Starting Noise issues

Steve_uk

Registered
Hi everyone AGAIN :bowdown:lol, after a few months of trouble-free riding as we have had a few weeks of mighty fine weather, my 2002 bike has started playing up, although I have a good idea as to what the problem is in part, I would like to ask if another issue is normal if the first problem could be the cause as well.
Recently, I have had starter clutch issues, I know all the signs of it failing, sometimes starting, sometimes just spinning and whirling, so pretty much have sussed that out, anyhoo, to the other issue, sometimes when I get the starter turning, to be able to start bike (eventually) it makes a god awful noise, like the engine is falling apart and banging and clunking while the starter is engaging, can’t explain it any better apart from recording the noise, would this be down to the starter clutch bearing slipping and then engaging? I will add, it makes the horrible clunking banging noise as it tries to start. I haven’t at the moment examined it yet to see if the cog on the starter clutch is damaged, or that it’s just the starter clutch bearing, just want clarification on the noise, as it is somewhat annoying and worrying, and it’s getting harder to start (ignite start) all the time, almost to the point it almost flattens the battery. I am not looking for answers on the starter or battery (these are fine, as battery is always fully charged and starter spins as it should) just the accompanying noise...any ideas? thanks peeps

the only chance could be a video that shows / catches the noise ur busa makes when ur issue can be heard
best idea i guess would be to try to catch the noise with ripped off rh side fairing.

sorry but ur desription alone is, i guess, only something for the one who has THE "glass bowl" ;)

noises (horrible clunking banging) MUST be heard directely at the bike/engine when it happens - otherwise ... :(

Hi, the noises may very well be caused by the starter clutch rollers gripping and letting go (failing) so it probably is related to the SC. . BUT as Berlin said, it needs to be heard to be accurately diagnosed.
Try to make a short youtube clip and post the link up here to the YT clip so we can hear it.

Why not just remove the stator cover and flywheel and check it?
If the starter clutch comes apart, it can damage the case.
Not really worth the gamble to keeping riding it that way, especially since it's been happening for a while now.
The old, ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.

the only chance could be a video that shows / catches the noise ur busa makes when ur issue can be heard
best idea i guess would be to try to catch the noise with ripped off rh side fairing.

sorry but ur desription alone is, i guess, only something for the one who has THE "glass bowl" ;)

noises (horrible clunking banging) MUST be heard directely at the bike/engine when it happens - otherwise ... :(
The good ole christal ball....i wish i had one lol

Why not just remove the stator cover and flywheel and check it?
If the starter clutch comes apart, it can damage the case.
Not really worth the gamble to keeping riding it that way, especially since it's been happening for a while now.
The old, ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.
I am this weekend, the only problem i have is 90% of starter clutches are in the USA lol, you lot hording them or something?

Hi, the noises may very well be caused by the starter clutch rollers gripping and letting go (failing) so it probably is related to the SC. . BUT as Berlin said, it needs to be heard to be accurately diagnosed.
Try to make a short youtube clip and post the link up here to the YT clip so we can hear it.
Thanks Kiwi, thats what i thought it could be, I am checking it out this weekend anyway, need to see state of starter clutch in its full glory before I start crying again lol....

Back