Been toying with this idea

ditchdr

Registered
Ok do I have had this idea in my head for the past year or 2.. I want to buy a large enclosed trailer, like 28ft or so.. A large tent, one with side walls and all, and go on the road to local bike events and offer on the spot service.. Nothing to indepth,, moatley oil change, trans and primary fluid changes, tires, minor repairs etc etc.. As well as sell and install accessories(sp).. Wont take in any work that cant be done in a hour..

Set up the tent, put 2 or 3 lifts under it and a tool boc.. of course i would need a tire machine as well as a ballance machine a genreator and a air comprssor.. Good news is I have everything but the trailer and genrator.. I have a buddy who said he would help out..

I think it might work,, what do you think?

If you are going to change tires, you will have to sell tires, how much inventory do you plan on having? Also, what will you do the other 9 months of the year?

Ron

yeah I will chane and sell tires as well. I will have oil, oil filters, tires, accessoires(sp), I dont plan on being there the einter rally, but maybe get there the last thursday of the rally untill that sunday. If things go how I want I will be working for the FD then and will only need to take 1 or 2 shifts off per rally.

Advertise localy aswell you could be on to something, lots of bike owners dont like the DIY approach as lots only know how to ride em, and a home service could be a good earner

Be sure to get insurance, now days everybody wants to retire early
argue.gif

I plan on doing that as well.. Once we get back on our feet money wise,, I will be going back into the bike business, I will start out of the 2 car garage and then move into a shop if need be.

I plan on doing that as well.. Once we get back on our feet money wise,, I will be going back into the bike business, I will start out of the 2 car garage and then move into a shop if need be.
That's a good idea Matt. These days the only financial security you have is in yourself. No matter how big the co. it could still go under and you loose your job.

Be sure to get insurance, now days everybody wants to retire early  
argue.gif
Yeah, My bike never did that before.
You used wrong oil.
You used wrong filter
You blew up my motor
It doesn't work
It isn't right
It shakes
It vibrates
It wobbles
It makes a noise
It It It It It It It ..........................

Oh no,, The bike shop will not be my only job ever again.. To many ups and downs.. Cool thing about fire and EMS is we work a 24 on 48 off schedule.. SO spend 2 days at the shop then 1 day at work. and so on

That should work well for you,for the last 2years I've done the same out of my garage on the side. Most bike shops are charging $65+ per hour. After word gets out that you do good work many are happy to pay half that and will tell others and come back even for little stuff. As the price of fuel goes up, the motorcycle will make a big come back. Best of luck, also check with Travelers Ins.
thumb_up.gif

Make the trailer a drive thru with a 3X8 pop up in the ceiling. Old oil will go into the storage tank tucked in between the frame rails under the trailer.. You still need A/C and a around a 6KW genset (or go with a gas powered air compressor and smaller genset)

Then put a big lexan window in the side of the trailer so you can watch the inventory and so guys can watch without going in the trailer (unless you do not mind customers in your immediate work area (yea right)

Carry your inventory in the trailer, display it under the "roll out" awning (no easyup or other free standing awning)

Need help?
smile.gif

just might need some help.. I will call the insurance company this week to see what kind of money i am looking at, as well as what all can get coverd

I had an idea like this a few years ago.. but just be a nitrous refill station. Small freezer, a generator, scale.... sell small NOS parts... etc.... and in a portable trailer.... can be anywhere I want it to be. Never happened though and someone opended up a permenant one at the track. (But it is still only open when the track is)

Good luck in whatever you decide!

see it in sturgis every year. Bikes are lined up constantly for oil changes and the like.

Sounds like a great idea. I ride all the way down to SC to a bike show. Drop mine off for an oil change while I walk around and look at the other bikes and shid. Come back fluids changed ready to ride. I would do that.

yeah, sounds good
beerchug.gif

I'd suggest making sure you have some way of "roping off" your spot at the shows, setting up customer parking and stuff so that you can provide service to more than one at a time sorta thing. I'd probably do an oil change at the show/event if I had riden in, heck look at the business Wheeler gets at the dragon just because he is there....now he's a hellova mechanic to boot but I swear he making a living selling tires and random (but consistant) parts for folks that wreck/tumble and then sells a ton of other random crap (shirts, light gear, stickers, stuff you could probably pack into a trailer very easily and have your wife/gf, buddy whatever sell for you while you work
cool.gif

Back