bike taking longer to fire up.

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
so the bike is taking a little longer to fire up that she used to. '06 with 5800 miles, all scheduled services done.

could it be possible since she had a kick stand mod done and now she's raised an inch the tilt sensor is acting up? i tried starting her while on it and she fired up quicker. but i'll have to monitor this closer to know for sure.

i did mess with the twist knobs for the throttle right next to the grip, could that be it?

she's on a battery tender after every ride and the green 80% charged light always comes right on, then full charge shortly after.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

maybe change the spark plugs??? mine was getting slower to start and I changed them and it made alot of difference. hope ya figure it out.
smile.gif

any drop in fuel mileage? (usually the first sign of crappy plugs). I just turned 18K on stock plugs and also just started the sluggish starting issue.. Will change plugs first..

just started checking the mileage recently, so hard to tell from that. i got 36.8 yesterday through streets and highway riding. bike has a 4-1 micron, pcIII, and tre.

Mine, 06 with 17K started the same thing a while back. It would turn over 5 or 6 times before it fired. My idle had dropped to between 900 and 1K. When I raised it back up to 1200+ it started firing on 2nd or 3rd turn. Just 1 more thing to check.

Change your plugs if it's been awhile. I do mine every 6 months. Plugs are only good for so long.

On cold or hot starts. If cold, I would say choke it and allow the fuel pump to completely prime. If hot try changing the plugs or running hotter fuel for a while.

any drop in fuel mileage? (usually the first sign of crappy plugs). I just turned 18K on stock plugs and also just started the sluggish starting issue.. Will change plugs first..
laugh.gif

Shouldn't have said anything, you jinxed yourself...
whistling.gif

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=96866;hl=
sssssh! still starting just fine and I really do not feel like tearing anything apart
smile.gif
I have a set of plugs I won last season still sitting on the bench...

laugh.gif

Shouldn't have said anything, you jinxed yourself...
whistling.gif

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=96866;hl=
sssssh! still starting just fine and I really do not feel like tearing anything apart
smile.gif
I have a set of plugs I won last season still sitting on the bench...
laugh.gif
thumb_up.gif

I did mine last week when those NGK Iridiums came in. The change out was pretty easy, a lot easier than I expected !! The engine does seem a little more crisp now, and the exhaust smells better (it was starting to smell like it was running fat).. I never check my mileage so don't really know if it was going down..
smile.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

so today was my first ride since this thread. she took about 3 or 4 tries before she fired up, and almost sounded like a burp when she initially fired up. idle was smooth. all the power is there. i kept an eye on it and noticed even when warm she would take 2 tries to fire up instead of right away. i'm going to lift up the tank and check all connections...and i'll get new plugs tomorrow...

Yeah, the bike is too new to have fuel delivery problems. Plugs 'r' it!!!

(Most likely! )
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

so today was my first ride since this thread. she took about 3 or 4 tries before she fired up, and almost sounded like a burp when she initially fired up. idle was smooth. all the power is there. i kept an eye on it and noticed even when warm she would take 2 tries to fire up instead of right away. i'm going to lift up the tank and check all connections...and i'll get new plugs tomorrow...
Before you do aything,

unplug the PC III.

I guarantee you, it'll work much better.
A PC III thats mapped with one particular tank of gas will react differently to another tank.

91 octain, 93 octain, will make the PC do funny things. And by funny I mean lousy.

On my trip through New England a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know how my bike was going to act from one tank to another.
Finally, I lifted the tank and unplugged it.
After a couple of hundred miles and a few start ups, the reliable bike I've always had returned.
Now just a bump of the start button, lghtd her up every time.

Try it, really.

cool.gif

After getting the "New" 03 it didn't start as easily as my 99, a can of SEA FOAM and 2 tanks of Amoco premium and she fires right up.

i was thinkin' it could be bad gas... today i have the time to check things out...

Back