back surgery

Had2

Registered
hey guys, im due to have back surgery the first week in dec (fusing L5) also shaving down a bulge on the disk. Im curious for those of you that have had to go thru this or similar what can i expect from this procedure, in relief and healing process? I know what the doc says, but would like someones' input who has actually gone thru this. Also will it hinder day to day living after I'm healed up say 3 to 5 years down the road? And mainly how will it affect riding??? Right now I'm living on pain killers, but without it is next to impossible to function day to day and play with my little girls who at 2 and 5 don't understand why daddy cant bend down to pick them up and why the cant jump on my back and horse around. Any input would be much appreciated, positive or negative I just want some real world experience with this and what I can expect......

Prayers sent brother :please: Best of luck, everyone and every surgery is different, hopefully yours will go well. With technology you really shouldn't compare what someone had done a year ago, much less ten years ago.

Had some spinal sugery 7 years ago, went from barely being able to walk to playing golf again, was like being reborn. The pain aged me 10 years in a year and a half. Seems I broke my back in one of my Army adventures, had a couple bad breaks so cant pin point which incident but sure as hell the MRI showed it. L4 and L5 nerve channel had to be ground down, just started acting up again, went to doc last month, new MRI L5 is almost destroyed, my fault, been living life to fullest. Think I will need a fusing this time around. My advice is don't hesitate and get it done, you will feel 20 years younger. Amazing what they can do these days. Post op, pay attention to rehab PT you have to go through. You will be back up and running better than you have in many years if you are typical fusing candidate. Tell your old lady to get ready for a acrobatic banging.

Oh and good luck. Let us know how it go's.

I've had 3 buldging discs in my lower back, and 2 vertebret in my upper that slip since 09.
My discs are buldging up and down into my vertebret (not out the sides)as the bone has deteriated.
Surgeory has been postponed until if can no longer walk. My only option is holes drilled in the vertebret and a balloon inserted. Then a concrete like substance injected. Dr. has said it's a last resort and that there is no other fix.
My threshold for pain has been pushed past the limit and pain pills do not work(I'm allergic to morphine).
I've been down twice and literally could not get back up. I also have a little girl who's almost 2. Lifting her is, well, you know. Personally I put my faith in GOD and live life one day at a time.
I've been on bikes since I was 12(I'm 35 now). I injured my back a year after getting the busa. I've changed 5 seats, rearsets, and now have a Spiegler topclamp conversion. Much better, but not enough. Pain is a daily thing, but the lean to the bars is too much. I'm currently selling my busa to get a B-King instead, as it's more upright and personally much more comfortable. Although riding anything is uncomfortable. I've learned not to focus on the pain, and it does help some.
Sitting is uncomfortable in general.
The one thing that has literally remarkably changed my situation is a sleep number bed!
Had it for a year in September. The ability to change how soft or hard the bed is allowed me to finally sleep again. As all the pressure points where mattress springs push are now gone! I can lie down and it feels like I'm floating, almost instantly it's like someone is turning down the pain dial and I actually get some relife. Even lying down for 15 to 30 minutes makes me feel much better to go back to whatever I was doing.
I would definately recommend going to a sleep number store and trying one. They have a 60 day money back guarantee too. I WOULD NOT take anything for mine, really.
A good friend of mine is on his 5th back surgeory, and as most anyone who has had a back surgeory will tell you, it's never the same again.
Mr8ball here has also had back surgeory and can relate to you. I'm sure he'll be along.
I wish you well.:beerchug:

I ruptured a disk and herinated another in 95 (actually on a hard parachute opening). The 30 days that followed before surgery were the longest 30 days in my life; I would scream/cry driving to work it hurt so bad. There was NO comfort spot, no relieve in any position - laying down, sitting or standing. The moment I woke up from surgery my pain was GONE, and the subsequent post-surgery pain was inconsequential. I was walking less than 24 hours after surgery - they want you up and moving quickly. The pain medication helped. Physical therapy followed but it still never hurt like it did before the surgery. Depending on the severity of your injury and the state of your back once complete, if you do the PT as they order you'll be fine later.

Off and on the last 15 years I'll 'pull' something and take a few days to get over. Once about 3 years ago i messed it up pretty bad, and went thru another 30 days of pain before going back to see a surgeon. I did NOT want surgery because it will never be better than the last time they fixed it. I convinced him to try an epidural and Physical therapy. It hurt like hell but it worked and I think I'm better now than I was before. Sadly, I do not follow the PT like I should, and I think if I did it would be better for me in the long run. I try to be careful what and how I pick up heavy loads, but I still do it.

