Bike is acting funny...

The stop/kill switch are known to fail for some reason. Never kill the engine that way. Only with the key and you safeguard that possibility.

Kill switches suck Mine has went on me on 2 busa's now . I NEVER use them to stop my bike but someone at the bike show pushed it and now I have to get it fixed . Went to leave the bike show and nothing . Does your fuel pump run when you turn your key ? If so then it might be the kickstand switch.

Hey guys... I am going to give my wife my log-in stuff and she will be able to talk it up with you all. I went through the check list with her. Kickstand, kill switch (I also don't use the kill switch to turn the bike off either), She runs it til the fan comes on for 2 cycles. and the battery is not on the tender at all times becuase the bike is in a enclosed trailer and she can't shut the door with the cord coming out of the side door. I didn't think to winterize the bike becuase my departure was kinda abrupt I think I had like 2 weeks to get everything locked on with the Marine Corp and if she was coming with me or not. I just figured as long as she runs it and keeps the battery charged it would be fine. I am getting it tuned and probably replace everything when I get home. A whole lot of TLC is needed. So, she is going to be on here shortly to ID herself and she has some motorcycle knowledge. I showed her some because she wants to have a bike someday. Thank you all in advanced.

Last edited:
hey everyone this is casualdreamers wife. I only know a few things about bikes so bare with me if it takes a min to explain things lol.

You should take a look at you battery. If, you battery is putting out 13.0v that's good, but you need to know how many amps. The amps are used to turn over the starter motor. Your starter motors pulls 80-90 amps from the battery. If, you have a load tester this is the best way to test for amp.

Christopher Powers

If we're sure the starting procedure is right. Next question as stated above - can you hear the fuel pump come on before you attempt to start. If yes when you hit the starter do you hear any sound? a click (selenoid) but the starter doesn't cycle/spin. If you get a click then its pretty safe to assume its probably a bad battery (low amperage) if the starter motor wasn't problematic previously. Regardless this is probably a relatively easy fix.

This may seem stupid but I did it myself earlier today. You need to have the clutch pulled even if the bike is in neutral. It took me three or four tries to realize why mine wouldn't start. Since I wasn't sitting on the bike and just wanted to warm it up I didn't even think about it since it was in neutral.

(casualdreamers wife) I held the clutch in, made sure it was in nuetral, kickstand down, kill switch where its supposed to be, and pressed the starter button. lights came on and sounded like it was trying to turn over and then everything goes black and cuts out.

Based on what your saying - I almost positive the battery is shot. Try or have someone try a know good battery and/or bring it to a local auto shop and have it tested under load.

Last edited:
(casualdreamers wife) I held the clutch in, made sure it was in nuetral, kickstand down, kill switch where its supposed to be, and pressed the starter button. lights came on and sounded like it was trying to turn over and then everything goes black and cuts out.

Key in the off position.
Loosen & remove two long Allen bolts on either side of seat.
Remove the seat.
Set on soft cozy thing. (seats have feelings too)
Remove the positive cable and negative with the reversible screwdriver from tool kit in the tail section.
WARNING - if accessing the tail section (hump or seat) be absolutely positive to PLACE and make mental/visual note that the key is separate from the area before locking back down! You don't want the headache of trying to retrieve that. Believe me.
Separate cables and lift out trashed battery
Order one of these Yuasa YTZ14S`s from a fine distributor - reverse process
YTZ14S1258873883.jpg

You guys are great she is going to get a new battery this week and try that. If that doesn't work we at a lost... :bowdown: Thanks you so much. She told me that the bike was acting up I was like great another thing to be worried about along with the deployment. I know we should only think about the things at hand but the mistress is my stress reliever. Things get heavy, I ride. Don't drink or smoke. So I was like no. Not this... I hope everything pans out thank you all for you help. Lets see if the new battery works when she gets it...:cheerleader:

Thanks to all for the help. It was the battery. It was shot. She puuurrrrssss like a kitten now. The help was really appreciated:bowdown:

Best to unhook the battery and leave it alone til your return. If she starts it once a week it will do the same thing. Put some stabil in the tank and leave it alone. Your wife could go talk to he every now and then so neither of them gets to missing ya too much....
And thanks for what you are doing for me and my family.

Back