2002 'Busa won't start

Sean298

Registered
In a heated garage with a fully charged battery, even tried jumping with a car battery. Gas is was filled before storage as well.

The gauges self test and the fuel pump primes, everything seems normal but the bike cranks very slowly and won't start. Before it was stored, it started up with no problem.

Part of me thinks its the somewhat cold garage making it have problems but that doesn't make any sense as my dads gen2 starts right up no problem.

It sounds exactly like this at about the 30 second mark.
start, 2002 Hayabusa 8k miles. New battery - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not my bike or my video, ive tried jumping it with a fully charged car battery and it did the same thing.

your prolly not getting adequate connection with your jumper battery. try a known good battery from another bike.
Thats not my bike or my video, ive tried jumping it with a fully charged car battery and it did the same thing.

Sounds like the engine is fighting compression. I would pull the side cover for the crank and turn it over manually. I bet you it won't turn easily. If it is tough, I would then pull the valve covers to make sure that the valves are acting as they should. It sounds to me like they are never opening and causing excessive compression that you are interpreting as an electrical issue. Maybe the cam chain snapped or your bolts backed out of your cam holders. . .

Sounds like the engine is fighting compression. I would pull the side cover for the crank and turn it over manually. I bet you it won't turn easily. If it is tough, I would then pull the valve covers to make sure that the valves are acting as they should. It sounds to me like they are never opening and causing excessive compression that you are interpreting as an electrical issue. Maybe the cam chain snapped or your bolts backed out of your cam holders. . .
Not a mechanic or expert but if the cam chain snapped wouldn't the bike turn over super fast but fail to start ?

It's really funny because I also am having the exact same issue as both of you guys. My Busa was fine until it got a little cold inside my garage now it won't start. I just replaced the rectifier and still the same issue.

It would sound really funny because your cam wouldnt spin in relation to the crank and as a result, a few cylinders will have full compression because the valves never open and some would have no compression because the valves are stuck open...

I doubt it's an issue with the engine itself. Sounds like electrical problem - bad battery ground wire or maybe corrosion off the starter lead. If the battery is good, rectifier recall has been done, and everything else sounds normal but the starter is cranking slow -bad starter or find the bad wire. Don't count out two problems at the same time - water in the fuel or bad fuel and electrical issues...

didnt do it till cold garage is your answer. You have a battery that has bit the dust. Doesnt matter if you use a good car battery to jump it with....a bad cor in the batt kills the proper connection will allow juice to flow but not the amps needed to do the job....As was stated above have the battery load tested....replace it.

didnt do it till cold garage is your answer. You have a battery that has bit the dust. Doesnt matter if you use a good car battery to jump it with....a bad cor in the batt kills the proper connection will allow juice to flow but not the amps needed to do the job....As was stated above have the battery load tested....replace it.
We have a few electrical engineers that hang around, but I was thinking when you put jumper cables from another battery on, the batteries are connected in parallel and therefore the other battery wouldn't have that kind of impact :dunno:

Maybe time to put that puppy in second gear down a long hill and see if it fires. Of course have a plan for getting the bike back to the garage :laugh:

I never have had a problem, but have seen a lot of guys having trouble with jumper cables lately. Cheap, small wire cables don't work well, old cables with issues are a no no, and a poor connection anywhere will do you in.

If you hook a good battery to a bad battery with a bad cell in it what happens? Nothing. It wont charge it will actually draw the good batt down and can destroy the good battery as well. Look at a bad cell in a battery a a short so to speak. Voltage can and may get across it but it will not pull the amps. No electrical engineer required for this one. Though have been a first grade engineer for 22 years.

Not true what the 22 year engineer said. I dont have to prove my mechanical ability to anyone, but i'm more than certified. Even if a battery has a dead cell, the car battery should still turn it over... My proof? You can still jump a car with a dead battery or dead cell with the same size battery. Ive done it plenty of times. If you still have doubts, just run the car battery directly to the starter and engine case. Leave ur other battery hooked up to power the ecm tho... i simply suggested pulling the valve cover to see what u can see. It costs nothing to do that and u can adjust your valves while you are in there. Anyways if you hook the battery directly to the starter, it will eliminate all other electronics aside from the starter. Let us know what happens when you try that...

I have been a mechanic for 25 years. I have seen on numerous occasions where a car with a bad battery would not jump off. On these same occasions you could disconnect the bad battery and then a jumper box or a jump would start the vehicle.
Not true what the 22 year engineer said. I dont have to prove my mechanical ability to anyone, but i'm more than certified. Even if a battery has a dead cell, the car battery should still turn it over... My proof? You can still jump a car with a dead battery or dead cell with the same size battery. Ive done it plenty of times. If you still have doubts, just run the car battery directly to the starter and engine case. Leave ur other battery hooked up to power the ecm tho... i simply suggested pulling the valve cover to see what u can see. It costs nothing to do that and u can adjust your valves while you are in there. Anyways if you hook the battery directly to the starter, it will eliminate all other electronics aside from the starter. Let us know what happens when you try that...

Im not saying it will do it every time, but i said plenty of times it will start up just fine. Thr battery cant be as dead as u seem to think it is because it mostly turns the engine over, so the jump should definitely work if the problem is the battery...

sounds like my bike, checking all the connectors notice one was disconnected I followed it and leads into the stator don't know how it unplugged (chock one up for the gremlins) so I connected even wrapped it up with tape took about 3-4 time finally fired up even when I was cranking it the tone change to a lower tone don't know if your came undone but won't hurt to check.

Back