I hurt mine in 1985 and had a bulged disk. I fought it until 97 and had the disk trimmed off the nerve. It never got better. I was young and I was doing things you should not be doing I guess and it never healed. In 2001 all the fluid leaked out of the sack and I got bad bone spurs from that. In 2006 I had another surg. where they replaced a disk installed 6 screws and 2 plates to kinda fuze everything together. I have been through years and years of rehab and for me the pool therapy help me the most. I was on methadone, oxey and what ever I could get and got amuned to it all. Now here it is 27 years later and now I have another disk trying to come out over top of the plate that is there now. I have always been a very small man. I am 5'8 @ 160 lbs and it seems no matter what I do nothing helps. I like sixpack got the sleep number bed and I do sleep a little better. Of course I have to take pills to do that. I hate to have to take pill. I have only got to ride my bike once all summer and have been trying to sell it as well. Not trying to be a downer but I hardly ever here of any back trouble getting better. Maybe it was just my Dr's Have you checked into lazier surg? I think that is the way to go. My scar always tingles and with the lazier it is very small cut and you walk out that day. Just a thought. I am now thinking of trying some testosterone shots to see if I can get the energy to work out again to see if that helps. I do trust in God that one day I will be better and I really wish you the best. What every you decide take your time to heal and always be aware of you back what ever you do. Here is what mine looks like now :laugh:

EXP0369 Back screws.jpg

ive had my share of herniated discs but furtunately for me they have all repaired themselves or should I say my body has absorbed the material pushing on my spine causing misery:banghead: I battled it for about (3) years.

I have known (3) people at work that have had back surgey and all of them say if they could do it again they would have NEVER gotten back surgey. like the old saying goes the best back surgery is no back surgery.:whistle:

I know there are people that just cant function any longer without it but statistically that is only less then 5% of the population that have back problems. basically you have a 50/50 shot of it getting better or worse after back surgey. the reason most ppl say you should wait is because the technology to repair ones back for most ppl just isnt there yet and the longer you can wait the better chances you will have of something new and less invasive coming out that actually works.

I have only known (1) person in my entire life that has had back surgery that actually made their back better then it was before. having pins, rods, cages, etc... in ur back is a huge risk. and fusing the disc means there is no movement of those discs any longer ever again. there are risks as there are with all back surgeries and some come out better then they did before but the fact is the majority do not.

in fact, I know one guy who has since retired and has had so many back surgeries that he is hunched over like a 95 yr old man now and he is 42 yrs old. seeing him scares the hell out of me.

I can remember going to the neuro surgeon a few years back and demanding back surgery cause I just could not get any relief from anything I did. sitting in the car, laying on my couch, standing up, or whatever.

I was at my wits end. when the surgeon looked at my MRI he stated surgery was not the answer and then he put his arm on my shoulder and said "Son, dont let anyone cut you cause ive seen olympic athletes with herniated discs like urs and they have all repaired themselves over time". he went on to say I get paid to do back surgery and over 90% of the people that get back surgery dont need back surgery so listen to what im saying. needless to say I was quite pissed off with him cause I wanted relief and after (3) years and just could not take it any longer.

but he was right and within about (1) year I got 100% better and have not had any back issues since. how that is I have no idea cause I was f-en miserable!

just think long and hard before you decide to have surgery. I know for some they absolutely do need it but statistically most do not.

If your disc is HERNIATED ONLY, it can likely be healed (thru Physical Therapy) without surgery (and I'd agree with Brett that would be a last resort in that instance); shop a Surgeon to try and find one that says surgery is LAST resort (some just can't wait to cut you - god complex).

If it's RUPTURED, then it' unlikely you can get relief WITHOUT surgery.

Best of luck.

had 2 herniated discs for years and finally folded for surgery in 06'. took me 1 month to rest up and back to work but a bit unstable for full duty. i didn't touch the bike for about 2 months and i was good to go. doc said lay off the snowboarding and mountain biking but i blew that completely off. heal right and rest up for a couple of months and ease back in your routine. occasionally, i will suffer a muscle strain but i have figured out when my back has had enough before it gives out on me. my advice, would be to wear a kidney belt when riding to alleviate the strain from being hunched over for an extensive period of time. good luck and don't sweat it.

