NEW LAW

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
Just passed-- A new law which changes the current classification for fleeing from a police officer from a violation to either a felony or a misdemeanor. In April, a NYS Police officer was killed while chasing a motorcyclist at more than 100 MPH. The law was named after the officer--Trooper Craig Todeschini, who was 25 YO. His police vechile hit a tree in a rural part of the state while he was chasing the motorcycle.

Guess this is just another good reason for NOT running from the police here in New York State!

If I get caught speeding, I'll pull over and take whats coming to me.

Just a side note, in New York City the cops dont chase bikes except Hardleys (they are slow) I dont know if their not allowed to or they dont want to. I have passed cops doing better then 120 and all I got was a flash and whoop never came after me, but I would have stopped if I wasnt only in 3rd gear-lol

If I get the lights, I'm pulling over.   Don't a ticket, but I don't want to go to jail for running.  Always good to have the extra protection of a radar detector.

JUST DON'T GET CAUGHT
crazy.gif

(ranman @ Dec. 25 2006,09:48) here it is a felony, thats why i will stop
+1 here. Felony evading. Never been stopped but if they light me up I will

(05BusaLe @ Dec. 25 2006,11:05) Just a side note, in New York City the cops dont chase bikes except Hardleys (they are slow) I dont know if their not allowed to or they dont want to. I have passed cops doing better then 120 and all I got was a flash and whoop never came after me, but I would have stopped if I wasnt only in 3rd gear-lol
wish this were true but im sure that they do
mad.gif

No chase ordinance in Dallas. Officer was suspended recently for chasing a bike. The bike crashed, rider and passenger died. Officer reported he was just following at a safe distance to keep an eye on the bike for as long as he could. Although, upon review of the computer system and camera in car the officer was doing speeds in excess of 110mph with lights on. He will soon be looking for a job. He and the city are facing a civil suit. City of Dallas decided to dangerous for everyone involved to chase bikes because bikes only go faster and the margin of error gets smaller. So they passed a no chage ordinance. The can only chase bikes if rider has committed felony.

You wont catch me running, I don't want potential loss of life on my hands.

i dont know if they have a no chase ordinance in houston but i have been in a couple of chases and they never did turn their lights on but they did chase. also it is a felony to evade in a motor vehicle but a misdemeaner if you are on foot.

I don't think it's fair to blame the biker for the officer's death. It sucks, but the officer CHOSE to drive at speeds of over 100 MPH in a car that wasn't meant to go nearly as fast as a sport bike... Sure the biker was doing something illegal, but If I was a cop I wouldnt risk my life to catch a speeding bike... Like Carlos Mencia would say, "dee-dee-dee"

If i know that i can speed up and hide to get away from some BS ticket i will. I'm not talking about a 180mph highway getaway. Merely a speed up to hit the first exit deal. I can't see getting a ticket for an 80 in a 65, that's BS.

(GMbusa @ Dec. 26 2006,19:31) I can't see getting a ticket for an 80 in a 65, that's BS.
How so?

As far as running goes, in Wa it's a felony to run. Sad that Texas has a no chase law, I'm willing to bet that is why the driver took off with the passenger on the back. He was expecting the officer not to chase. I'll never understand how lawmakers can justify these types of rules...it's kinda commen sense to realize that if the perp knows that they can run and get away with it...that they'll probably run every chance they get.

(BigmanZ @ Dec. 26 2006,20:19)
(GMbusa @ Dec. 26 2006,19:31) I can't see getting a ticket for an 80 in a 65, that's BS.
How so?

As far as running goes, in Wa it's a felony to run. Sad that Texas has a no chase law, I'm willing to bet that is why the driver took off with the passenger on the back. He was expecting the officer not to chase. I'll never understand how lawmakers can justify these types of rules...it's kinda commen sense to realize that if the perp knows that they can run and get away with it...that they'll probably run every chance they get.
+1

You're right. The honest people will stop (yes, honest people make mistakes), but a criminal will run every time if they know that a city has a no chase policy. That goes for bikes and cars.

Back