02 Busa Starting Issues

Scotty B

Registered
Hey Guys,

I had my 2002 Busa transmission re-built just last week which involved replacing the 2nd gear and shifting fork. The bike shifts fine, but having issues w/it starting. Starts right up 3-4 times, but around the 4 or 5th time of trying to start it, it won't turn over. The starter doesn't make any kind of noise and the lights flash and the starter motor seems like the motor won't allow it to start. Here's what I tried:

Replaced the old battery w/a new one.
Had the started torn apart to check inners/brushes, etc, tested (put a load on it) and put back in. However, it's still not starting regardless on the 4th or 5th time. Plenty of charge in the battery and the stator and rectifier seem to be allowing it to charge as per the volt meter.
Spun the motor and checked for vapor lock, etc...
Checked fuses...
Any other ideas?

Thanks, Scott

Hey Guys,

I had my 2002 Busa transmission re-built just last week which involved replacing the 2nd gear and shifting fork. The bike shifts fine, but having issues w/it starting. Starts right up 3-4 times, but around the 4 or 5th time of trying to start it, it won't turn over. The starter doesn't make any kind of noise and the lights flash and the starter motor seems like the motor won't allow it to start. Here's what I tried:

Replaced the old battery w/a new one.
Had the started torn apart to check inners/brushes, etc, tested (put a load on it) and put back in. However, it's still not starting regardless on the 4th or 5th time. Plenty of charge in the battery and the stator and rectifier seem to be allowing it to charge as per the volt meter.
Spun the motor and checked for vapor lock, etc...
Checked fuses...
Any other ideas?

Thanks, Scott

Pull the starter clutch and idler gear and make sure the washers are in the right spots and everything was installed correctly . . .

Pull the starter clutch and idler gear and make sure the washers are in the right spots and everything was installed correctly . . .
Thank u for the quick response, I'll try that 2morrow. Weird how it starts fine for 3 or 4 times then on the 5th time nothing, no movement or sound.

Back