I had c 6&7 fused back in 1999 and have no regrets doing so. One disk was ruptured and the other herniated. I had lost use of my right tricep muscle and the pain was beyond any pain pills I took ( loritab15) I was either going to get something done or kill myself. It took weeks before the pain subsided but it finally did. I still have numbness in my hands but ill take that over what I was going through before surgery. I consider myself fortunate to only have a few pains here and there. Think long and hard before going under the knife. Not all people get relief from it. Oh and get a second or even third opinion. I went to two different doctors who had different ideas of how to treat me and I chose the one that seemed more confident in his approach. I wish you the best. Its not an easy way to live.

ya I have def thought long and hard about this, and it is going on 4 years I've been dealing with this, with multiple injections, (I lost count after 15) cortizone, and different steroids, months of physical therapy, chrack to practer, lol, nerve testing, acupuncture, countless medications, lots and lots of ice. I'm kinda at my wits end here fellas. I've been to over ten different docs trying dif ****. thanks for the respones guys ill let u know how it works out

One more thing. If you do have surgery and have fusions done ask about using cadaver bone( I chose this option). It will be one less surgery and I've heard its very painful to have bone taken from your hip.

One more thing. If you do have surgery and have fusions done ask about using cadaver bone( I chose this option). It will be one less surgery and I've heard its very painful to have bone taken from your hip.

I opted to not use cadaver bone. Just the thought of a dead persons bone used inside me wasn't flying with me. I can understand life saving organs and transplants but for a fusion I'll use my own bone, zero chance of rejection too. The fusion area will hurt more than your hip will.

I opted to not use cadaver bone. Just the thought of a dead persons bone used inside me wasn't flying with me. I can understand life saving organs and transplants but for a fusion I'll use my own bone, zero chance of rejection too. The fusion area will hurt more than your hip will.

Donoer bone is different, there are no living cells so the chance of rejection is pretty much gone and you almost eliminate infection as well.
I've had no problems with mine.

Everyone is different. Since my last surg. in 06 I have been through countless hrs of therapy. I did just what the Dr told me for almost 2 years with no results. Like I had said before the pool therapy helped me the most but it got to where I had to go so much I could not afford it anymore. I tried to go as an independent but that also got to exp. in the end. I am sure others feel this way at times. I would love to work out everyday but the pain is so bad I just don't have the energy it takes to do that. I am sure you are in as much pain as any of us that have been through this and I cant stress enough how important it is to shop around and get as much info and options as you can. I can promise you this. The pain you are in now is nothing to what it can be if things are not done right. Some Dr's, just don't care because they are not the one that suffers if they make a mistake. Mine told me it was like changing a tire for him he had done it so many times. Well, if he only knew how wrong he was for me. No one or anything should have to suffer that much. I will say a prayer for you as well as all the others that suffer with this thing called back pain. :please: I wish you the best

Mine told me it was like changing a tire for him he had done it so many times.
that would have been the time I found another doctor. we trust that our doctors are going to do perform surgery correctly but like in any profession there are decent doctors that get it right MOST of the time and there are GREAT doctors that get it right nearly every time.

I still dont understand why I dont have any more back problems considering I that them every day for (3) years. I do have chronic lyme disease and my Testosterone was VERY low at one time and my doctor said that low T can cause muscle issues around the lower spine causing severe back pain.

I ended up getting on Testosterone treatment and I will say since then my back pain have simply disappeared. again, a small miracle for me since I battled it for so long and it was literally consuming me.

was it low T that was the cause and cure of my back pain? I really dont know but for me personally when I raised my test levels up I healed.

He told me that just as I was about to go under. :banghead: I am in the process of get the T treatment now. Mine was not low the last time I had it checked but right now I am willing to try anything to see if it helps. Glad to here it helped you.

I had surgery for a herniated disc; it caused 3+ years of agony for me before I was finally diagnosed and scheduled with a surgeon.

Surgery was very non-invasive and healing just took time. Right after surgery, I had 9 weeks of nothing too strenuous, and couldn't return to work for the 8 hr desk job. After that, I was back to work, would feel pain in that region of my back if I overdid things (and still do actually), but I'd say it was a year before I truly felt I was healed, and 2 years before I stopped thinking about it. I was able to ride my Busa 3 months post-surgery, so that was good :thumbsup:

Good luck!!! Just do what the doc says and listen to your body; don't re-injure yourself after surgery...

Back