822 -->

That really sucks..... Your right this will effect all of us and my prayers go out to the Trooper and his family.

I guess i'll add my 2 cents.... Why would anyone give chase in an SUV... He could have radioed ahead and give discription of the bike.
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145965011 -->

I would have just let the motorcycle go. Some things just are worth loosing your life.

<!--EDIT|Cuffee
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145969760 -->

Dam...sad news
sad.gif
Condolences to his family and friends.

Really sad. condolences to his family. I have a bunch of friends in law enforcement and they hardly ever give chase unless the situation is ideal... They usually radio ahead and follow as fast as they safely can and hope the Biker doesn't kill themselves or someone else...

sucks... but yea he should know better than to chase a bike in an suv. must be a newbie cop trying to prove a point. RIP

Sad read....and his wife is expecting too.
sad.gif

I thought maybe the officer's age has something to do w/ it. My best friend is a sherrif and I have seen him mature (33 yrs old now) over the years. In his earlier years (early 20's) his motto was "if you run from me, you'll go to jail tired" because he'd chase you down personally. Now, he uses the assets of being a sherrif...his radio and his co-workers.

Sad indeed. I agree with him calling ahead, however lets not forget that who ever that rider is should shoulder some of the blame. It is sad all around. Who is to say if the sheriff had been in sports car (camaro, etc) that the fleeing rider could have been the one killed, that would have been sad also.

25 and expecting is not the way to go out.

<!--EDIT|Southside Playa
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1145971419 -->

Yeah, that's sad. Prayers out for him and his family. And maybe he was chasing the bike because ... that's his job?

Yeah, that's sad. Prayers out for him and his family. And maybe he was chasing the bike because ... that's his job?
There's conflicting opinions about high-speed pursuits. They can/do result in participants and innocent bystanders being killed and injured, and property being destroyed, because the individual running from the police becomes more focused on getting away than on their surroundings. There's also the possibility of the police officer losing control of his vehicle (as happened in this case) and ploughing into someone.

Yes, it may be his job to apprehend the bad guys, but he could have coordinated a roadblock etc. without trying to drive his Tahoe like a sports car, which it obviously isn't. At that point he was being as irresponsible as the biker he was chasing. He's supposed to protect and serve the community.

The question becomes, is it worth killing yourself, the criminal, or a bystander for the sake of a speeding ticket? We had a persistant bike speeder in our neighborhood, the cops observed him and figured out where he worked and arrested him there, no need for a pursuit. Net result the same, he pays a fine and loses his license for a while.

I'm in favor of police visibility. Instead of being stealthy to catch speeders or engaging in high speed pursuits in residential/built up areas, make it obvious you're out there and nobody will exceed the limit (unless they're a loony.) Prevention is just as effective. Concealed speed traps are often set up where it's relatively easy for the cop to snag you, so they become an instrument for raising revenue for local government, and not an exercise in saving lives or making a road safer (because you're already driving "too fast" when you're caught.)

This proves running is bad any way you look at it. Runner may die or kill someone. Chaser could end with same results, In this case he dies leaving a young family devastated. Just because some person did not want a ticket. You don't want one, slow down.
sad.gif

Heres the way I see it,he shouldnt have chased the guy,endangered more than just the cop and biker,he rolled the dice,when he could have maybe waited for another day to maybe catch the biker at the gas pumps or the local convenience store and then placed him under arrest.Anyway,now there is a family mourning when it could have been avoided,Why? because of a stupid squid,and a cop with a pention for excitement and the thrill of the chase (adrenalin).Florida has a no-chase law because of this very thing,here where I am,they have a no-chase rule that is STRICTKLY enforced for this very same reason.NJ.

Very sad and troubling especially w/ an expecting wife. But he used poor judgement (no radio coordination-afawk, SUV at 100mph+!!!
rock.gif
).

The motorcyclist was probably turning it on during an open stretch of road and probably would have come back down to speeds soon-don't know the route but still illegal. We all know how fast you can get to 100mph - it's nothing in the Busa world. The chase prompted the cyclist to continue to run at higher speeds endagering others but himself mostly.

I'm sure this case will be used by the NY state troopers as what not to try and do in this situation. The trooper could have lost control and ran into the gas station a little further down the street. It's a shame when avoidable instances like this happen.

Back