2013 Won't start

2013BusaSmoke

Registered
Took a ride then came home to wash it. Then as I tried to start it back up to take in the garage it won't start. As I push start button it makes an electrical static type screech noise. I'm hoping it's not a bad starter. The battery is fully charged so any ideas on what my problem is?

Welcome to the forum @06BusaSmoke. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be around to advise but I can take some guesses.

Clean and dry the kickstand safety switch.

Did you get the handlebars wet, where the clutch safety switch, starter switch, or kill switch may have gotten wet? Open / clean / dry affected switches.

Are there any wiring modifications or accessories added onto this bike? Has the bike had any damage?

Welcome to the forum @06BusaSmoke. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be around to advise but I can take some guesses.

Clean and dry the kickstand safety switch.

Did you get the handlebars wet, where the clutch safety switch, starter switch, or kill switch may have gotten wet? Open / clean / dry affected switches.

Are there any wiring modifications or accessories added onto this bike? Has the bike had any damage?
Yes I did get everything wet but that's how I've always washed the bike. I didn't know I was suppose to keep certain areas dry when washing. It's been sitting in the hot garage almost 24hrs so when I get home I'll attempt to start it again. Hopefully it'll start up and if not I'll check the spots you mentioned.

I was trying to post a video so it would help better with my problem. Seeing and hearing the issue would be the best description. Is it possible to post a video on here? I tried but it says it's too large. Maybe I'll try again and shrink it down.

I was trying to post a video so it would help better with my problem.

You must upload the video to YouTube or other various external sites, and can only post the url here. Click the 3 dots and then the MEDIA button and it will show you the options for linking to video sites.

You can try tracking down the sound but if it is still happening, try not to make it happen for long before diving in. If it is a high power short, that can be damaging.

Yes I did get everything wet but that's how I've always washed the bike. I didn't know I was suppose to keep certain areas dry when washing.

This is one of those things where age takes a toll. When a bike is brand new, the connections are sealed with grease from the factory, the switch casings have a perfect seal, and the fairings seal tightly. Then, a massive downpour might not (MIGHT not) cause an issue. However, a few years down the road, the connections have loosened from the vibration of the engine and the road, dielectric grease has dried up and is not protecting the electrical connections, and connections are corroding merely from moisture. Something may then be shorted from a drop of water.

If this bike has not had it done, the connections throughout the bike need to be pulled apart, inspected, cleaned of dirt and corrosion, and put together surely. That will protect them, and prevent you from getting stranded for the next so many years or miles.

Regarding washing, members here have been providing their techniques. Because of the risks some will not even put a hose to their bike but instead thoroughly wet cloths, soak the fairings with them, and merely wipe the exterior clean. Knowing the risks, each owner develops their own level of protection.

Yes I did get everything wet but that's how I've always washed the bike. I didn't know I was suppose to keep certain areas dry when washing. It's been sitting in the hot garage almost 24hrs so when I get home I'll attempt to start it again. Hopefully it'll start up and if not I'll check the spots you mentioned.

I was trying to post a video so it would help better with my problem. Seeing and hearing the issue would be the best description. Is it possible to post a video on here? I tried but it says it's too large. Maybe I'll try again and shrink it down.

I'm hoping it was the starter solenoid. The sound was coming from that so I ordered a replacement. If not I'll try what you said. Thx alot!

It was hard to tell, its sounded like gear chatter when a starter barely makes contact with a flywheel or when engaging a PTO on a tractor.

But if you heard it from the solenoid itself its probably partially engaging so its making that weird chatter. Water may have gotten inside it. Its posible it might fix itself when its dry.

Jump the solenoid to bypass it. If the starter turns, its the likely the wet or ruined solenoid.

Back