Best deal in technology

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I gotta tell ya I have been using VMware for several years but since they released ESXi for free and the virtual infrastructure client is free too how can you go wrong....

For those that need to consolidate a several servers into one go get your free copy of VMware ESXi

cap

Just make an ISO of the download... Install the ESXi on raw hardware, spend 10 minutes setting up your IP infomation, then go to another machine and use your browser and go to the server you just set up. You will download and install the infrastructure client from the ESXi server... You can then create as many VM's as your hardware will allow.

great solution.

We used VMware for years. M$ is really coming on strong though and VMware is already feeling the pain. VMware is also a client of ours but not sure how long they will last.

Windows server 2008 has Hyper-V built-in and it's better than VMware's solution for Microsoft shops. We just installed a new box with 64GB RAM and we're running 30 VMs on it and it never flinches. We scrapped VMware completely. Lots of other companies are going this route as well. It's good to have choices.

Not sure how the Hyper V is going to withstand the long haul... Microsoft is feeling some pressure right now with the screw up of Vista....

Fascinating I would like to learn more about this, but wayyy over my head!

Ok, let me as some stupid questions:

What if you wanted to VM a machine, let's say for a backup server and an email server on the same machine. both use same operating system. Does this mean you have to install the same operating systems twice? Patch/update twice? That would use up a bunch of disc space, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

Back