Bike wouldn't start

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I had been riding the 2002 busa for about an hour mostly on the freeway on a hot day.  Shut it down for about 5 minutes, then tried to start it.  Starter would only turn once or not at all.  I'm aware of the starter problem with 2002's where the compression forces the starter backwards and then things get real nasty.  So I'm listening intently for any odd noises when I try to start.  Nothing but the starter trying to turn for half a sec, then it just stops and gives up.  Tried about 10 times to start with starter giving a minute or so inbetween start attempts.  Finally I get someone to push me(had an important meeting to get to) and I pop the clutch in 2nd and the busa starts right up.  Later(after the meeting) I used the starter and it worked fine(never heard any unusual noises, just the starter trying to turn).  This has happened more than once, always after the bike and been shut down for only a couple minutes.  I think the compression got built up too high, the engine was still too hot(hot afternoon) so the cyclinder seals are still sealing mainting the high compression inside, so the starter is too weak to overcome the pressure.  After enough time the engine cools, the seals unseal, and the starter works great.
Do you guys think my theory is accurate?
Comments/suggestions??
How long do you give my starter until it explodes??
(had the bike 2 yrs, its done this off and on, maybe 6 times total)

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091941001 -->

Also, my bike runs hotter than other Busas I've riddin with. Not too hot, but its always a little hotter on the guage. Only time it overheated was at Daytona Bike week after an hour in 2mph traffic.

Charlesbusa Posted on Aug. 08 2004,05:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, my bike runs hotter than other Busas I've riddin with. Not too hot, but its always a little hotter on the guage. Only time it overheated was at Daytona Bike week after an hour in 2mph traffic. [/QUOTE]

I never had a problem with over heating while usingIce blue.

bump.gif

I have a friend that has a 2001 busa and his starter started acting up in Myrtle beach. got to the point where we would have to push him off. then one day the starter wouldn't turn at first and then it did, but when he came back he had a hole through his motor. from where the gear kicked back and went through the motor.
wow.gif

there is no such a thing calld that the engine will build compression after you shut the engine off.
how hot your engine is getting when this problem happens?
yes 2002 they have starter problems but don't forget a weak battery will cause that same problem. i would suggest you check your battery first.
& if you have extended warrenty on your bike, they should replace the starter parts too with the update design.

I would have your mechanic check it out.  It might just be your battery but if your starter is starting to fail it is going to get ugly quick. Just ask Jester.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092629127 -->

there is no such a thing calld that the engine will build compression after you shut the engine off.
I didn't mean to say that compression builds with the engine off
rock.gif
? Just that with hot seals/gaskets the compression remains too high for the starter to rotate it. Once those seals/gaskets cool, the pressures decrease and thats why the vast majority of the time it starts with no problem. Does this sound correct?

Back