New Starter Clutch to my 2003 Busa

mwgw

Registered
Hi

My starter clutch is worn out, it screams at every start attempt. When I look at new clutches I have seen that the part numbers are different between model years 2003 (which is my model) and 2005 and the 2007 model.

Question 1 - is the later starting clutches improvements of the the 2003 model?
2 - Fits the 2007 starter clutch on a 2003 Hayabus & if it does
that do I win anything on that upgrade

:dunno: I'd just go with a direct replacement. I doubt there is THAT much of a difference from 99-07 and especially 02-07

I take it back. The 01 and 02 are not interchangeable for the 03-07. The only one that will work is the 01 or 02 unless you mod the inside of the case a little and use ALL the parts for the starter system from an 03 or later

Ok, then should a starter clutch from the 2007 fit on my 2003 years model. But one question remains, is the 2007 better than the 2003 model.

PM gixerhp for a second opinion. mlsduke1 is probably dead on in his later post but get that second opinion before you order. John knows his stuff.

what modding of the case is required? I have swapped starter clutches all around and upside down 99-07. Only issue I have had is the 07s I know for sure have a slot for a doublewide spine on the crank,which you can use an older one on if you die grind one of the spines out. I have never had to mod the cases.
I take it back. The 01 and 02 are not interchangeable for the 03-07. The only one that will work is the 01 or 02 unless you mod the inside of the case a little and use ALL the parts for the starter system from an 03 or later

Back