figured out my starting issue, will a newer clutch fit my 01?

AZIROC

Registered
So I've been chasing a starting issue for a while. Thought it was a starter but it's fine. Rectifier was shot and replaced it but still an issue. Battery is brand new. Had the bike torn down so I pulled the starter clutch... yeah. It's beyond gone. My bike is an 01 and I know this is one of the years that have starter clutch issues. I'm not changing the whole system out so I'm wondering what year "used" starter clutches will fit. I've found 04 and 05's but haven't found any 2001s. Will an 05 fit or would I have to change out the whole thing and have to look for la clutch from an 01?

I'm not much help so here is a bump to the top for you. Although, I recall it was a 2003 for the starter clutch and I believe they are workable in the 01'. Wish I could give you a rock solid answer but memory is shot.:laugh:

if i am correct any gen 1 should do it...but heck i may be wrong.

Pretty sure 99-07 will work on it. However if it were an 06-07 the older stuff won't work on them. The newer have a double wide spline that keep the older from fitting the newer. But newer will fit older.

99 to 01 are the same, 02 is different, then 03 and up to 07 are the same!

So the answer is different. Not totally sure if it will work or not.

Install was simple. Didnt use the special tool. just an air gun. The clutch I got was a newer onee (has the notch in it). but i just swapped the new clutch with the factory ('01) gear and put it back together. fired it up 3 times before i buttoned it up and it fired each time. put it back together and started it 10 times in a row and not 1 hick-up. now to go out and ride.

Back